Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

11 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:
46 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Lol funny you mention clock management. On GSUs final drive with an eternity left in the game yet, the first play where the kid caught the ball and ran OB, the clock continued to run for 20 seconds. I knew it was going to come back to bite us haha. 

Even the little special teams decisions mattered in those last few seconds. Palmer tried to return the kick instead of taking the fair catch. He returned it to the 23, landed on his head, nearly fumbled, and ran 6 seconds off the clock. Poor decision, nothing new.

If you had to rely on a field goal to tie the game (or win the game, in several of our past losses), being two yards closer and having six more seconds to work with can make a big difference on that drive. But these little things have been plaguing us for years. In our first three games, we have returned kicks numerous times and come up short of the 25 just about every time. Failure to learn from our past mistakes, while continuing to make new mistakes, has been our identity. I hope Mickey can see that and fix it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The lack of tackling in practice is done because they are afraid of injuries occurring.  Coaches get afraid of injuries when they haven't recruited and developed players enough to create depth.  The lack of depth also hurts coaches to preach accountability in knowing the playbook, technique, and fundamentals.  All of it falls back to failures of Frost and the staff over the previous 4 years.

I went through this as a coach in HS.  We didn't have very many kids on the team and no depth.  We would just thud during practice and it showed during games.  Even the kids who were better tacklers the year before weren't very good at it.  We did use the tackling sled a lot more as the season went on an that helped.  Dont get banged up, learn good form, kids who are nervous about tackling get more used to it.  Obviously this is college but you can tell by the way they cant wrap up, pursuit angles and where their body placement is.  Don't get good looks touching guys  up in practice.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl about Mickey, but if he were named full time head coach (which I think would take miracle results this year), Nebraska would be losing the best part about his coaching abilities.

Mickey's strength is being the ace recruiter, where he can watch film of guys, identify the best targets, visit recruits, and work with the guys all through the recruiting process.  Head coaches are brought in to close the recruiting process.  Head coaches are too busy doing all the CEO-type work of the job to be solely focused on recruiting.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl about Mickey, but if he were named full time head coach (which I think would take miracle results this year), Nebraska would be losing the best part about his coaching abilities.

Mickey's strength is being the ace recruiter, where he can watch film of guys, identify the best targets, visit recruits, and work with the guys all through the recruiting process.  Head coaches are brought in to close the recruiting process.  Head coaches are too busy doing all the CEO-type work of the job to be solely focused on recruiting.

I don't know if that part is true for head coaches who aren't also functioning as a coordinator. I think he could be more involved in recruiting than Frost, and Frost was fairly active. Maybe not as active as he was when he was just the WR coach, but it's not a major concern for me.

• Plus1 1