Frost Fired!

1 minute ago, irafreak said:

Exactly. The right call was to end this after last season. 

I pushed for Frost to be fired last season.  However, there were still a good portion of the fan base who wanted Frost to get more time.  Trev took that fact, re-negotiated Frost's buyout, to the current amount, and allowed Frost's failures to get even the ardent Frost supporters to agree to firing Frost.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Booster, "I'm willing to write checks for all of the buyouts and all of the next assistant coaches."

Trev, "Maxine, please get Scott Frost on the phone."

And that would be a bad decision by Trev. Instead Trev says, "Done. In 3 weeks we'll announce it and get make that money you're giving go even farther than if I did it today."

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

These are ridiculous.

Trev isn’t just tossing him an addl $7.5M. I doubt he has a coach ready to sign but it does give him maximum time to find one. And this was in no way incompetent, it simply had to be done and was entirely due to the lack of performance by Frost. The addl $7.5M is not an issue for UNL, really.

Most likely explanation is that they finally reached the tipping point with more big $$ donors. The restructuring Trev did was likely a compromise between firing him sooner and some donors that couldn’t let go of Frost yet. It was earned and needed to happen. How can it be incompetence?

The additional $7.5 million is still money we could have had going forward instead of paying it to the fired coach. For the next set of assistant coaches, NIL money, etc.

Firing Frost now instead of in 3 weeks is just frustration and knee-jerk reaction instead of careful planning. Handicapping the next coach/NIL deals is not a good way to move forward.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Color me blind but this feels exactly like the Mike Riley firing. Like Riley, Frost fired all his assistants on one side of the ball. Many called for MR to be fired early in his final season but there was no point as SF was patiently waiting. I do NOT think Trev has anyone lined up right now.

I do think this is a statement to let the rest of the country know that we have a job opening. It does give us an advantage as far as negotiating goes. This allows Trev ample time to contact HC’s agents. He can’t talk to them directly but at least he can ask: Would you be interested?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

And that would be a bad decision by Trev. Instead Trev says, "Done. In 3 weeks we'll announce it and get make that money you're giving go even farther than if I did it today."

The additional $7.5 million is still money we could have had going forward instead of paying it to the fired coach. For the next set of assistant coaches, NIL money, etc.

Firing Frost now instead of in 3 weeks is just frustration and knee-jerk reaction instead of careful planning. Handicapping the next coach/NIL deals is not a good way to move forward.

This just isn’t how it works. Like, at all. 

• Thanks 1