Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

13 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Why would you not want Prime Here?

My best and honest answer is his personality. I kind of put him in the same category as L Kiffin.  I didn't like him when he was in college or the pros. He was a great player, but that's not enough for me. Maybe I'm getting to old. I have done some recent research on him and he does advocate for players and coaches. Maybe he could be good at Nebraska and if he was to come here I would support him. Hell, I supported BC and MR and I didn't want either one of them either.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, jager said:

My best and honest answer is his personality. I kind of put him in the same category as L Kiffin.  I didn't like him when he was in college or the pros. He was a great player, but that's not enough for me. Maybe I'm getting to old. I have done some recent research on him and he does advocate for players and coaches. Maybe he could be good at Nebraska and if he was to come here I would support him. Hell, I supported BC and MR and I didn't want either one of them either.

That's because you are a true husker!  We all have our opinions, but in the end we support the final decisions.

• Plus1 1

Central to Mickey’s success or any other candidate is instilling desire within the team. Having a competent that does likewise.

By his actions he is instilling a culture often described as “extreme ownership”. “It’s on me”. And through demonstrating that the team follows his lead. He’s shown that he can make tough decisions and would likely do so if selected. 

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that he’s the front runner or the most qualified. The potential seems to be there. There’s a whole host of things to consider.

Being a great head coach is dependent on what qualities the person possesses and how well they can manage. I’d say coach Joseph has made a good start. 

• Plus1 8
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 10/18/2022 at 10:53 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not against Mickey, but his lack of head coaching experience concerns me. I think your thought process on hiring him, especially after 4 games as the Interim Head Coach is a bad thought process.

SMDH. This comment drives me nuts. Why not give him a chance? He has won the locker room. He is getting this team better and he didn't buy the groceries to cook the dinner. Top receiver on the team came here because of him. Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson went to LSU because of him. He won a Natty and the top guys on that team he recruited. So go ahead and get Meyer or Campbell and all those coaches with all this so called experience. You need a coach who can relate to kids and buy into the process. This is what is boils down to. Nebraska and college football are not ready for black head coaches. Period. You can recruit black players, they can win titles for you and you will cheer for them, but no head coaches. They are better suited for coordinator positions. They are good recruiters. They don't have experience. All low key and most folks know it. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

On 10/20/2022 at 1:07 PM, SouthLincoln Husker said:

That's because you are a true husker!  We all have our opinions, but in the end we support the final decisions.

I do not subscribe to that mindset at all.  It gets large groups of people (fans, clubs, countries) into big trouble, long term (and the Husker football program has been in big trouble long term, if you haven't noticed :D).  "If you're not a true (fill in the blank) you're not with us and you're part of the problem."  In sports it's watered down a bit, but it's the same thing.  I think we can be true Husker fans by advocating for who we want and also advocating for the removal of who we don't want.  When Bill Callahan was hired he came in here swishing his hand around and wrecking Nebraska football culture, intentionally and bragging about it.  We're still suffering the results of that to this day.  "True Huskers" of the past were barred from the team's facilities.  Some of us, a large percentage of us Husker fans, do not support all of the final decisions at all.  And that is healthy, in my opinion. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, mwj98 said:

SMDH. This comment drives me nuts. Why not give him a chance? He has won the locker room. He is getting this team better and he didn't buy the groceries to cook the dinner. Top receiver on the team came here because of him. Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson went to LSU because of him. He won a Natty and the top guys on that team he recruited. So go ahead and get Meyer or Campbell and all those coaches with all this so called experience. You need a coach who can relate to kids and buy into the process. This is what is boils down to. Nebraska and college football are not ready for black head coaches. Period. You can recruit black players, they can win titles for you and you will cheer for them, but no head coaches. They are better suited for coordinator positions. They are good recruiters. They don't have experience. All low key and most folks know it. 

Had me with the first half about Joseph then lost me with the race crap. Within the realm of college football, I always viewed NU as more of a trendsetter in the "raced doesn't matter" category. Had a lot of black QBs in a time when some actually thought skin color translated to QB ability (or lack thereof). 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3
2 hours ago, Hagg said:

I do not subscribe to that mindset at all.  It gets large groups of people (fans, clubs, countries) into big trouble, long term (and the Husker football program has been in big trouble long term, if you haven't noticed :D).  "If you're not a true (fill in the blank) you're not with us and you're part of the problem."  In sports it's watered down a bit, but it's the same thing.  I think we can be true Husker fans by advocating for who we want and also advocating for the removal of who we don't want.  When Bill Callahan was hired he came in here swishing his hand around and wrecking Nebraska football culture, intentionally and bragging about it.  We're still suffering the results of that to this day.  "True Huskers" of the past were barred from the team's facilities.  Some of us, a large percentage of us Husker fans, do not support all of the final decisions at all.  And that is healthy, in my opinion. 

How does it get fans in big trouble to support the coach that’s hired?  Do we get birthdays taken away?  Do we get flogged behind the student union?  No Christmas presents?   What is it?  I’m curious.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Had me with the first half about Joseph then lost me with the race crap. Within the realm of college football, I always viewed NU as more of a trendsetter in the "raced doesn't matter" category. Had a lot of black QBs in a time when some actually thought skin color translated to QB ability (or lack thereof). 

EXACTLY. Can we just STOP with the race crap? If Mickey had a modicum of success as a college head coach before this year, it wouldn't even be a debate right now. He would be the guy. The lack of experience is the ONLY thing holding him back. I don't know if many people have been on campus lately, but UNL is absolutely a progressive, dare I say liberal place. Trev doesn't care about race, and there are VERY few other people that do. 

Personally, I'm coming around to Mickey, purely because of his tenacious recruiting, and what these recruits are saying about him. They're saying things that no one ever said about Frost, or Pelini for that matter. Coleman said that Mickey is the only reason he chose UNL. I have to think there are others like him. We haven't had that kind of recruiting edge in a long time, and we can't afford to lose it now.

Mickey is the guy.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How does it get fans in big trouble to support the coach that’s hired?  Do we get birthdays taken away?  Do we get flogged behind the student union?  No Christmas presents?   What is it?  I’m curious.  

No I'm talking about the Husker Nation as a whole, if we accept wholesale what's going on.  That remark I quoted of ".. because you're a true Husker.." in response to a member saying they accept who it is once they're hired.  That smacks of group think, which does get those groups in trouble.  Look at us, where we are.  The "true Husker" is a thinking person, not just a fan of the boss's decisions.  IMO.  ;)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

I would love to see Mickey get the job moving forward.  I like what he's done, even without HC experience.  So far all we have is a taste.  And lots of questions when things don't go well, what will that look like?

Sadly, I don't think he will get it.  I have no clue who the next appointed name coach will be.  I am pretty sure I will get behind him.  Even if it is Bill O'Brien - who I do not like.  Hope that make sense.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Hagg said:

I don't agree with everything either, but a true fan is one who lives with the decision without being cynical

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1