Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

10 minutes ago, Dansker said:

Obviously there’s a lot of posts about Frost being fired and not enough discussion about Mickey being named interim. The first black HC at DONU! This is a historic day for the football program. I for one am extremely excited to see what he can do. He’s an excellent recruiter, something this program needs. I think we will see the players play hard for him. He’s a players coach. If he’s capable of taking us to a bowl, I think he’s made a case to at least remain on staff with the next HC ala Shawn Watson-Pelini. What do you guys think?

I am excited to see what he can do also, actually provides interest in the rest of the year.  I do not seev him staying on unless he is hired permanently for the job though.  If it's a new coach, that coach should decide his own guys.  Maybe Mickey would be a choice, but would he accept that?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I am excited to see what he can do also, actually provides interest in the rest of the year.  I do not seev him staying on unless he is hired permanently for the job though.  If it's a new coach, that coach should decide his own guys.  Maybe Mickey would be a choice, but would he accept that?

I'm hoping he can persuade Chinander of a few things, like having the defense BE there instead of giving up enough yards/points to lose so many winnable games.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Urban kept Fickell at Ohio State.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hagg said:

I'm hoping he can persuade Chinander of a few things, like having the defense BE there instead of giving up enough yards/points to lose so many winnable games.

I wouldn’t be against involving more grad assistants and analysts to be involved. I don’t see any other assistants being fired, but I would not be the least bit surprised. Chinander has worn out his stay much more than his former boss.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He's a darn good WR coach and excellent recruiter who brought in some quality players that will most likely transfer if he's not retained. I would think the next HC (if its not him) would be wise to retain him, and I think he'll stay if the price is right. That is unless he does a good job and another school offers him a HC gig

• Plus1 2

No idea what kind of coach Mickey will be. This is exactly how Dabo got the Clemson job. Taking over mid year for a fired Tommy Bowden. Never was a coordinator. Dabo excelled, and got the job permanently. There are 9 games left in the season. If Mickey could go 6-3, or better, IMO, he should get a shot at it full time. The season starts now. First up, the Dirt Burglers. There is enough talent at NU to win, now. I’m sure Mickey will want to make a great showing. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I think Mickey will do fine as an Interim Head Coach, and it will allow the coordinators to do their jobs (insert Chin joke here).  I don't think it will be an audition for the full time head coaching gig, but if he does well, Trev will most likely recommend to the new coach that Mickey stays on staff, if that's what Mickey wants.

It's interesting that Mickey is the first black head coach of any varsity team at NU.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think it will be an audition for the full time head coaching gig

He'll only parlay it into a full time gig if he engineers some sort of miraculous turn around and doesn't give the administration much of a choice.  I'd say it's not likely, but I'm also not ready to rule it out entirely.   Let's see how the team responds this week and go from there. 

There is something to be said for having a strong recruiter as head coach and going out to get the best coordinators money can buy to run the offense and defense.

I expect Trev to do as much as he can to keep him on the staff going forward either way.

• Plus1 2