New coach should keep Joseph and Applewhite

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Trev was a big reason Mickey came back to NU to be an assistant this year in the first place, and Trev has been pretty open and honest with Mickey about the head coaching hiring process and Mickey's overall candidacy.  Mickey is only a legitimate candidate for the job because he's the interim head coach.  He wouldn't have been a candidate for the head coaching job if Frost had been fired.  I think a lot will depend on who the next head coach is, but if there is mutual interest from Joseph, the next head coach, and Alberts, I see no reason why Mickey wouldn't be retained.

Well, of course. If all parties think it's a good idea then it will happen. I just don't think all the parties will have mutual interest. In particular, I think MJ will have better offers unless we offer him HC or OC, which I don't think we will. But who knows - we're all just guessing.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  But, ultimately, it needs to be the new HC's decision.  He needs to have the staff he wants.

This is one of the reasons why I hate coaching changes.  They have to happen and I support Frost being let go.  But, there's always someone like a player or assistant coach that you want to keep.  Many times you just don't.  But, you have to move on and hope the new staff is much better as a whole and the new players they bring in are better than the ones that leave.

I 100% agree with this sentiment.  I think Trev will recommend that Mickey (and possibly others) be retained as full-time assistants, but it's completely the new HC's decision.  Forcing a head coach to keep an assistant is not the best way to start an AD/Head Coach relationship.

I think I'm still under this train of thought:  Trev hired Mickey and gave him the associate HC job.  Why would he give him that title?  He knew he was going to fire Frost if he didn't win.  He could have just promoted anyone to interim HC.  He gave it to Mickey knowing he was going to take over.  Now if Mickey wins a few games he is the new HC.  Probably keeps most of the offensive staff and finds some replacements on D.  If he doesn't win... Probably still HC because nobody else wants it 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

22 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think I'm still under this train of thought:  Trev hired Mickey and gave him the associate HC job.  Why would he give him that title?  He knew he was going to fire Frost if he didn't win.  He could have just promoted anyone to interim HC.  He gave it to Mickey knowing he was going to take over.  Now if Mickey wins a few games he is the new HC.  Probably keeps most of the offensive staff and finds some replacements on D.  If he doesn't win... Probably still HC because nobody else wants it 

That's where you are wrong.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I concur.  

It's Mickey's job this year and next.  Huskers will win 4 more for sure, which is more than the Huskers ever did under xHCSF (conference games).  Considering all that went down this season, that will be very impressive to accomplish.

If he wins 3 or less, bring on the next coach and let him pick his own staff.  I just don't see us winning 3 or less (remainder of the season).  Unless the defense stays the same. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, runningblind said:

MJ or Applewhite may not fit what the new coach wants.  They may have someone better they can hire.  Suggesting they must keep someone is just silly.  If it works great, but we need a fresh start. 

Absolutely. Quite frankly I think fans are being irrational on the Mj hire. Right now he has one game and it was ugly. I’m not even sure what they think he brings in the big picture compared to experienced head coaches other than he has Nebraska ties and they like his podium statements. Been down that road too much. 

• Plus1 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:34 PM, TGHusker said:

Get Aranda and I think he would find an important role for MJ and Busch since he coached with them at LSU

Ideal situation IMO

Hire Aranda

Give MJ AHC/RC, Keep Applewhite RB, Whipple OC

Give Busch DC title, but it will be Aranda's Defense.  

Go find a Special Teams Guru.

• TBH 1
36 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Ideal situation IMO

Hire Aranda

We need to see what Busch can do with the defense before we keep him at that position.  To me, if we keep him, his chances of staying the ST coordinator is more likely.  We have seen improvement there under him.

• Plus1 3
18 hours ago, admo said:

I concur.  

It's Mickey's job this year and next.  Huskers will win 4 more for sure, which is more than the Huskers ever did under xHCSF (conference games).  Considering all that went down this season, that will be very impressive to accomplish.

If he wins 3 or less, bring on the next coach and let him pick his own staff.  I just don't see us winning 3 or less (remainder of the season).  Unless the defense stays the same. 

I just don't see them getting better. The DL is absolutely the worst crew the Huskers have sent out there in a long time. There is not a single nose type player that can stop anything and keep the LBs clean.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Warrior said:

Ideal situation IMO

Hire Aranda

I know Aranda has worked with Joseph and Busch, but I seriously doubt he’s going to accept holding on to nearly half of the assistant coaching staff on a team that will most likely end the season with 3-4 wins. Also, why force Whipple onto Aranda? Let Aranda decide what type of offense he wants and how it COMPLEMENTS his defense. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Aranda or whomever the next HC turns out to be, will certainly demand a staff and related people and operations to suit his system.  He wouldn’t be a good HC if he simply follows orders.  I’m sure that was Riley’s burden.  Frost just refused to listen to anybody - apparently on anything.  And when forced to do so, he basically checked out and quit.  

If NU had a great HC prospect on the staff, a plan like this might work.  Aranda seems like a pretty good coach with better than most potential to be exactly what DONU needs right now.  

I am favorably impressed by MJ so far but he has an impossible task to win the job with this team.  Bless the man for all he does.  I’d almost like to see him have another year as interim HC IF a complete new staff with top notch HC is not to be had.  We need to get this right for the long term.  Choose carefully.