Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

9 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

What changes the rest of the year if Chins isn't fired? Our offense already looks pretty good. 

Intangibles are all that changes. Morale, optimism, body language. That can translate into guys playing harder and more focused since the shadow is gone but I don't see anything changing schematically. You're not going to magically fit the run better but guys may be more coachable now.

2 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

I plum darn forgot about Vance Joseph, LOL

If Mickey somehow keeps the job, you best believe someone in Arizona is getting a phone call quick like.

I was on a flight from Denver to Phoenix for work in the January after Vance got fired as Broncos head coach.  Vance was sitting in first class, as he was headed to Phoenix to start his job as Cardinals DC.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was on a flight from Denver to Phoenix for work in the January after Vance got fired as Broncos head coach.  Vance was sitting in first class, as he was headed to Phoenix to start his job as Cardinals DC.

I'm rootin for Coach.  I'd love to see a former Husker have success here again at the level we're expecting.

Could you imagine if the guy did pull out a win against OU?

Also during the presser - it's painfully obvious that tackling was not a priority for the defense during practices....he mentioned it more than a few times.

• Plus1 3

DB does know the inside stuff, he just teases it in a certain style when he shouldn't even go there at all.  It seems arrogant and certainly can be off-putting.  But he has a personality where he can't help himself.  He's like a housewife in that regard...he can't help but reveal something but do it in a teasing way and than say things like "is that safe to reveal?" or "i'll stop myself here."  I fully understand that's a character flaw but it doesn't discredit him.  he knows quite a bit of the inside dealings.

But I won't make any more posts about him.  I did it originally to respond to someone's comments from earlier in the thread and I understand we should keep this thread about Mickey.

1 minute ago, alexhortdog95 said:

I'm rootin for Coach.  I'd love to see a former Husker have success here again at the level we're expecting.

Could you imagine if the guy did pull out a win against OU?

Also during the presser - it's painfully obvious that tackling was not a priority for the defense during practices....he mentioned it more than a few times.

The lack of tackling in practice is done because they are afraid of injuries occurring.  Coaches get afraid of injuries when they haven't recruited and developed players enough to create depth.  The lack of depth also hurts coaches to preach accountability in knowing the playbook, technique, and fundamentals.  All of it falls back to failures of Frost and the staff over the previous 4 years.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Anybody that has been at NU's practices under SF: Did they not tackle in practice under Frost?

I loved his comment about tackling & "muscle memory" & inferring you can't have it, if you don't instill it.

One thing that needs to change (and CAN CHANGE IMMEDIATELY) is better clock management - with an eye to giving your D a breather. Going 3 and out, and especially going 3 and out FAST is going to have an effect on your own DEF as the game goes on. Take the time you have to run a play, if your D needs it. Snap it with a second or three on the play clock. 

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Anybody that has been at NU's practices under SF: Did they not tackle in practice under Frost?

I loved his comment about tackling & "muscle memory" & inferring you can't have it, if you don't instill it.

One thing that needs to change (and CAN CHANGE IMMEDIATELY) is better clock management - with an eye to giving your D a breather. Going 3 and out, and especially going 3 and out FAST is going to have an effect on your own DEF as the game goes on. Take the time you have to run a play, if your D needs it. Snap it with a second or three on the play clock. 

I can only go by what i heard from media sources.  According to Carriker, they never tackled in practice and it became commonly accepted the defense played like they practiced...

Is it folklore?....I guess it depends on what you think about Carriker but according to him this was the setup and why we got the results.  

And no...Chinander's defense was never good.  I hate that narrative that it became a positive under Frost..it always was trash and cost us a lot of losses each season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Lol funny you mention clock management. On GSUs final drive with an eternity left in the game yet, the first play where the kid caught the ball and ran OB, the clock continued to run for 20 seconds. I knew it was going to come back to bite us haha. 

Not like it matters, I’m pretty certain the loss and the firing has been a better result than what would have happened had they pulled it out. 

4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Lol funny you mention clock management. On GSUs final drive with an eternity left in the game yet, the first play where the kid caught the ball and ran OB, the clock continued to run for 20 seconds. I knew it was going to come back to bite us haha. 

Not like it matters, I’m pretty certain the loss and the firing has been a better result than what would have happened had they pulled it out. 

I get your thought, yet I was actually happy they scored quickly. I had no hope that the D would make a stop. Was happy they scored fast enough to give our O an extra chance.