Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I agree 100%. This is a total rebuild and we don’t have time for on the job training 

It could easily be done in one off season. Keep some of our better coaches. Go steal a top O line coach. Raid the portal and Jucos to shore up both lines and defense. Boom 9 wins, and a decent bowl game.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It could easily be done in one off season. Keep some of our better coaches. Go steal a top O line coach. Raid the portal and Jucos to shore up both lines and defense. Boom 9 wins, and a decent bowl game.

None of the assistants should be retained. Why keep any of them around? The team has sucked! Get rid of them all!

Finally, what makes anyone think that NU can go from one of the worst programs in Power 5 football over the past few years to winning 9 games in 2023?  That makes no sense. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

None of the assistants should be retained. Why keep any of them around? The team has sucked! Get rid of them all!

Finally, what makes anyone think that NU can go from one of the worst programs in Power 5 football over the past few years to winning 9 games in 2023?  That makes no sense. 

In all honesty, it's the same fan loyalty that kept Frost here for 2 years too long that wants Mickey to succeed.  He's one of us.  Played for NU under TO.  Just like Ruud never getting called out for having done absolutely nothing.  

I'd give MJ an interview.  See who he would try to get as the OC/DC and position coaches. What's his vision.  What's his short term/long term goals and how does he plan to reach them.  Same general questions any potential hire should be asked.  

Honestly, I do not think I have seen a P5 perform this poorly over an extended time save for Kansas and Duke.  I don't know how you can turn this team into winners.  Unsure if the ability is even there.  This might be a minimum 5 year guaranteed contract.  The kind of stank that's on this team won't wash off in just one season.  

• Fire 1

I can't fathom any scenario where Mickey is the best coach to hire.  I'm done giving coaches "time."  We've all seen good coaches turn garbage into functional football every season.  It's time Nebraska as a program realizes this.  I gurantee Urban could have started this season with this group of clowns, and would have figured out how to win at least 6 games.

I'm just done pretending a quick turnarfound doesn't apply to Nebraska.  Good coaches win games in bulk no matter what.  They just do.  They always do.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, lo country said:

In all honesty, it's the same fan loyalty that kept Frost here for 2 years too long that wants Mickey to succeed.  He's one of us.  Played for NU under TO.  Just like Ruud never getting called out for having done absolutely nothing.  

I'd give MJ an interview.  See who he would try to get as the OC/DC and position coaches. What's his vision.  What's his short term/long term goals and how does he plan to reach them.  Same general questions any potential hire should be asked.  

Honestly, I do not think I have seen a P5 perform this poorly over an extended time save for Kansas and Duke.  I don't know how you can turn this team into winners.  Unsure if the ability is even there.  This might be a minimum 5 year guaranteed contract.  The kind of stank that's on this team won't wash off in just one season.  

At this point I don’t think he should waste any time interviewing MJ. If we can retain him as WR coach: recruiting coordinator then great if the new coach so desires. But we need an experienced guy in here now who can “play” at this level 

30 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

I can't fathom any scenario where Mickey is the best coach to hire.  I'm done giving coaches "time."  We've all seen good coaches turn garbage into functional football every season.  It's time Nebraska as a program realizes this.  I gurantee Urban could have started this season with this group of clowns, and would have figured out how to win at least 6 games.

I'm just done pretending a quick turnarfound doesn't apply to Nebraska.  Good coaches win games in bulk no matter what.  They just do.  They always do.

Just like Bret did with the Illinois clowns. He turned them from garbage to a 7-1 team in one year. They have not had a winning season since 2001. 

12 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Just like Bret did with the Illinois clowns. He turned them from garbage to a 7-1 team in one year. They have not had a winning season since 2001. 

I don't think we have any right to call them clowns. 29 yards at home in a half? THe team gave the f^%$  up! WHo are the real clowns?

I agree this is a rebuilt, total mess, might need a 5 year contract. But it's really kind of dumb to think of the team that way and then be willing to count Mickey out because he hasn't turned the team around in 2 months. 

If Mickeys the best coach available, so be it. But he's not running his program right now. If you truly think this team is that screwed then the teams performances now shouldn't be on Mickey.

• Plus1 3

it makes no sense to keep mickey when there are proven winning head coaches available to be hired. if he surprised us all and lead us to the big10 championship then i could see why it would make sense to keep him. but simply put this team is going nowhere. even if he had just made a bowl game i could have seen the argument. but beating indiana and rutgers does not warrant giving someone a head coaching job.

• Plus1 1

The same emotion and sentiment NU fans for Frost (former player, QB under Osborne, etc.) just transferred to Mickey, and that’s why NU fans are emotionally wanting him to stay on as full time Head Coach. I heard “maybe we just had the wrong former NU QB to lead NU back to glory”. It’s an emotional opinion, not a measured or pragmatic decision.

However, the hire for the next Head Coach at Nebraska, needs to be a calculated, pragmatic, and strategic decision to find an experienced head coach with a detailed blue print on how to start over and build a program. This Nebraska program needs more than some magic fairy dust to get back to 9 wins in less than a year. I don’t know how fans can watch how bad NU plays week in and week out and not see how this isn’t a complete rebuild. 

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Uh... Mickey, Bush, Applewhite? Those units have performed.

• Plus1 1