Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I doubt we're winning another game anyway, so I'm not opposed to firing EC, but I don't think that will help at all. Fisher makes sense since he already knows the defense at least, but Busch doesn't have time to install some new defense. Or maybe he does over the bye week, but I think that'll be even more of a train wreck than we've seen so far.

I agree.  We are in a no win situation.  Just play the games and hope for the best. 

20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Two guys that have never been defensive coordinators? I suppose that's an option, and Fisher has been impressive as the DB coach and has been with Chins so knows the defense, so maybe he could be a decent option. But what makes anyone think Busch would be any good? He's the ST coach and was a mediocre to bad DB coach the last time he was at NU.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think firing EC is more likely to make the defense worse than better IMO.

I mean I know what you're saying but Georgia Southern almost scored at will on Saturday.  I'm not sure how much worse it can get.  More realistically I think you have to stick with your scheme but I think we have no choice but to be more aggressive and take some chances on defense.  More blitzes, stunts, etc.  You obviously risk giving up some big plays but we've done plenty of that already. 

46 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm genuinely interested why people think this will help the team? We don't have a defensive coordinator hiding somewhere on campus, so how does firing EC help?

The Frost era was over, probably last year. He chose to keep a jv DC. Fate was sealed. Started 2022 1-2 in what most expected to be 3-0. Oklahoma is next. Give someone else a shot to somewhat save the season. What can it hurt? Nothing. Maybe Mickey has some new/better ideas, different personnel, different jobs for assistants? We don’t know yet. I think NU was DOA with Frost, so may as well make the change now. 

31 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I doubt we're winning another game anyway, so I'm not opposed to firing EC, but I don't think that will help at all. Fisher makes sense since he already knows the defense at least, but Busch doesn't have time to install some new defense. Or maybe he does over the bye week, but I think that'll be even more of a train wreck than we've seen so far.

How on earth could it be worse? Nebraska is ranked 125th, out of 131 teams, so far in 2022, allowing 492 yards per game. Do you just believe in status quo, or, should you try something, anything to try to better it? It’s a no brainer. There are still 9 games left in the season. Standing pat would be poor leadership. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'm genuinely interested why people think this will help the team? We don't have a defensive coordinator hiding somewhere on campus, so how does firing EC help?

I’m not sure it would immediately help the team either but it sure seems warranted and fitting to place a fair share of the blame directly where it belongs. Say what you want about SF’s job performance but he is the one that brought EC here and EC is directly responsible for the outcome of yesterday’s game and the reason this blew up today. I don’t think the D could do any worse without him around. Sort of like when they cut out cancer, they’re sure to get plenty around the margins. If it was time for SF to go, it’s an even safer bet that it’s time for EC.

It worth remembering that Mickey has a brother (Vance) that has 18+ years of experience coaching on the defensive side of the ball, in the NFL alone. Not that he's coming to Nebraska, but Mickey can surely get some input from Vance regarding what he sees in the "eye test" of players and schemes being run so far. He's got three games to analyze for this season and may have a few suggestions. If strength and conditioning appears to be an issue to HIM, we could see a change there pretty quickly also.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

It worth remembering that Mickey has a brother (Vance) that has 18+ years of experience coaching on the defensive side of the ball, in the NFL alone. Not that he's coming to Nebraska, but Mickey can surely get some input from Vance regarding what he sees in the "eye test" of players and schemes being run so far. He's got three games to analyze for this season and may have a few suggestions. If strength and conditioning appears to be an issue to HIM, we could see a change there pretty quickly also.

Dang I didn't know any of this.  I got all excited hoping he'd be available for this year.  Currently has a job as defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.   Not a bad gig.

One thing that I never really understood during Scott Frost's time: when he first got here, I would listen to him talk at press conferences and such, and his words would make me want to run through a wall for him. Yet, his teams always came out flat and played uninspired football. Perhaps Frost knows how to motivate 40-year old fans like me, but not so much for 20 year old student-athletes.

However, I do believe/hope that Mickey Joseph has an ability to connect with these kids and get them fired up in ways that maybe Frost couldn't. Pay attention to demeanor on the sidelines and fire on the field this weekend and the weeks to come. I think that will tell us a lot about Joseph's leadership.

20 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

MJ hopefully still has hatred for Boomer for ending his season with one of the latest cheap shot out of bounds onto their bench

@ 6:05 Reggie Barnes #40.   BTW, this is what MJ did during a pause in college coaching.  "In 2005, Joseph left college football and took a job in his hometown of New Orleans as a coach, seventh-grade history and gym teacher at Desire Street Academy. This was an all-boys school located in one of the poorest neighborhoods that is in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans, Louisiana. Then in late August 2005, Joseph's school suffered badly from the flooding and other damage caused by Hurricane Katrina forcing Desire Street Academy to relocate some four hours east of New Orleans to a 4-H camp which is located along the Choctawhatchee Bay in Florida.
It was then that Joseph took on a surrogate fatherlike role as he was able to round up 75 of his students from Louisiana and relocate them to the 4-H camp in Florida. This program known as "Florida 4-H Youth Development" was led by former Heisman Trophy winner and Washington Redskins' quarterback, Danny Wuerffel. There, Joseph took care of his students, survivors of Hurricane Katrina, by serving as their dorm resident. "I'm a dorm dad," commented Joseph. "Actually, they say I'm the dorm grandpa, because I'm a supervisor of the dorm dads." Joseph mentored the children who were separated from their families during this period of tribulation in the fall of 2005.
For Joseph, his role was expanded as he found more and more of his time being spent with his displaced students. He made certain they were all in bed by 10:00 pm and was still their teacher as classroom responsibilities fell upon him early in the day. He also had a football team formed from his available student body that finished with a record of 2-1 that fall. When he was interviewed in November 2005, Joseph explained of the harsh realities his children had experienced of how they were traumatized in some way. He explained that some had stayed at the New Orleans Superdome for days. Joseph summarized his students' lives by saying, "They showed a lot of courage to just come here and continue their education, but they're really out of their environment. And I'm going to teach them now living with them. So I've been really able to find out a lot of things about them." Then Joseph added, "I'm literally raising them. So some days are good. Some days are bad ... but there's never a day where you say, 'I want to quit."

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Farms said:

I mean I know what you're saying but Georgia Southern almost scored at will on Saturday.  I'm not sure how much worse it can get.  More realistically I think you have to stick with your scheme but I think we have no choice but to be more aggressive and take some chances on defense.  More blitzes, stunts, etc.  You obviously risk giving up some big plays but we've done plenty of that already. 

14 hours ago, Has Been said:

How on earth could it be worse? Nebraska is ranked 125th, out of 131 teams, so far in 2022, allowing 492 yards per game. Do you just believe in status quo, or, should you try something, anything to try to better it? It’s a no brainer. There are still 9 games left in the season. Standing pat would be poor leadership. 

It can always get worse. Do people not remember us giving up 60+ points over the last decade?

And people keep saying we should be more aggressive, but watching the GSU game we didn't even put any pressure on the QB when we did blitz other than one corner blitz by Newsome. I saw some zone blitzing that looked completely ineffective.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be changes since it's clear what we're doing isn't working. I just don't think firing EC is likely to make the defense any better, but instead is just the fans out for blood at this point. It'll make the fans feel better for one week, so maybe that's worth it, but I just don't think it matters who's calling the plays - our DL is just terrible.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It can always get worse. Do people not remember us giving up 60+ points over the last decade?

And people keep saying we should be more aggressive, but watching the GSU game we didn't even put any pressure on the QB when we did blitz other than one corner blitz by Newsome. I saw some zone blitzing that looked completely ineffective.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be changes since it's clear what we're doing isn't working. I just don't think firing EC is likely to make the defense any better, but instead is just the fans out for blood at this point. It'll make the fans feel better for one week, so maybe that's worth it, but I just don't think it matters who's calling the plays - our DL is just terrible.

Linebackers blitzed the thing is they never hit home so if you’re gonna blitz it’s gotta get there quickly. Combine that with non existent pass rushers and linebackers who fill the wrong gaps, you end up with 640+ yards and 45 points. We should not rely on our corners and safeties so much to blitz and make open field tackles 10 yards down field. Ruud is a terrible coach of linebackers and so is Dawson along with whatever he teaches on the DL.

I’m not sure Mickey is willing to make the changes where a lot of us can see obvious deficiencies on the staff. Mainly DL, LB’s and the DC himself.

Just now, Dansker said:

Linebackers blitzed the thing is they never hit home so if you’re gonna blitz it’s gotta get there quickly. Combine that with non existent pass rushers and linebackers who fill the wrong gaps, you end up with 640+ yards and 45 points. We should not rely on our corners and safeties so much to blitz and make open field tackles 10 yards down field. Ruud is a terrible coach of linebackers and so is Dawson along with whatever he teaches on the DL.

I’m not sure Mickey is willing to make the changes where a lot of us can see obvious deficiencies on the staff. Mainly DL, LB’s and the DC himself.

Firing a coach is the easy part, but who does MJ then get as a replacement? And does that even make the team better or worse? There's no simple solutions.

1 hour ago, rdg25 said:

@ 6:05 Reggie Barnes #40.   BTW, this is what MJ did during a pause in college coaching.  "In 2005, Joseph left college football and took a job in his hometown of New Orleans as a coach, seventh-grade history and gym teacher at Desire Street Academy. This was an all-boys school located in one of the poorest neighborhoods that is in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans, Louisiana. Then in late August 2005, Joseph's school suffered badly from the flooding and other damage caused by Hurricane Katrina forcing Desire Street Academy to relocate some four hours east of New Orleans to a 4-H camp which is located along the Choctawhatchee Bay in Florida.
It was then that Joseph took on a surrogate fatherlike role as he was able to round up 75 of his students from Louisiana and relocate them to the 4-H camp in Florida. This program known as "Florida 4-H Youth Development" was led by former Heisman Trophy winner and Washington Redskins' quarterback, Danny Wuerffel. There, Joseph took care of his students, survivors of Hurricane Katrina, by serving as their dorm resident. "I'm a dorm dad," commented Joseph. "Actually, they say I'm the dorm grandpa, because I'm a supervisor of the dorm dads." Joseph mentored the children who were separated from their families during this period of tribulation in the fall of 2005.
For Joseph, his role was expanded as he found more and more of his time being spent with his displaced students. He made certain they were all in bed by 10:00 pm and was still their teacher as classroom responsibilities fell upon him early in the day. He also had a football team formed from his available student body that finished with a record of 2-1 that fall. When he was interviewed in November 2005, Joseph explained of the harsh realities his children had experienced of how they were traumatized in some way. He explained that some had stayed at the New Orleans Superdome for days. Joseph summarized his students' lives by saying, "They showed a lot of courage to just come here and continue their education, but they're really out of their environment. And I'm going to teach them now living with them. So I've been really able to find out a lot of things about them." Then Joseph added, "I'm literally raising them. So some days are good. Some days are bad ... but there's never a day where you say, 'I want to quit."

Dang.  Not gonna lie.  I choked up a little reading that. 

42 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, it literally cannot get any worse on defense than what we seen Saturday in my opinion.  The only reason that we didn't give up 60 points is because our offense moved the ball so well and had 0 turnovers.  Had the offense not had 575 yards and 31 minutes time of possession GS very likely would have scored 60+ as well.  

• Haha 1