Frost Fired!

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

Good to see that Frost's staff is still blaming Riley for their failures

Sometimes the same coach who thrives in one transition flops in the next. In December 2015, Scott Frost took over a UCF team that went 0-12 before he arrived in Orlando. In his debut season, the Knights made a bowl game. In his second year, they went 13-0 and finished No. 6. Then he left for his alma mater, Nebraska.

Frost didn’t achieve one winning season in five years with the Huskers, going 16-31. His predecessor, Mike Riley, finished 19-19.

Two of Frost’s assistants, who were with him at both schools and were granted anonymity to speak candidly about their experiences, said the opposing personalities they followed played a factor. “At UCF, we were following George O’Leary, who was a real (hard-a$$),” said one assistant. “(At Nebraska), we were following Mike Riley, who was a nice guy, and so it was like a fire that we never put out.”

The other assistant concurred. “At UCF, they just wanted people to love them up and make football fun again,” he said. “Those kids wanted to be great. They just wanted to be loved and understood. We were a young staff. We’d play noon basketball. Frost would be playing too, and the players were jumping into it with us. Practices were short and fun. We coached off emotion.

“At Nebraska, I think they’d been chasing (recruiting) stars … and we (ended up) letting more things go.”

That lack of accountability seemed to be the Huskers’ undoing, as they lost a stunning amount of tight games.

(Also I saw The Athletic is running a $1/month for a year Opening Day special.  Well worth it, not just for the Husker/CFB coverage, but for all sports IMO)

So they couldn't adapt to a different situation? That's a pretty poor trait in a coaching staff...

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

12 hours ago, ZRod said:

So they couldn't adapt to a different situation? That's a pretty poor trait in a coaching staff...

This is dead on assessment.

There are so many factors that make an organization successful.  Ultimately it’s the leadership.  We talk “Football team” and “coach”, but there’s very little difference than “Organization” and “leader” in my opinion.

We’ve all seen incompetent or suspect leaders  that absolutely stumble into success.  They get exposed eventually or they keep job hopping for a while until they get exposed.

Frost and his crew lacked the leadership and experience to turn the program around.  The truth is, whether it football or life, there is a lack of strong leaders.

Im in full Kool Aid mode, but I think we got a leader that also coaches football.

• Plus1 4

The Scott era went so bafflingly bad that it challenges what I thought I knew about sports, statistics, life, God etc. There’s an element of chance in any coaching hire. But never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined it going the way it did. The twists and turns, near misses, almosts, and would’ve could’ve should’ve’s. Just utterly insane. 

The quotes pretty much confirm what we all already knew. It’s still a bit jarring to hear it confirmed directly from the coaches involved though. The program was in a tailspin and they weren’t capable of fixing it. I don’t necessarily see that as “Still blaming Riley” but rather acknowledging that we had back to back disastrous hires. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

If anything, the stay loose, have fun, and "play with your players" vibe they say Frost & staff cultivated at UCF seems to have more in common with the Riley era than against it.

Is the article implying that the more disciplined UCF coach who passed along an 0-12 team gave Frost more disciplined players at UCF than he found at Nebraska?  Are they hinting that the expectations at UCF came with less pressure than they did at Nebraska? No s#!t?

How could you look at the Nebraska situation in 2017 and not know what to expect coming in? Wasn't the whole Scott Frost insurance policy the fact that he knew Nebraska football and Nebraska expectations like nobody else? 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wasn't the whole Scott Frost insurance policy the fact that he knew Nebraska football and Nebraska expectations like nobody else? 

That was the narrative but looking back we should have known better.  Frost left for Stanford and transferred back into a well oiled machine. He also was not well liked if I recall and got ragged on by other players for lacking qualitites/traits they desired. He was a part of the environment, but had no influence on creating it or keeping it going, others did.  That is exactly how his coaching tenure turned out as well, he couldn't create a strong environment himself and we carried right on being soft, weak, and full of sprinkles.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If anything, the stay loose, have fun, and "play with your players" vibe they say Frost & staff cultivated at UCF seems to have more in common with the Riley era than against it.

Is the article implying that the more disciplined UCF coach who passed along an 0-12 team gave Frost more disciplined players at UCF than he found at Nebraska?  Are they hinting that the expectations at UCF came with less pressure than they did at Nebraska? No s#!t?

How could you look at the Nebraska situation in 2017 and not know what to expect coming in? Wasn't the whole Scott Frost insurance policy the fact that he knew Nebraska football and Nebraska expectations like nobody else? 

0-12 is a smokescreen for the fact they beat #6 Baylor in the Fiesta bowl just two years earlier.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

0-12 is a smokescreen for the fact they beat #6 Baylor in the Fiesta bowl just two years earlier.

Thank you. That UCF team worst season prior to 0-12 was 9 wins IIRC.  Frost inherited winners.  Frost sucked at NU.  Plain and simple. The worst coach in NU history.  I was excited when he was hired and glad when he was fired all but 2 years too late.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, Fru said:

The Scott era went so bafflingly bad that it challenges what I thought I knew about sports, statistics, life, God etc. There’s an element of chance in any coaching hire. But never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined it going the way it did. The twists and turns, near misses, almosts, and would’ve could’ve should’ve’s. Just utterly insane. 

The quotes pretty much confirm what we all already knew. It’s still a bit jarring to hear it confirmed directly from the coaches involved though. The program was in a tailspin and they weren’t capable of fixing it. I don’t necessarily see that as “Still blaming Riley” but rather acknowledging that we had back to back disastrous hires. 

Riley had a 9 win season, Frost won 16 in 5 years....Never showed improvement in any area of NU football.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, lo country said:

Riley had a 9 win season, Frost won 16 in 5 years....Never showed improvement in any area of NU football.  

Riley took over a program that had 7 straight 9+ win seasons, 7 straight bowl appearances, and 3 conference championship game appearances.

Do you truly in your heart believe that that paper tiger 9 win team in 2016 was the result of Riley's illustrious coaching skills? Or was it because he took over a solid program with a solid roster?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Fru said:

Riley took over a program that had 7 straight 9+ win seasons, 7 straight bowl appearances, and 3 conference championship game appearances.

Do you truly in your heart believe that that paper tiger 9 win team in 2016 was the result of Riley's illustrious coaching skills? Or was it because he took over a solid program with a solid roster?

I truly think Riley sucked and Frost sucked more.  Wish we hadn't fired Bo and had given Frank one more season. And I also think this shows how far we as a team and fan base has fallen that we are discussing which coach was worse (not aimed at you, just where we are as fans). And we (fans) actually try to justify one was better.  

I also believe this staff is light years ahead of the previous 2 thus far.  Actually seem to have a plan and the methodology to successfully implement said plan.  Now if we lose to Prime.....:D

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, lo country said:

I truly think Riley sucked and Frost sucked more.  Wish we hadn't fired Bo and had given Frank one more season. And I also think this shows how far we as a team and fan base has fallen that we are discussing which coach was worse (not aimed at you, just where we are as fans). And we (fans) actually try to justify one was better.  

I also believe this staff is light years ahead of the previous 2 thus far.  Actually seem to have a plan and the methodology to successfully implement said plan.  Now if we lose to Prime.....:D

Then we fire Matt Rhule and hire Prime right :D???? That should get us to winning. Jk

12 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This is dead on assessment.

There are so many factors that make an organization successful.  Ultimately it’s the leadership.  We talk “Football team” and “coach”, but there’s very little difference than “Organization” and “leader” in my opinion.

We’ve all seen incompetent or suspect leaders  that absolutely stumble into success.  They get exposed eventually or they keep job hopping for a while until they get exposed.

Frost and his crew lacked the leadership and experience to turn the program around.  The truth is, whether it football or life, there is a lack of strong leaders.

Im in full Kool Aid mode, but I think we got a leader that also coaches football.

There were failures on so many levels. For all the talk about culture, that was among the worst in my opinion. A winning one can't be established if the leadership isn't living by the standards themselves.

And you've got to be yourself whatever "it" is. Individuals in organizations can relate with what's real. It seemed to me that Scott Frost was attempting an identity shift as odd as that might be. No matter what one thinks of his personality, he didn't seem to be the coach that he was at UCF. 

His organization lacked commitment, enthusiasm and competence. Offered lots of excuses. Didn't have the answers or establish a shared vision for his team.