Frost Fired!

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

The bar for the next coach is set so low 

Agreed - I'm a die hard fan.  Loyal to the bone.  And I am afraid to swing big with this program anymore.  I just want to win 6-9 games a season to remove embarrasment of being a fan of this program.  To me,this is proof the bar is low.  I'll be content with someone who just does the job and does it with as little excitement as possible.

• Fire 1

Frost had to go already last year, Trev struck while the iron was hot.  He gave Frost the rope that the boosters demanded.   Now loosing to GS, he had the opportunity to do it now.  If they pull off Oklahoma with a W then but then tank the rest of the season it gets harder.  So get done what needs done and move on.  Full disclosure, I'm on record calling Frost a PAB after he got hired, so good riddance, my aversion to him goes back first hand to when he was a student athelete.  Never a Frost fan.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think retaining Frost or firing Frost was the unforced error. There were arguments either way. It's the timing.

All of those minor things add up, especially for a program that's as bad as we are right now. Compared to a large enough sample like the last 20 years, it's certainly not a major issue. But it just seems like we're  needlessly giving away what could be helpful for us and get even farther behind compared to the rest of the B1G.

I don’t disagree.

It is hard to fathom that it would even be possible to get further behind the rest of the B1G than we are now. We are the doormat of the West and the conference. Nobody and I mean nobody is afraid to play us. Used to be teams were beat by our reputation before they even took to the field. Not remotely true any longer.

Three weeks isn’t much of a head start but it is a start and a chance to begin in a direction that doesn’t involve a lame duck coach. (Ha, unintended pun :lol:). I’m not going to worry about money that apparently Trev and the chancellors aren’t worried about but yeah, I know what you are saying.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm not hanging Trev.  Maybe it's on him.  Maybe it's not.

But the fact remains that there was a way to go about it that could have been much more beneficial to the program with (basically) no ill effects.  I think it would have been significantly better to get more value out of those dollars.  Not sure why that's so controversial.

In regard to the money, why is it a foregone conclusion that the tab had to be picked up by a booster? I know that used to be the norm but this is a totally different age.  Usually these contracts are paid out over a number of years and with these obscene tv deals and conference payouts can the University not afford to pay him $2.14 million over the next 7 years or something similar?  I mean universities can't actually put any money towards NIL deals, that obviously all has to come from outside money.  It would certainly make more sense for a booster to use that money towards NIL if it was feasible for the University to cover the buyout.  Maybe that's not at all possible I'm just not sure that its a certainty that a booster had to pick up the entire $7.5 million. 

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Given the benefit of hindsight, I of course agree Trev should have canned Frost last year. Given what everyone knew at the time, it seemed like a great win-win on Trev's part - he either wins because Frost wins or he wins because he has a lot more money for the next coaching staff or NIL. But now gets gets neither and the cost of correcting "sooner" rather than 3 weeks from now is what I think is a huge mistake.

You are forgetting that part of the deal for Frost to be retained was reducing his buyout down to $15mm from $25mm. Trev has already saved $10mm by his moves last year.

• Plus1 1

Maybe someone posted but I saw a good point that with the Big Noon Fox game this Saturday is FREE coaching hire press. 

Also, Chinander should have been gone right with Frost. Chins just gave up a home Nebraska record vs Georgia Southern who RAN THE TRIPLE OPTION LAST YEAR. Came in year 1 (game 2) and absolutely ran up and down the field on you. Pathetic