Frost Fired!

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Handicapping the program by keeping a deadman walking would’ve been more harmful.

And maybe I don’t understand NIL money but I don’t believe it can flow directly from the athletic dept to the players so that’s a non-issue.

It boils down to this. It was pretty much a s#!t sandwich anyway you look at it but it was deserved and probably overdue as is. I just don’t see how the timing can be questioned. Once you know you will be moving in a new direction, rip that bandage off and get going.

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Can somebody explain to me how athletic department money can end up as NIL payments to players? I’m genuinely interested to have that explained.

The discussion was about a booster paying to cover the cost of the coaches buyouts. It's not that the university would use the money directly to NIL, but rather that the booster could use the money for NIL.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We're probably just going to have to agree to disagree but $7.5 million is still a lot of money in football. Texas A&M spent $34 million on NIL deals last year, which I believe was the most of any school. $7.5 million is 22% of that. It would make a huge difference in NU NIL deals.

And it's not just about the amount but also the timing. We're talking about 3 weeks, which at this point isn't going make any difference in a coaching search. If this was towards the end of the season, then those weeks might matter but not now.

I doubt I'm convincing anyone, so I'll quit posting about it.

You have a valid viewpoint.  Trust me, I'm very surprised it happened now instead of October 2nd.  

I'm also incredibly happy it finally happened.  And I got over the 7.5m instantly. :clap

5 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I'll never feel horrible for Frost.

Why the f#&% not?

He tried his absolute best. There is not another single person on the planet that cares about the football program more than he does. He simply couldn’t get the job done. It wasn’t for lack of caring or trying.

I’ll stop there cuz anything else I have to say to this asinine comment will get me banned.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You have a valid viewpoint.  Trust me, I'm very surprised it happened now instead of October 2nd.  

I'm also incredibly happy it finally happened.  And I got over the 7.5m instantly. :clap

Yeah this is where I am. I may not totally get the timing, but I don’t care. I wasn’t even going to watch next week, but now I’m curious. And I think 7 mil is a totally reasonable amount to invest for my viewership ;)

53 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Because they honestly thought it wouldn't be this bad. Now it's about branding and optics. 

I'd like to say that this horrendous start to the season was the only thing to silence Frost supporters, but even a few hours ago the Husker social media universe was still popping with fans supporting Frost, claiming these rebuilds take years, worrying that no coach will ever want to come here if we fire coaches, and getting angry at Frost-doubters for being fairweather fans. 

No matter what side of the fence you're on, the season just got more interesting. I don't think I could have taken another sideline shot of Scott Frost wishing it would all be over. 

Given all the data points from the prior 4 seasons, I am not sure why anyone would honestly feel this season would be much better.  Frost's current win percentage this season (.333) is close to his winning percentage after 4 seasons (.341).  The data existed last season to let him go, but if Trev was going to gamble in an attempt to save some money, he could have waited 2 more games.  Instead he took this middle ground which is now a lose/lose situation.  We do not get the benefits of a restructured contract and we did not fire Frost after Season 4 to give a whole new coach a chance to make this year a success.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah, I definitely see that viewpoint as well. And I know that many feel better with Frost getting fired. But I don't care if Frost was fired or retained, I just want the program to be good again, which requires resources to compete against other schools. Resources that I think we're needlessly throwing away right now that could help in getting the program back on track.

9 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Sipple took a lot of grief here and on the other boards about the suggesting HCSF might be terminated before the Oct. 1 but he turned out to be correct.

Did he say it might happen before October 1?  Or that he had to win 8 games?

He definitely said the latter.  I don't recall seeing the former.  And they are obviously not the same.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1