Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

Worrying about losing Mickey’s recruiting prowess should he become HC is ridiculous. Sure he wouldn’t have as much time to commit to recruiting but it would be much preferable to losing him altogether to another HC opening. It’s not within our ability to keep him doing what he’s doing forever. If he wants to move up the ranks, which apparently he does, it will be impossible for anyone to keep him as solely a recruiter/position coach.

• TBH 1
9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Worrying about losing Mickey’s recruiting prowess should he become HC is ridiculous. Sure he wouldn’t have as much time to commit to recruiting but it would be much preferable to losing him altogether to another HC opening. It’s not within our ability to keep him doing what he’s doing forever. If he wants to move up the ranks, which apparently he does, it will be impossible for anyone to keep him as solely a recruiter/position coach.

I don't buy into that as well. If MJ were to stay as the head coach after the season he definitely would still have a presence in recruiting. For the most part you never truly hear that all I talk to is one particular coach when it comes to recruiting, no you hear that all of the coaches talk to the kids to make them apart of Nebraska. I feel like that is the best way so if a coach decides to leave the kid still has a relationship with the other coaches and doesn't feel like he is left out to dry.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, AlaSker said:

I'm not sure this is worth reading into- but Chinander is off to the side and not the voice in any of what looked like defensive coaching.

Yea, I noticed that. Chin knows he better get his crap together. The energy was different.....greeting players.........I hope we can get this turned around. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

“I gotta do a better job with the players, before they go to the interviews, and make comments like that.” - MJ

WOW! This answer shows the quality of the man and coach we have here. The way he phrased that shows a HIGH degree of emotional intelligence. He didn’t throw the player under the bus - he said it was ON HIM for failing to teach the players how to handle themselves. But he clearly showed it was not a wise comment & he showed the difference between losing & a losing culture. He also sent the message that the statement was not appreciated. THIS was the quote of the interview, IMHO (and kudos to the guy who asked the question).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

Mickey wisely mostly deflected the questions in his first press conference regarding his race. But I thought it was hilarious how he said “I’ve been a football coach … (stopped himself and continued) … I’ve been a BLACK football coach all my life.”

But I don’t think you have to know a lot about American history (including RECENT history) to realize that people of Color need to do a lot more in order to get the same recognition as they would if they were not people of color. I think this is criminal, but an objective person might wonder where Mickey would be right now, with his personality and body of work if he were NOT a person of color.

I think Trev is a smart guy and I think he knows that to give Mickey the job out of an interview process would not be a good move with much of the State of Nebraska (mostly due to his lack of Div. 1 head coaching experience). But I think that there is a reason he came to Nebraska and was asked to come to Nebraska. The writing was pretty much on the wall when Trev was hired as the new AD. And while Mickey was a great get as a WR coach, I wonder whose idea it was to make him an Asst. Head Coach? That puts him in the logical position be be named the interim HC, should SF hang himself. I believe there may have been some back door conversations about that, between Trev & Mickey - prior to his being offered the job. The fact that he would bring some LSU talent & recruiting chops was a big part of the equation.

But I believe that Trev knows that there are boosters who will not be on the side of offering Mickey the gig For Realsies, until he SUCCESSFULLY auditions for the role with 9 games (plus, we hope, a bowl game).

This is his greatest opportunity to shine & if he does - and Nebraska passes on him - I think he knows he can impress another school with what he could do for THEM.

Trev & Mickey are playing chess, while Frost was playing checkers.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Gee, that doesn’t sound like southern racism AT ALL!

Wasn’t that long ago that this was the justification for no black QBs in the NFL either. Maybe Mickey was smarter than we even THINK to leave Louisiana for a fair(er) shake.

Kinda like my favorite quote “he would be a good coordinator”. 

• TBH 1

Another “huh?” moment in his presser was then he said that he and his brother Vance (currently DC of the Arizona Cardinals) talk every day: “we’re really tight. We talk every day. WE DON’T HAVE TOO MANY FRIENDS IN THIS INDUSTRY.”

Nobody wanted to dig into that particular window into Mickey’s soul - maybe because most already knew what he was referring to. Later he referred to how “I’m going to be TRUTHFUL with them - and that’s how I survived in this profession”.

This is a profession with a LOT of attrition - with people going up the ladder and down again. Seems to me that Mickey just keeps climbing - he hasn’t dropped down a rung YET. I hope Husker fans give him the support that he deserves.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Another “huh?” moment in his presser was then he said that he and his brother Vance (currently DC of the Arizona Cardinals) talk every day: “we’re really tight. We talk every day. WE DON’T HAVE TOO MANY FRIENDS IN THIS INDUSTRY.”

Nobody wanted to dig into that particular window into Mickey’s soul - maybe because most already knew what he was referring to. Later he referred to how “I’m going to be TRUTHFUL with them - and that’s how I survived in this profession”.

This is a profession with a LOT of attrition - with people going up the ladder and down again. Seems to me that Mickey just keeps climbing - he hasn’t dropped down a rung YET. I hope Husker fans give him the support that he deserves.

You can't make friend, because they can cut you lose at any minute. They only way your job is secure in coaching is winning.

We've seen it with every single coach since Solich was fired. Their downfall was not cutting bait with their buddies when they couldn't get the wins.