Frost Fired!

I thought Frost getting his pay restored from $4M to $5M was a separate metric from getting a year extension. Turns out they were the same, 6 wins and bowl. There was another clause disclosed in the ruling, Frost wouldn't be fired for the analysts that was caught coaching.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2022/10/21/nebraska-agreed-not-fire-scott-frost-possible-ncaa-violations/10554260002/

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gage County said:

I thought Frost getting his pay restored from $4M to $5M was a separate metric from getting a year extension. Turns out they were the same, 6 wins and bowl. There was another clause disclosed in the ruling, Frost wouldn't be fired for the analysts was caught was coaching.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2022/10/21/nebraska-agreed-not-fire-scott-frost-possible-ncaa-violations/10554260002/

The 6 win metric wasn’t a guarantee the he wouldn’t be fired. It was a metric which Frost could use to get back to his $5 million a year salary, if he was retained as head coach. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Our defense has been playing pretty well the last three weeks.

It's pretty sad that three of our last four head coaches have been (primarily) undone by their inability to hire a competent Defensive Coordinator and/or stick with a guy who isn't getting the job done for too long.

Frost (I’m assuming he’s one of the 3), was not undone by chins.  Chins wasn’t great, but….Frost was undone by himself.  :cheers

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
10 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Frost (I’m assuming he’s one of the 3), was not undone by chins.  Chins wasn’t great, but….Frost was undone by himself.  :cheers

Eh ... if we had fired the defensive staff last year instead of the offensive staff we are probably bowl eligible this year.

And there are definitely other factors.  But being generally not very good on defense was the biggest thing over the last five years.

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... if we had fired the defensive staff last year instead of the offensive staff we are probably bowl eligible this year.

And there are definitely other factors.  But being generally not very good on defense was the biggest thing over the last five years.

The defense was keeping Nebraska in games last year.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2

• 4 weeks later...

Imo, the team that finished 2022 was somewhat better than any team Frost ever fielded.  Probably as good as any Riley had as well.   Still not a real good team but 2022 team steadily played better fundamentals football.  
The team that beat Iowa would have been bowling IF it was healthy and played to the level of the Iowa game all season.  

Of course, most teams typically get better during the course of a typical season.  Injuries and attitude and desire often hurt progress as the motivation (goals etc) change and effort or lack thereof factors in too.  

Mickey & Busch did well to keep the team playing hard despite the losses etc.   imo, Busch simplified maybe but also anticipated well and took smart gambles in timely situations (I.e ‘coached’ smarter), game planned better, etc.  I had given Chin more credit, perhaps, than he may have deserved at times.  I don’t think Chin was bad but Busch was better in the time and circumstances he had.  

Hindsight is 20-20 perhaps but looking back now, Frost just seems to have been a passing game coordinator in the HC position.  He had his mind narrowly focused on the passing offense (play design, recruiting, practices, play calling, etc).  Thus, major areas of the team were disregarded ((ST, recruiting across the team, etc).

It’s hard to understand how - over time at least - he didn’t come to see the need / urgency for building better position groups outside of the offensive ‘skill’ groups (WRs RBs, TEs).  You would have thought QB would have been the ultimate focal point for Frost in this tunnel vision to passing approach.   But, my guess is Frost actually believed Adrian was THE answer, period.  He thot that from day one I believe and never could even consider alternatives.  His transfer must have been very hard to reconcile and the realization of Frost’s colossal fail as HEAD coach may still not be fully accepted in his mind.  

If he returns to coaching, I hope he goes back to doing what he does well - passing game coordinator.   HC at a small college perhaps but frankly he’s better off being his best.  Imo.  

Hopefully, Rhule is good at putting the right people in their natural ‘right’ positions and builds a complete team.  That’s a great place to start to Make Nebraska Great Again.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1