Frost Fired!

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I can just as easily say spending $7.5 million to gain 3 weeks before firing a coach isn't the smart financial decision you think it is.

How much did the Huskers spend on NIL this last season? Was it even $7.5 million? Or how much on assistant coaches? Claiming that $7.5 million doesn't matter seems pretty unfounded.

I'm open to how gaining 3 weeks was worth $7.5 million. How did that help the program moving forward vs spending that money on new coaches or NIL?

The answer is, the next three weeks likely weren’t worth the extra $7.5M it cost but it’s a strawman proposal because we don’t know for sure that it was even an option to use that money for things other than the buyout.

Hypothetically, a big donor approaches Trev, says here’s the extra $7.5M to do it now. Trev says yeah but in 3 weeks we could use that money more beneficially. Mr big donor wants to feel like he’s calling the shots and says no, now or never…..

The media money increases by what, $45M next year? It’s not like things aren’t getting paid for now. It was going to happen sooner or later. Sure it was a waste, unless things were happening we are unaware of, like everyone in the program knowing it was a foregone conclusion…oh wait, we did know that. I think the best thing for the program was to start looking forward instead over treading water for a few more weeks over what amounts to chump change for the program. It also sends a message to potential coaching hires that winning is what matters here and they will be taken care of monetarily. They won’t get jerked around over a few mill but they damn well better win.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It literally is how it could work.

Or it literally couldn’t. People donate money for specific purposes. How do you know that extra $7.5 million for the coach dismissal wasn’t marked as only for that and nothing else?  You don’t. You weren’t there. You have absolutely no idea how this went down. None. So stop this. You’re better than this Mavric. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The answer is, the next three weeks likely weren’t worth the extra $7.5M it cost but it’s a strawman proposal because we don’t know for sure that it was even an option to use that money for things other than the buyout.

Hypothetically, a big donor approaches Trev, says here’s the extra $7.5M to do it now. Trev says yeah but in 3 weeks we could use that money more beneficially. Mr big donor wants to feel like he’s calling the shots and says no, now or never…..

The media money increases by what, $45M next year? It’s not like things aren’t getting paid for now. It was going to happen sooner or later. Sure it was a waste, unless things were happening we are unaware of, like everyone in the program knowing it was a foregone conclusion…oh wait, we did know that. I think the best thing for the program was to start looking forward instead over treading water for a few more weeks over what amounts to chump change for the program. It also sends a message to potential coaching hires that winning is what matters here and they will be taken care of monetarily. They won’t get jerked around over a few mill but they damn well better win.

im not sure why this is so hard to understand for some. Sometimes there are things more important than money. 

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Or it literally couldn’t. People donate money for specific purposes. How do you know that extra $7.5 million for the coach dismissal wasn’t marked as only for that and nothing else?  You don’t. You weren’t there. You have absolutely no idea how this went down. None. So stop this. You’re better than this Mavric. 

The idea that there's a booster out there that would pay $7.5 million now to fire Frost but won't spend the same money in 3 weeks to fire Frost but also improve the program going forward is something I find laughable. Sure it's possible, but that really means we're effed as a program having such dumb asses for boosters right when NIL became so important. We don't know for sure what happened and never will, but we can look around and see that $7.5 million would be incredibly helpful for NIL or hiring coaches.

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Ya know what, it happened. It’s a done deal. We can cry over spilt milk and bemoan the how/when/why or we can start looking toward to a hopefully much better future. I’m going with the latter.

True, but this literally just happened in the last few hours, so it's what we have to discuss.

I really do hope this works out, and I was really high on Trev being the AD and his win-win choice of retaining Frost but also having a reduced buyout. This is just such a major self-inflicted wound that I'm pretty shocked Trev messed up so bad. As I posted before, it's possible more comes to light that makes this decision more understandable, but at this point it is what it is.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The idea that there's a booster out there that would pay $7.5 million now to fire Frost but won't spend the same money in 3 weeks to fire Frost but also improve the program going forward is something I find laughable. Sure it's possible, but that really means we're effed as a program having such dumb asses for boosters right when NIL became so important. We don't know for sure what happened and never will, but we can look around and see that $7.5 million would be incredibly helpful for NIL or hiring coaches.

True, but this literally just happened in the last few hours, so it's what we have to discuss.

I really do hope this works out, and I was really high on Trev being the AD and his win-win choice of retaining Frost but also having a reduced buyout. This is just such a major self-inflicted wound that I'm pretty shocked Trev messed up so bad. As I posted before, it's possible more comes to light that makes this decision more understandable, but at this point it is what it is.

I get it. $7.5M or $15M could always be put to better use than paying somebody to not coach here anymore. I’m just choosing to not worry about it because all I (we) can do is speculate and what if it. It happened so I’m already looking forward with renewed hope. If history is any indicator, I’ll be proven the fool.

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

That is exactly what I figured would happen. Trev is smart. He saw that he is losing the fans. Anyone looking at the fans faces can see that frost lost them. 7.5 million is not worth losing the sellout record and the fans support. I guess everyone got what they wanted including Frost. I am sure Frost wanted this more than anyone. He is $7.5 million richer with the same outcome of him leaving. After the northwestern game and the North Dakota game, I am sure frost knew he sealed his fate. Getting $7.5 million more is icing on the cake. His body language on the sideline of yesterday’s game said it all. He was way over his head and had no idea how to lead or coach this team. This was for the best. The damage done by Frost needed to be limited. Coach Joseph cannot do any worse. 

I thought Frost would be fired after this loss but not until after 1 Oct 23 to save the $7.5 million.  I was concerned about having a lame duck acting coach for the rest of the year BUT after learning that fans were chanting Fire Frost while the coach and team were on the field— Trev Alberts really had no choice anymore.  I am sure there were discussions behind the scenes but the time had come.

I am sad for Scott and his family and the assistants to follow.  They did not want this failure but it was apparent there would be no improvement coming.

Mickey Joseph has a big task to pull the team together and make some necessary changes. I want him to succeed.  We need to put a brake on our expectations.  You can’t change some 20 years of problems to be fixed in one week or one season.  There aren’t many Devaneys out there like in 1962.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I get it. $7.5M or $15M could always be put to better use than paying somebody to not coach here anymore. I’m just choosing to not worry about it because all I (we) can do is speculate and what if it. It happened so I’m already looking forward with renewed hope. If history is any indicator, I’ll be proven the fool.

I get it. I'm just in shock over what I think was an unforced error by Trev. I was pretty confident in him going forward but now I just don't know.

Maybe Mickey will pull a shocker next weekend and goes on to win a bunch of games and this ends up being a genius move. (Unfortunately, I think Mickey will be fortunate to stay within 30 points of OU.)

Right decision, wrong timing. I was as big of a fan of this hiring as anyone, but I said the below at the time and it’s no less true today than it was then. What Trev tried to do with this fifth year would have been a nearly unprecedented turnaround. I wish the best for Frost, but it didn’t work out and that has been apparent for years now.

He's an enormous risk. I've said, and will continue to say, I'd fire him in three years of he's not getting the job done

https://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/84819-scott-frost-megathread-all-things-sf/page/1067/#comment-1947832

Is there an option out there as exciting as Frost was? No, this will be a difficult decision. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I'm the exact opposite.   Keeping Frost at all was a huge blunder on Trev's part.  At least he's willing to recognize his mistake and work to correct it sooner rather than later.

Given the benefit of hindsight, I of course agree Trev should have canned Frost last year. Given what everyone knew at the time, it seemed like a great win-win on Trev's part - he either wins because Frost wins or he wins because he has a lot more money for the next coaching staff or NIL. But now gets gets neither and the cost of correcting "sooner" rather than 3 weeks from now is what I think is a huge mistake.

54 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Yes it could.  The donor could use it for NIL.  

I don't know anything about what the conditions are.  And neither do you.

But you're flat wrong to say it couldn't happen.  It definitely could.  It didn't but that doesn't mean it couldn't.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Given the benefit of hindsight, I of course agree Trev should have canned Frost last year. Given what everyone knew at the time, it seemed like a great win-win on Trev's part - he either wins because Frost wins or he wins because he has a lot more money for the next coaching staff or NIL. But now gets gets neither and the cost of correcting "sooner" rather than 3 weeks from now is what I think is a huge mistake.

I never really viewed it as such because it was obvious at the time retaining Frost was huge mistake.  The 7.5m was just another way to justify dragging along an already failed experiment.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

We don't know the whole story, so it's not worth getting worked up about. Some dude may have said he's taking his planned 10 million donation to Iowa City if Frost isn't fired today. Who knows, and who cares right?

Exactly. This whole “that money could goto NIL” argument is stupid. 

1. We have no idea what conversations took place. 
2. People with 7.5 M to throw around are typically used to getting their way. 

Yeah theoretically the money could go to NIL but if the booster or boosters putting up that money say it’s contingent on buying out Frost or there is no money then that’s the reality.