Frost Fired!

I thought this was a good summary of 'Why Now?"

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/dave-feit-today-is-a-sad-day-nebraskas-scott-frost-fired

Here are a handful of reasons (in no particular order) why firing Frost early was the right - if expensive - decision:

• It should be obvious by now that the team's performance was going to not going to improve under Frost's leadership. The weight of playing for their coach's job was impacting performance. Maybe a change can salvage the season for the players and fans.
  • With Fox's "Big Noon Kickoff" coming to town on Saturday, NU can present a positive and optimistic narrative instead of what would have surely been dreary and pessimistic. If they let Trev talk for 3-4 minutes, Nebraska could recoup a lot of value very quickly.
  • The relationships among Frost and the players, media, and fans would likely deteriorate as everybody counted down the days until Oct. 1.
  • Nobody liked Frost - and/or the players - getting booed during games. The contract said that Frost could not be fired until AFTER the Indiana game on Oct. 1. How ugly would that game have been?
  • How could Frost - or any of his assistants - possibly recruit with so much negative speculation over their future?
  • For those who still care about the Sellout Streak, firing Frost now is the best chance for it to survive the season.
  • Frost - the native son and former player - deserves better. No matter what you think of his time here, or the generosity of his buyout, it would be borderline cruel to have make him endure another three weeks of this only for the purpose of saving money. That's not how Nebraskans treat people - even if they were 16-31 as head coach.
  • It gives Trev Alberts more time to plan Nebraska's future, and saves him from having to do it behind Scott Frost's back.

•  
  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

FceF188XkAEF6Gt?format=jpg&name=orig

Apparently this is really on the Joyo sign.

Guy got treated like royalty and every benefit up to and including three weeks from now.  TA was honorable on all fronts.  Talk about privileged.  No coach who was a son of their own got treated as well as Scott.

The folks at Joyo are delusional.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I like Frost as former player, but I underestimated how much people worship the guy.  Borderline creepy, to be honest.   It underscores how important it was to finally just rip the band-aid off and move on.  

And no I'm not talking about anyone specifically or anyone on this board.

I agree that the worshipping of Frost was a little creepy.  I liked the guy as a player, but I didn't treat him as the reason why NU won a National Championship in 1997.  He was a piece, but there were other talents on the team which led the NC team.

I think the "legend of Frost" got a point where he thought he was untouchable, and could do no wrong.  It really fed Frost's ego, which went unchecked until Trev came into the Athletic Department.

EDIT:  There is a small percentage of NU fans who haven't liked Frost the past 25-30 years, whether they are still bitter that he chose Stanford out of high school, or his role in the LP/Kate McKewen incident in 1995.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that the worshipping of Frost was a little creepy.  I liked the guy as a player, but I didn't treat him as the reason why NU won a National Championship in 1997.  He was a piece, but there were other talents on the team which led the NC team.

I think the "legend of Frost" got a point where he thought he was untouchable, and could do no wrong.  It really fed Frost's ego, which went unchecked until Trev came into the Athletic Department.

LOL no one worshipped Frost. No one is storming 1 Memorial trying to get him reinstated. Everyone recognized him as one of us, someone who understood what Husker Football meant to the state. If the glory years of Nebraska are over, many would rather lose with one of our own than turn into a laughingstock changing coaches every year.  - And some, myself included truly believe there is something incredibly wrong with Nebraska Athletics. Something that started the day Osborne retired and has been festering and growing ever more infectious ever since. Heck, maybe it started with Devany's retirement and only Devany being athletic director for Osborne at the time saved us from starting this whole melt down 30 years sooner. Either way, the culture of the athletic department and maybe the entirety of the elite in Lincoln needs to be fixed well before we worry about who the head coach is. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Finish the sentence, "than become a laughing stock replacing coaches every three years." That's not worship, that's resignation, and there is a big portion of the fanbase, myself  not included, that are resigned to the fact that Nebraska has fallen and will not be able to regain elite status. 

Well you said every year, but I knew you didn't mean it so I left it out.

That's worship.   Being okay with losing as long as it's one specific person doing the losing is not a normal level of admiration.  And ultimately not a good thing for the football program.   The band-aid needed to be ripped off.

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well you said every year, but I knew you didn't mean it so I left it out.

That's worship.   Being okay with losing as long as it's one specific person doing the losing is not a normal level of admiration.  And ultimately not a good thing for the football program.   The band-aid needed to be ripped off.

Trev Alberts said it in his opening press conference and repeated it in his press conference on Sunday "One person does not define the Nebraska football/athletic program." 

I don't think Trev was referring to anyone in particular, but it's an interesting quote which he keeps coming back to.  I think at times, Tom Osborne may have thought he was bigger than the program (naming his successor, rather than letting the AD do it) , and I think there were times where Frost was enabled to think he was bigger than the football program (starting with the concessions made to Frost to bring him to NU).

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, The Dude said:

I like Frost as former player, but I underestimated how much people worship the guy.  Borderline creepy, to be honest.   It underscores how important it was to finally just rip the band-aid off and move on.  

And no I'm not talking about anyone specifically or anyone on this board.

Nebraska football is a cult my friend.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Trev Alberts said it in his opening press conference and repeated it in his press conference on Sunday "One person does not define the Nebraska football/athletic program." 

I don't think Trev was referring to anyone in particular, but it's an interesting quote which he keeps coming back to.  I think at times, Tom Osborne may have thought he was bigger than the program (naming his successor, rather than letting the AD do it) , and I think there were times where Frost was enabled to think he was bigger than the football program (starting with the concessions made to Frost to bring him to NU).

So the one person does not define the program, does that apply to one donors? Seems like the program panders to them.