Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

2 hours ago, BoSolich said:

it makes no sense to keep mickey when there are proven winning head coaches available to be hired. if he surprised us all and lead us to the big10 championship then i could see why it would make sense to keep him. but simply put this team is going nowhere. even if he had just made a bowl game i could have seen the argument. but beating indiana and rutgers does not warrant giving someone a head coaching job.

What?  No coach can turn this dumpster fire over this year.  NONE.   We need line help from the portal & we need development our youth instead of depending on them early.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

As much as I hate to say it, I am done with former Huskers as coaches.  We lose our objectivity when they are one of our own.  Frost should've never gotten year 4.  Ruud should have never been hired.  I think we'd have the same issues with MJ IF he didn't show improvement each year.  

Clean the slate.  Shoot for the stars.  Get a jam up recruiter.  Guy who can develop and improve what we have.  Knows the transfer portal.   We are a dumpster fire. Bielema in year 2.....29 yards the 2nd half......No bowling in 6 years.  No winning season in 6 years...No beating a ranked team.....No depth...No development.....The list of lack of accomplishments is staggering.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, lo country said:

As much as I hate to say it, I am done with former Huskers as coaches.  We lose our objectivity when they are one of our own.  Frost should've never gotten year 4.  Ruud should have never been hired.  I think we'd have the same issues with MJ IF he didn't show improvement each year.  

Clean the slate.  Shoot for the stars.  Get a jam up recruiter.  Guy who can develop and improve what we have.  Knows the transfer portal.   We are a dumpster fire. Bielema in year 2.....29 yards the 2nd half......No bowling in 6 years.  No winning season in 6 years...No beating a ranked team.....No depth...No development.....The list of lack of accomplishments is staggering.

Agreed. Mickey has less than a 2% chance at getting the HC job at this point.

Meyer or Bielema would have this program completely turned around by the 2nd year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Mickey is a great recruiter and has done well as a WR coach.

16 hours ago, Decked said:

I for one am on board with keeping him at WR coach.

Is he really that good of a WR coach, though? He brought in Palmer (who probably didn't need much coaching), but the rest of our WRs are largely forgettable. Vokolek is probably our second best receiver, and Beckton coaches him.

I'm worried that Mickey is really just another Ryan Held. Held was a good recruiter (like Mickey), but he really wasn't a very good position coach and shouldn't have been kept around as long as he was.

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

Is he really that good of a WR coach, though? He brought in Palmer (who probably didn't need much coaching), but the rest of our WRs are largely forgettable. Vokolek is probably our second best receiver, and Beckton coaches him.

I'm worried that Mickey is really just another Ryan Held. Held was a good recruiter (like Mickey), but he really wasn't a very good position coach and shouldn't have been kept around as long as he was.

He did a good job of turning Justin Jefferson from a 2-star recruit to one the best WR’s in football. Jamarr Chase was a big recruit for who also excelled at LSU and now NFL. But, I don’t know what Mickey did specifically to turn those guys into great players. 

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Here's an honest question regardless of if you're for or against hiring Mickey as HC: Would any other coach that was placed in the same situation as Mickey as interim HC have done any better?

I don’t think that any of them would have done any better. It’s a bad, bad team. Not sure what the point of your question is. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s a fair point. He walked into a crappy situation.  However, what has he done to show anything that he deserves the full time head coach?

He's been great in interviews and did take the risky chance of firing Chinander, which did improve the defense some.

And MJ has a history of being a good to great recruiter, which is one of the things this program desperately needs.

There are probably better candidates out there, but we don't know who's interested and really it's a crap shoot of who will actually perform once at Nebraska. So MJ isn't a bad hire in my book but is a pretty risky one.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Here's an honest question regardless of if you're for or against hiring Mickey as HC: Would any other coach that was placed in the same situation as Mickey as interim HC have done any better?

Heres another honest question. Will Mickey Joseph’s name even enter the conversation to be the head football coach at a single other blue blood, P5, or even FBS program?

• TBH 2

I truly don't know if anyone wants or would take this job outside of a former Husker.  Realistically.  We put Mickey in a position that he is coaching players he didn't recruit.  He is being asked to coach with coaches he might not want to have as coaches,   and we think this now is all on Mickey all of a sudden is amazingly very Husker like.  I will point out a few things:  Aranda now has his own recruits and is not going to win 11 games this season.  Kiffin: loses his coordinators every other season.  If not Urban, then your stuck with Mickey at this point.  I like Leipold, but I don't know even if he would take this job right now.  I think KU has more developed talent on its roster currently.  Kleiman is a great coach, and again his roster is better with more developed players.   If we could get a tried and true all timer in here, lets go get him (Urban) (Stoops) are those guys.  Next level coaches are many, many, too many to even start comparing resumes.  Napier was this hot candiadate a few years ago, and with the talent he inherited, is struggling to win.  Just showing that these hot coaches are not always the best fits for some places. 

• Haha 1