Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

Bear with me, but Head Coach Mickey Jo has to do a few things.

1.  Get with the DC and his defensive staff, and tell them what isn't going to work, point blank.  He come from SEC football.  He needs to get them to coordinate a different approach, big ten style, sec style.  Might be a slow adjustment, but we got the bye week after OU game.

2.  Give the OC reigns to Whipple, the offensive coordinator, to do his job.  There has to be some fresh air and breathing in the room now.  Whipp works with his QB, with Applewhite, with Mickey's receivers, with Beckton, with  Raiola (and his OL).  No more interference.

I think that if the team can come together, win 5 ... or 6 out of the 9 games left, bowl bound, you can then determine that we would have fared better with him against NW and GS.

So If they win a couple, maybe 4.... that really isn't much improvement in my eyes, even though it is a difficult task taking over after 3 games.  There are 9 games left.  

The OU game isn't even on my radar for a rapid turnaround.  It's way too soon.  After that, let's see how the remaining 8 go.  All Big Ten games.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I saw it/heard it elsewhere as well. Can’t remember- maybe on Unsportsmanlike Conduct. 

Finally found it...

Benning [Referring to the events of Sunday]: "Yesterday was about two things.  I think yesterday was about a meeting of two folks going a little different than I think its intent was designed.  That was the first one in the morning.  And I think the other one is how does he [Alberts] give the student athletes the most hope.  The second one being bigger than the first one, but the first one is...if folks are almost daring you, you have to send the message.  And it may cost you $7.5 million reasons why you have to send the message, but it is what it is."

I think its pretty telling your hunch about Frost tanking might very well be in the ballpark of accurate.

• Plus1 1

Interesting I haven't heard many players come out and publicly give their outcry of being upset at Frost being let go. Seems different than previous coaches of Pelini and Riley being let go. In both of those incidences players came out and showed their support for those coaches and expressed their disappointment. The only thing I've read is that the players were very happy to hear MJ was the interim head coach.

Nebraska very well could have lucked into a gem here with MJ. He is a great recruiter, the current players like him, he may be the perfect head coach type. Since he hasn't been an OC it could be easy for him to trust his coordinators and let OC's call the plays, DC's call the defense and he takes over the CEO role. He could find himself as the front runner to the HC job if he finds a couple wins and at the very least the team looks better than when Frost was running the show. I'm hopeful with MJ leading the program that October could be a fun month.

• Plus1 4

10 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Interesting I haven't heard many players come out and publicly give their outcry of being upset at Frost being let go. Seems different than previous coaches of Pelini and Riley being let go. In both of those incidences players came out and showed their support for those coaches and expressed their disappointment. The only thing I've read is that the players were very happy to hear MJ was the interim head coach.

Nebraska very well could have lucked into a gem here with MJ. He is a great recruiter, the current players like him, he may be the perfect head coach type. Since he hasn't been an OC it could be easy for him to trust his coordinators and let OC's call the plays, DC's call the defense and he takes over the CEO role. He could find himself as the front runner to the HC job if he finds a couple wins and at the very least the team looks better than when Frost was running the show. I'm hopeful with MJ leading the program that October could be a fun month.

Exactly- well said.

The more you hear about mj the more you like him.  Sounds like a leader of men.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Frost ended up being quite the strange bird.  I'd argue only a select few are upset, and they are probably the players with the least upside.  it's remarkable, really.  

38 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Mickey may have got ahead of it and told the team no matter what way you are feeling about it, keep it off twitter.  

• Plus1 1

Holy cow! The character assassination going on is crazy. 

We needed a change, everyone agrees on that. Frost gave it his best shot, we know he loves this place, but it didn't workout. Let's just leave it at that and move on.

All these radio guys are trying to get listeners. They don't know what was said between parties anymore than we do. It's just high school gossip. Not to mention DB has always been a tease who's full of himself.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, admo said:

2.  Give the OC reigns to Whipple, the offensive coordinator, to do his job.  There has to be some fresh air and breathing in the room now.  Whipp works with his QB, with Applewhite, with Mickey's receivers, with Beckton, with  Raiola (and his OL).  No more interference.

I think this could be significant. Frost has always fancied himself as an offensive play-calling genius. I remember seeing a photo of Whipple, during a game, looking down at his playsheet, trying to make the next call (or the one after that), while Frost stood in front of him. Whipple looked a little red in the face to me. I have to believe that he will even better with Frost out of his face and ear.

One point you did NOT make, that I think could be significant - even for the Oklahoma game - is if MJ makes clear to the team that EVERY position is up for reevaluation with him and the staff. You have to make the 2nd teamers feel revitalized with another opportunity, and the 1st teamers to realize their playing time is not a gimme. Demonstrate that by sitting players that are clearly not performing up to their capabilities - even if they ARE team captains. Clearly this is needed more on the defensive side of the ball than the offensive side, but it should apply equally.

I also feel that you have to let the assistant coaches know that you want their honest feedback and input. We don't need "yes men" in room this year.

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

This idea that the next 9 games are a trial run for Joseph is nuts. Mickey hasn't been a head coach above NAIA. He has never been a coordinator. The offense seems to be fine, we will score some points. But, the idea that we might win more games because of Mickey- is just dumb, what kind of magic wand does he have that is suddenly going to make our defensive line get better across the board, and the tackling suddenly improve. He doesn't even have any experience that shows he might know how to fix it. Outside of perhaps different game management practices- timeouts, going for it vs punting, etc. Mickey will not have an effect on the outcome of games. 

If anything, if Whipple's calling tendencies are too believed there will be a lot of people unhappy about the number of passes we throw, and the likely increased amount of time our shotty defense is on the field. 

8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Holy cow! The character assassination going on is crazy. 

We needed a change, everyone agrees on that. Frost gave it his best shot, we know he loves this place, but it didn't workout. Let's just leave it at that and move on.

All these radio guys are trying to get listeners. They don't know what was said between parties anymore than we do. It's just high school gossip. Not to mention DB has always been a tease who's full of himself.

I tried listening to Benning and Sharp yesterday and after about 10 or so minutes I was done.  Benning's style or just the way he talks in general (also very much everything he says) couldn't be more annoying to my ears.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I tried listening to Benning and Sharp yesterday and after about 10 or so minutes I was done.  Benning's style or just the way he talks in general (also very much everything he says) couldn't be more annoying to my ears.  

Yeah, I've never been a fan. He acts like he knows way more than he does, and he'll never actually tell you what the big secret is. I've been around people like that in my life and I don't associate with them anymore.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1