Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

2 hours ago, skers83 said:

My grandparents were Huskers when Fielding Yost was Coach.  I'm a true Fan.:koolaid2: 

I wonder what a non-true fan is.  Somebody here goes on about being a better fan than other Husker fans, apparently donning judgement glasses based on something about this or that.  As if.  I have noticed that all Husker fans are great fans of a great school's sports programs, group-think types or not, critical of the coaches (and/or ADs) or not.  Husker.  The only exception to that I've seen is one person (you know who you are) who wore Husker gear into the stadium several years ago and rooted for every good play Mizzou made. Pretty soon it became apparent after a bit of convo that he was a sort of Husker fan (born in Nebraska) but lived and worked in Sedalia for decades.  We beat the Tigers that day and his seat was empty but ours weren't.

One thing I'll say for Mickey Joseph is that he has brilliantly transitioned the many fans distraught about firing Scott Frost. They realized Mickey was also a former Nebraska quarterback and are thus ready to give him every benefit of the doubt. Or just straight up give him the job. The old "one of us" argument. It has really brought the Frost second-guessing down to near zero and filled the stands again. 

It's tempting to anoint Joseph under the circumstances, but the team really isn't playing much better than last year's team, maybe just a tick better than the first three games. I'm not yet sure Mickey's team would have beaten Georgia Southern, either. He still has five games to show a combination of passion and discipline with his current players that would translate to what would likely be an improved recruiting pipeline. I'm open minded, but at some point (this Saturday) I'd like something more than hope. 

According to my research, 100% of us agree that change needs to start with the offensive line. Defensive line would be nice, too. Any coach who makes it a priority will win more games. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One thing I'll say for Mickey Joseph is that he has brilliantly transitioned the many fans distraught about firing Scott Frost. They realized Mickey was also a former Nebraska quarterback and are thus ready to give him every benefit of the doubt. Or just straight up give him the job. The old "one of us" argument. It has really brought the Frost second-guessing down to near zero and filled the stands again. 

It's tempting to anoint Joseph under the circumstances, but the team really isn't playing much better than last year's team, maybe just a tick better than the first three games. I'm not yet sure Mickey's team would have beaten Georgia Southern, either. He still has five games to show a combination of passion and discipline with his current players that would translate to what would likely be an improved recruiting pipeline. I'm open minded, but at some point (this Saturday) I'd like something more than hope. 

According to my research, 100% of us agree that change needs to start with the offensive line. Defensive line would be nice, too. Any coach who makes it a priority will win more games. 

This is a brilliant post!  Mickey is a favorite of NU fans for the head coaching job for mainly 2 reasons:

1)  He's "one of us" like you said, as if someone familiar with NU is going to be more successful than someone from "the outside".  But, Joseph being an alumni and former player, makes it easier to accept and root for.

2) His actions with the media and the fans have been pretty much the opposite of Frost, especially with his energy and message of accountability.  Now, Frost probably had more energy early in his tenure, but it was eventually beaten out of him by the end of his tenure.  We've seen guys on here say "I will run through a brick wall" based on press conference comments from both Mickey and Frost.  Frost was never strong on the accountability message, as he was always quick to blame the previous regime for his early failures.  I was one who fell for that deflection early in his career at NU, and gave Frost a pass for it.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not sure you can fairly compare this year to last year. A lot of good players are gone and have been replaced by transfers. Some with success, some not so much. And with the atrocious play we've seen from the OL and defense in general I'm not sure anybody could make a meaningful difference, especially only through 4 games.

It's a tough situation from both Mickey and Trev. I think Mikey could be an outstanding coach but it wouldn't show with what he has inherited. And tough for Trev to really make a meaningful evaluation for the same reason. Mickey has shown areas where he excels like keeping the team together, team unity and playing hard. But is that enough since being the HC of B1G program entails a lot more which we don't really know how Mickey will handle. I'm glad it's Trev's call and not mine. One thought is Mickey might be better served in a roll like asst. HC or the like. If he does become HC he will inevitably lose a lot close, personal relationships he has with the kids since the father figure type coach and being in a CEO position don't really mesh well when your at a high profile, P5 school.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I'm not sure you can fairly compare this year to last year. A lot of good players are gone and have been replaced by transfers.

Well it may not be fair, but I can't find anyone who didn't predict improvement over last year's 3-9 record, especially with the easier schedule. 

While there were a lot of graduates on defense, the general view was that Chinander and the defense had "turned the corner."  Transfers are designed for immediate results, and we actually did pretty well in the portal. 

I do think you should expect to see improvement if a better coach takes over the same talent. It might not be a big difference in terms of wins and losses, but you want to see glimpses of discipline, motivation, scheme adjustments, player assessment and development. I think I'm seeing those glimpses, but I'm not sure if it's really happening or if I'm talking myself into it. 

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

To the bold, could be? Maybe? To some little degree?

I look at Mickey Joseph and see a man that can be hands on with players and assistant coaches 24/7 during the week, but when game day comes, he allows them all to do their job.  

Every coach wants excellence and to win, just like MJ and all coaches in the business.  But, after you have been prepared during the week and gotten the reps in practice, it's time for the players to play the game.  

He doesn't come across like a former player that is now the head coach.

He comes across like a great CEO leading the way, allowing his staff to do their jobs, and the boots on the ground (players) to carry out the mission.

The end result hasn't worked to perfection just yet, but it is the plan and the foundation for the football program.  And at the same time, any player on the team  - from starter to 4th string walk-on - can easily approach the HC at any time and have a real convo for football goals or non-related football life problems.  

If you want a HC that is CEO, face of the franchise, recruits like a mofo, helps the players, listens to the staff and puts it all together in motion from sun up to sun down, gives credit and takes the blame like a man, this is your guy.

Has nothing to do with being a former player, or former QB.  You grow as life changes to be something you can be, not what you used to be.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1