Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yeah, I've never been a fan. He acts like he knows way more than he does, and he'll never actually tell you what the big secret is. I've been around people like that in my life and I don't associate with them anymore.

He LOVES the "Listen, listen, listen, I can't say much but I can say that things might not be what they seem, who you are is who you are and the reality is that you are what you become"

What?  What the f#&% are you talking about.

I don't mind him and he does know some inside stuff he just likes to share it AFTER...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He LOVES the "Listen, listen, listen, I can't say much but I can say that things might not be what they seem, who you are is who you are and the reality is that you are what you become"

That is too good!  I mean I'm sure he has as much inside info as anyone and it would be very tough to know certain things that you obviously cannot reveal but you really nailed it lol.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't mind him and he does know some inside stuff he just likes to share it AFTER...

If you can't tell me before it happens then did you even really know?

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

If you can't tell me before it happens then did you even really know?

Right?  That is his bit.

Depending on the new hire, any inside scoop he did have might be totally gone.  

I don't think Trev will put any demands on the new coach but I do think he will "recommend" having more practices being open to the media.  I think that just helps.

I think if MJ can get through to Chin and get Chins head out of his a$$ and put the defense in positions to succeed rather than a slow death of long sustained drives by the opposing offenses, then this team can actually end up with a better than .500 record by years end.   

The team has talent, the offense is good, special teams won’t lose games like last year. MJ has to have a heart to heart with Chin about dialing up pressure in the first quarter of games and get the opposing offense on its heals.  Make them make big chunk plays in the face of pressure.

• Plus1 1

One thing I don’t think people think about enough in regards to Chins defense philosophy is in regards to the opposing QB each week.

Chin plays things so soft and vanilla the first half, that QB’s are really able to get their rhythm/timing together.  And the more passes completed (however short they are) the more confidence a QB gets for later in the game.   I experienced this while playing in college and it’s a reason offensive coordinators usually get their QB a few nice easy throws early on.   

If a QB gets pressure early on, sees some unique blitzes early on, then some doubt starts to enter in the mind and confidence can waiver a bit and that’s when you start to see some miss throws on completable passes.   

Chin plays right into what the opposing team is hoping for, especially when they have an inferior QB.  That is so infuriating.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

One thing I don’t think people think about enough in regards to Chins defense philosophy is in regards to the opposing QB each week.

Chin plays things so soft and vanilla the first half, that QB’s are really able to get their rhythm/timing together.  And the more passes completed (however short they are) the more confidence a QB gets for later in the game.   I experienced this while playing in college and it’s a reason offensive coordinators usually get their QB a few nice easy throws early on.   

If a QB gets pressure early on, sees some unique blitzes early on, then some doubt starts to enter in the mind and confidence can waiver a bit and that’s when you start to see some miss throws on completable passes.   

Chin plays right into what the opposing team is hoping for, especially when they have an inferior QB.  That is so infuriating.  

Yes, this is so "spot on", it's why I can't stomach Chins as any type of solution.  It's just his D.N.A.  Longer term, the best option is to get away from Chins.  He's like an assistant QB coach for the other team who builds up the opposite QB to his best version.  Chins does not strike any fear into any opponent/QB.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I assume MJ is getting some sort of raise now that he is the HC.  Has anyone heard that?

Why would he get that?  The Associate Head Coach title was built into his current contract.  It's reasonable to assume that if the head coach weren't able to fulfill his duties, then the Associate Head Coach would be next in line.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This idea that the next 9 games are a trial run for Joseph is nuts. Mickey hasn't been a head coach above NAIA. He has never been a coordinator. The offense seems to be fine, we will score some points. But, the idea that we might win more games because of Mickey- is just dumb, what kind of magic wand does he have that is suddenly going to make our defensive line get better across the board, and the tackling suddenly improve. He doesn't even have any experience that shows he might know how to fix it. Outside of perhaps different game management practices- timeouts, going for it vs punting, etc. Mickey will not have an effect on the outcome of games. 

If anything, if Whipple's calling tendencies are too believed there will be a lot of people unhappy about the number of passes we throw, and the likely increased amount of time our shotty defense is on the field. 

If this level of talent is consistently losing one score games, it's entirely possible that better game management, a mandated change for defense and special teams (something/anything), and simply breaking the spell of loser mojo could add a couple wins. Mickey Joseph brings a resume not unlike Dabo Swinney when appointed Head Coach at Clemson. Who knows? 

The question was whether things could get any worse at Nebraska than 1-2 at the easiest part of our schedule and morale cratering. Mickey will definitely have an effect on the outcome of games, and the chances of it being better is realistic enough to make the season much more interesting.

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

What changes the rest of the year if Chins isn't fired? Our offense already looks pretty good. 

I think it's going to be mostly structural changes, more consistency in practice, more discipline.  Nothing that can change overnight.  Other than that I think he can bring a lot more energy than Scott did, which won't hurt.  Other than that I suppose he could consult some people outside the program to get some suggestions for tweaking the defense but you can't fix our D-line getting blown off the ball.  A lot of issues seem to be guys not playing to their assignment, incorrect gaps/leverage. Maybe he can make some improvements on that but you can't make guys learn how to tackle overnight either.