Frost Fired!

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

It's literally the amount of money that could pay the next assistant coaches. And we're talking about waiting 3 weeks, which isn't going to make any difference for what coaches are available to hire next. I mean, Trev could still pull this off and get a good hire, but this sort of idiotic decision-making makes me think he can't get it done.

Booster, "I'm willing to write checks for all of the buyouts and all of the next assistant coaches."

Trev, "Maxine, please get Scott Frost on the phone."

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

There's a reason why he chose to pull the trigger now, and my guess is that his target is currently not coaching and he's trying to get a deal done quickly. Meyer will be in town next weekend... perhaps an audition of sorts?

I find that extremely unlikely, but I'll eat my words if Trev has a new HC hired in the next 3 weeks. But I think we're going to end up waiting until the end of the season just like every other team that fires a coach this season.

2 minutes ago, thatguy said:

I don’t know. That seems a bit of a stretch if you don’t consider the reasoning. What if a booster paid it? What if the athletic dept loses $20 mil over the season if frost remains? What if he was talked out of firing frost last year?

None of that is a good reason not to wait 3 weeks. The same booster paying the same amount gives Trev an additional $7.5 million for hiring new coaches. We'll find out over the next few weeks and months but this just seems like a rash decision.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I can only see 3 reasons for Trev to have fired Frost now:

1. Trev is helping Frost collect an extra $7.5 million since he's planning to fire him anyways
  2. Trev has a coach ready to take over that cannot wait another 3 weeks
  3. Trev is incompetent

These are ridiculous.

Trev isn’t just tossing him an addl $7.5M. I doubt he has a coach ready to sign but it does give him maximum time to find one. And this was in no way incompetent, it simply had to be done and was entirely due to the lack of performance by Frost. The addl $7.5M is not an issue for UNL, really.

Most likely explanation is that they finally reached the tipping point with more big $$ donors. The restructuring Trev did was likely a compromise between firing him sooner and some donors that couldn’t let go of Frost yet. It was earned and needed to happen. How can it be incompetence?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

There's a reason why he chose to pull the trigger now, and my guess is that his target is currently not coaching and he's trying to get a deal done quickly. Meyer will be in town next weekend... perhaps an audition of sorts?

I think we will get some answers today during the press conference. Although I expect Trev’s answers with the media will be very business like. He won’t delve into a search right now, but I do think he will make it known what qualities he’s looking for in a HC. I also think he will go on record as to giving Mickey this opportunity to turn things around. I don’t expect this press conference to go beyond 30 min.

I do think it would be wise to allow Scott an opportunity to thank everyone. He deserves as much. I don’t see Trev as the kind of guy to not allow this.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Dear goodness we are stupid and deserve to be the laughingstock.

Not looking for a debate, just genuinely asking what you wanted to happen from here.  Do you just disagree with the timing or do you just disagree with the decision all together?  Again, just asking what's you thought was the correct move from here.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, Dansker said:

I do think it would be wise to allow Scott an opportunity to thank everyone. He deserves as much. I don’t see Trev as the kind of guy to not allow this.

I don't watch a lot of "we just fired our coach" press conferences, but I think the Riley firing was the first time I've even heard about the former coach being there for their termination presser.

4 minutes ago, River-runner said:

Based on Frost's accomplishments before Nebraska, I see this as a Nebraska problem.  This program has been without direction for over 20 years now, something is just wrong in Lincoln.  Why would any great Coach now risk their career coming to Nebraska?  How will a future Head Coach recruit to Lincoln?

Just the facts Ma'am.......Please use facts to tell me I'm wrong.

I’m not sure an urban or stoops is risking their career future.  Let’s be honest they are towards the end anyway.  But maybe they want one more challenge.   Nebraska is no worse than kstate. Minnisota. Wisconsin in terms of a place to live , goto school , etc.  But yet those teams compete with recruits.    Nebraska can also.