Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

16 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Question for everyone.  Do we have top 35 talent on this roster? 

We have some talent but it's been years since we've had depth. The thing about teams is that you can have 15 solid starters, but the 7 weak links can kill you. Especially if the weak links are in the offensive line or defensive secondary, where opposing teams can target them every play. 

The other thing about teams is that they can make good players great through culture, scheme, and player development. Can't make s#!tty players great, but there is an abundance of talent in the middle-range, where 17 and 18 year old kids haven't finished growing or had a coach fine-tune their skills or figure out they weren't even playing their best position.

So maybe to kinda answer your question: we could easily have 15 players with top 35 talent on this roster ( a pretty modest bar) but the drop-off at the other positions and depth charts means we don't have enough to beat top 35 teams.

If the question is whether we can get better players to come to Nebraska the answer is yes, of course. That's how every crappy team gets better. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We have some talent but it's been years since we've had depth. The thing about teams is that you can have 15 solid starters, but the 7 weak links can kill you. Especially if the weak links are in the offensive line or defensive secondary, where opposing teams can target them every play. 

The other thing about teams is that they can make good players great through culture, scheme, and player development. Can't make s#!tty players great, but there is an abundance of talent in the middle-range, where 17 and 18 year old kids haven't finished growing or had a coach fine-tune their skills or figure out they weren't even playing their best position.

So maybe to kinda answer your question: we could easily have 15 players with top 35 talent on this roster ( a pretty modest bar) but the drop-off at the other positions and depth charts means we don't have enough to beat top 35 teams.

If the question is whether we can get better players to come to Nebraska the answer is yes, of course. That's how every crappy team gets better. 

I was listening to Severe Reaction (Mike'l Severe's Sunday morning show on 1620) and he said that there are guys on defense who make occasional, really good plays, so they show glimpses.  But, due to lack of depth (again a reflection of talent & development) and being asked to play so many plays on defense, that the players aren't able to show enough consistency on the defense.  Eventually, this leads to a bust on the defense. 

• Fire 1
24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sports Illustrated does good journalism. 

Ehhh.  SI still has a few real journalists.  Most of the stuff you see from there anymore is basically Bleacher Report-esque blog writings of fans.  It's basically living off its past brand.  I don't even know if they actually publish a magazine anymore.

• TBH 1

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ehhh.  SI still has a few real journalists.  Most of the stuff you see from there anymore is basically Bleacher Report-esque blog writings of fans.  It's basically living off its past brand.  I don't even know if they actually publish a magazine anymore.

You can always tell the difference between feature length journalism and opinion blogs because they are longer, better written, and generally agenda free beyond a good story. I now know 10x more about Mickey Joseph than I did an hour ago. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

They do still publish magazines.  I get one every month even though I've never subscribed (and no one has told me they got me a sub as a gift).  Usually look at the cover and then toss it in the recycle bin.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Here's the SI article on Mickey by Ross Dellenger

Win or Lose, Mickey Joseph Believes His Time Is Now at Nebraska

He deserves a long look as HC.  Get a solid staff and he might be the magic in a bottle we are waiting for....  “Everybody wants Nebraska to stay sleeping because we’ve got the resources, and they know I can get players,” 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2

I like what Cole Stukenholtz said in his article about why MJ very likely will not be the hire:  "Trev Alberts doesn’t do passionate; he does pros-and-cons lists, thoughtful consideration, detailed evaluations and calculated action." 

I wanted MJ to get the job, but I'm seeing that he's not up to it.  That sentiment keeps getting the "he's doing the best with what he's got" response.  I agree with that response in part, but not to the extent that he should be excused for his (mounting) losses. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
33 minutes ago, Hagg said:

I like what Cole Stukenholtz said in his article about why MJ very likely will not be the hire:  "Trev Alberts doesn’t do passionate; he does pros-and-cons lists, thoughtful consideration, detailed evaluations and calculated action." 

I wanted MJ to get the job, but I'm seeing that he's not up to it.  That sentiment keeps getting the "he's doing the best with what he's got" response.  I agree with that response in part, but not to the extent that he should be excused for his (mounting) losses. 

Scott Fraud arrived with all the accolades one would want.  All the pro v con's.    And zero passion.  And got his a$$ed kicked each and every year.  A successful coach at school "X" doesn't mean success at NU.  Lack of HC experience doesn't predict losses nor equate to success.  It's a crap shoot.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

55 minutes ago, lo country said:

Scott Fraud arrived with all the accolades one would want.  All the pro v con's.    And zero passion.  And got his a$$ed kicked each and every year.  A successful coach at school "X" doesn't mean success at NU.  Lack of HC experience doesn't predict losses nor equate to success.  It's a crap shoot.  

lmao yep, as soon as we give TA some sunshine we'll always hear about the Scott Foster Brooks Frost hire.  .. oh well.... 

Just now, Hagg said:

lmao yep, as soon as we give TA some sunshine we'll always hear about the Scott Foster Brooks Frost hire.  .. oh well.... 

My comments were aimed at Frost checked all of the blocks that any AD would have wanted going into 2018 and has been the worst Husker coach in my lifetime.  And one of the worst P5 coaches after a 4 year run in histpry.  There is no guarantee that Aranda, Liepold, Deion, Urb or "insert coach" here will win.  There is no magic question that will insure a coach will get Nebraska back to their winning ways.  Regardless of the hire, I hope Trev (and I think he will) keeps a much closer eye on the program that Moos did.  As it appears he and Frost both did nothing while sucking millions from NU.  

Who do you think would check Trev's block?  Maybe Trev is talking to guys like Bob, Urb and Petersen to see what they would do to right the ship.  Then use this to develop a questionnaire/checks and balances to see if potential hires would be any good.  Maybe he says, screw it and offers Deion.  The great thing is no one on this board knows.  Speculations, hopes and potential.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
3 hours ago, lo country said:

He deserves a long look as HC.  Get a solid staff and he might be the magic in a bottle we are waiting for....  “Everybody wants Nebraska to stay sleeping because we’ve got the resources, and they know I can get players,” 

Ummmn.

....but like 24 hours ago weren't you saying he wasn't the guy?

1 hour ago, lo country said:

This is something I’ve thought about…How much was Scott Frost being himself? I’ve observed him for some time. There’s a multitude of causes we can attribute to his failure as a coach. He deserves plenty of criticism. What I noticed was that he wasn’t himself and not much into the role. One has to be themselves otherwise it carries over into the team. Buy in is associated with what’s authentic.

I sometimes think that he was attempting to meet what was expected of him of Osborne. And, it was an awkward role being on the sidelines where his head coach once was.

• Plus1 1