Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

Dave Feit: Irresistible Mickey Joseph Meets Immovable Nebraska

Mickey Joseph is a force of nature.

He's positive, genuine and a natural leader. His ability to recruit elite talent and develop them into something greater is impressive and proven. His energy and passion are infectious.

In theory, he's a strong candidate to remove the "interim" from his title. He's currently 2-2 as Nebraska's interim head football coach. If he can guide the Huskers to three more wins, Nebraska will go to a bowl game for the first time since 2016.

Everything about Mickey Joseph - his popularity with players and fans, his ability to recruit top-100 players and, yes, his career as a Nebraska player - could make him a front-runner for the full-time job.

Make no mistake: Mickey Joseph is getting an extended audition for the full-time job. The biggest knock on Joseph is a lack of Power 5 head coaching experience. Every game he coaches has the potential to turn that negative into a positive.

There's just one problem: The biggest thing keeping Mickey Joseph from getting the Nebraska head coaching job is Nebraska.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Comments like this and what Mickey said are not wrong and there’s nothing wrong with saying them.  In fact, when an organization isn’t succeeding, it needs said. 

Now, the current players can step up and be those players.  They have every opportunity. But, if not, we need better players. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And if the players take offense to it, it's a signal of why the organization isn't succeeding.

Yes.  It gets to the mindset of the players. 

Now, we haven’t seen any indication from players saying they took it wrong. So, hopefully, it hit home and players that will be back next year build off of this comment. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheMeWho said:

So instead of “Row, row, row the boat!” We can have “The wheels on the bus…!”

And turn the “Broken Chair” trophy into the “Bus & Boat” trophy! :lol:

The book that Eichorst should’ve been passing around instead of the Energy Bus!

It’s about grit, determination and overcoming adversity as a group again and again. It’d do teams well to read it that want to be successful in sports or otherwise.

Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys reading that hasn’t read it. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, M.A. said:

The book that Eichorst should’ve been passing around instead of the Energy Bus!

It’s about grit, determination and overcoming adversity as a group again and again. It’d do teams well to read it that want to be successful in sports or otherwise.

Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys reading that hasn’t read it. 

Great book for sure.  Well worth the read.

On 10/27/2022 at 6:19 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s kind of my point. I think NU is in need of a complete rebuild and program overhaul.  The program is a complete mess and IMO experienced head coach who has led a program and can start this whole thing over is what I would be looking for.  I know past experience isn’t always an indicator of future performance, but with this hire, it’s my preference. I will just let this whole thing with Mickey rest, because he’s becoming the fan’s choice and I am in the minority on that side. 

I kind of want him to get it, but I still think it's a massive long shot he can get this team to a bowl game.  Which I suspect he'll need to do to get it.

Win today and that changes everything. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1