Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

19 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Ummmn.

....but like 24 hours ago weren't you saying he wasn't the guy?

The conundrum with MJ is that he may very well be really good in the HC role. But as an interim, the reminder of this season has been framed as a tryout for the job. As unfair as it may be (because with this team it will be virtually impossible), if he doesn’t win 3 more and get us bowl eligible, he likely won’t get the gig. IMO that impossible to achieve metric doesn’t indicate if he would/could work out here.

I do think the condition of this program calls for an exhaustive effort to get somebody in here that has a proven record of rebuilding and turning things around. MJ may be great but he doesn’t check that very important box, especially without the 3 more wins.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

My comments were aimed at Frost checked all of the blocks that any AD would have wanted going into 2018 and has been the worst Husker coach in my lifetime.  And one of the worst P5 coaches after a 4 year run in histpry.  There is no guarantee that Aranda, Liepold, Deion, Urb or "insert coach" here will win.  There is no magic question that will insure a coach will get Nebraska back to their winning ways.  Regardless of the hire, I hope Trev (and I think he will) keeps a much closer eye on the program that Moos did.  As it appears he and Frost both did nothing while sucking millions from NU.  

Who do you think would check Trev's block?  Maybe Trev is talking to guys like Bob, Urb and Petersen to see what they would do to right the ship.  Then use this to develop a questionnaire/checks and balances to see if potential hires would be any good.  Maybe he says, screw it and offers Deion.  The great thing is no one on this board knows.  Speculations, hopes and potential.

I’d say that’s quite similar to the approach Trev’s been taking.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Ummmn.

....but like 24 hours ago weren't you saying he wasn't the guy?

That was prior to the article.  He gets what needs to be done.  Frost had no clue.  I still think he deserves and interview.  Just like I'd still contact Prime.

4 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I’d say that’s quite similar to the approach Trev’s been taking.

Then I think it'd be great.:D

13 minutes ago, M.A. said:

This is something I’ve thought about…How much was Scott Frost being himself? I’ve observed him for some time. There’s a multitude of causes we can attribute to his failure as a coach. He deserves plenty of criticism. What I noticed was that he wasn’t himself and not much into the role. One has to be themselves otherwise it carries over into the team. Buy in is associated with what’s authentic.

I sometimes think that he was attempting to meet what was expected of him of Osborne. And, it was an awkward role being on the sidelines where his head coach once was.

I think that he did try to emulate TO's sideline behavior, but didn't have the rep to do that.  And maybe tried too hard to "be him".  Not simply go and ball out.  Bottom line, no one wanted him to fail, thought he would fail or glad he failed.  He had more chances and opportunities than any other coach would have.  I think his inexperience as a HC (2 years) coupled with Moos complete lack of interaction didn't help Frost as ll.  

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

That was prior to the article.  He gets what needs to be done.  Frost had no clue.  I still think he deserves and interview.  Just like I'd still contact Prime.

Then I think it'd be great.:D

You'd contact Chadwell too.

And if an article was written about Chadwell or Prime?......holy smokes what to do?

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The conundrum with MJ is that he may very well be really good in the HC role. But as an interim, the reminder of this season has been framed as a tryout for the job. As unfair as it may be (because with this team it will be virtually impossible), if he doesn’t win 3 more and get us bowl eligible, he likely won’t get the gig. IMO that impossible to achieve metric doesn’t indicate if he would/could work out here.

I do think the condition of this program calls for an exhaustive effort to get somebody in here that has a proven record of rebuilding and turning things around. MJ may be great but he doesn’t check that very important box, especially without the 3 more wins.

My response to Lo was simply that on Huskerboard many posters change with the shift in wind direction.

Or an article.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Mickey is clearly working his a$$ off for this program.

To be honest, I really don't even think he's in over his head. I just don't think he's got enough guys on the OL to be as successful as he'd want. Blame the guy who was here for the last 5 years, who had a chance to coach this porous OL. There will be mistakes that he makes during games, but I have confidence he will learn from them and he has already managed a few games very well regarding clock management.

He checks the box on every organizational quality I'd want in a HC. He's great with the players and they love him. He clearly has a plan where he wants to go with this program. He's not coaching the team like a guy who will be gone in a few games.

I loved that Sports Illustrated article. Mickey, from everything that I've seen and read, has a lot of integrity and grit. Every parent would feel comfortable sending their son to play with Mickey. He embodies everything that I'd want to see as a Nebraska Head Coach. He's getting valuable experience this season and I'm willing to give him a few years to see what he can do. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 2
3 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

To be honest, I really don't even think he's in over his head. I just don't think he's got enough guys on the OL to be as successful as he'd want. Blame the guy who was here for the last 5 years, who had a chance to coach this porous OL. There will be mistakes that he makes during games, but I have confidence he will learn from them and he has already managed a few games very well regarding clock management.

He checks the box on every organizational quality I'd want in a HC. He's great with the players and they love him. He clearly has a plan where he wants to go with this program. He's not coaching the team like a guy who will be gone in a few games.

I loved that Sports Illustrated article. Mickey, from everything that I've seen and read, has a lot of integrity and grit. Every parent would feel comfortable sending their son to play with Mickey. He embodies everything that I'd want to see as a Nebraska Head Coach. He's getting valuable experience this season and I'm willing to give him a few years to see what he can do. 

I'm 100% right there with you, but I don't think we can lose out and give the job to him. He's gotta win at least 2 probably

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You'd contact Chadwell too.

And if an article was written about Chadwell or Prime?......holy smokes what to do?

I wanted Chadwell prior to 2020.  Always been a fan of his since his days at Charleston Southern.  Been following Prime on social media.  Liked him a lot as a Cowboy.  More after his autobiography came out in 1999.  Good read tbh.  A lot of incite into him.   Not until this season would I have mentioned him as a coach for NU.  Who would you like as a HC?

For the record coaches I think would come here that are currently coaching?  Chadwell.  Possibilities?  Deion, Leipold, Gus.  I like the other names, but they are currently successful where 8-9 win seasons would be much more acceptable than at NU.  Maybe a better chance with the "next big thing" coordinator.  But then again, I never saw Lincoln to USC or Kelly to LSU....

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t think that Mickey would have it any other way. He’s had to work for and earn everything that he’s accomplished. He knows what it all entails. Doesn’t see himself entitled to anything.

I’m grateful for what Mickey is doing. He’s giving it his all and doing his level best. There’s not another person on staff that I would want more serving as interim.

Mickey checks a lot of the boxes. Some of the most important ones. His heart is in it for all the right reasons. He understands Nebraska. That said, we have a monumental task ahead where’s more seasoned head coach would likely be able to negotiate through better.

For now Mickey’s our coach. I’m pulling for him. He’s doing important work and it does matter however bleak the outlook on remainder of the season is. Those players need him. He wants to lead them. All we can do is cheer them on! 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 308_Husker said:

Agree 100%

And if Trev Alberts hires someone else, then ok...  I will still support the Huskers 100%.  And Mickey would want us to do that too. 

• Fire 2
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

My response to Lo was simply that on Huskerboard many posters change with the shift in wind direction.

Or an article.

I feel like I have been pretty consistent on my choices.  I also liked what @admohad said regarding to MJ and who we could realistically get.  I have also defended MJ after Illinois that you can't blame hime for this sh!t show. We are still witnessing Frost's hands all over the program.  Read the SI and accompanying Journal article related to MJ's comments on Frost.  Pretty telling.  And yes, the article impressed me.  If I was the AD, i'd liked it.  Straight forward, in your face comments. I like the direct comments and calling out the weak crap he saw as a coach.  And the excuses people use about facilities and recruiting....And yes, I still continue to support Chadwell.  Even after his NCAA violations at Charleston Southern....And Prime. Even after his failed Charter school in Dallas.  

So who do you want?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

I feel like I have been pretty consistent on my choices.  I also liked what @admohad said regarding to MJ and who we could realistically get.  I have also defended MJ after Illinois that you can't blame hime for this sh!t show. We are still witnessing Frost's hands all over the program.  Read the SI and accompanying Journal article related to MJ's comments on Frost.  Pretty telling.  And yes, the article impressed me.  If I was the AD, i'd liked it.  Straight forward, in your face comments. I like the direct comments and calling out the weak crap he saw as a coach.  And the excuses people use about facilities and recruiting....And yes, I still continue to support Chadwell.  Even after his NCAA violations at Charleston Southern....And Prime. Even after his failed Charter school in Dallas.  

So who do you want?

If I was a betting man it'll be Mickey.

He has significant booster and admin influence.

And while you said no more former Husker players as coaches, boosters will still lean that way.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I'm 100% right there with you, but I don't think we can lose out and give the job to him. He's gotta win at least 2 probably

Frost was able to win 4, 5, 3, and 3 and still come back.  Yes, ND was with Frost, but MJ has "tied" Frost's last two seasons with the possibility (slim) to eclipse it.  Unsure how he can be judged by W-L, when it's not his staff, recruits or scheme.  If we put a number on him to get the HC job (with this crap show) would a new coach be given "X" number of years to get his staff, guys, system in place?  Yes.  So how can wins be a condition of getting hired?  Shouldn't that be a condition before we look at a guy?  Who wants average?  I want Chadwell or deions career record....He's worth an interview.  

Bottom line, is there are a million opinions on who the new coach should be.  Might be someone that has been named or someone we have never heard of.  Cally was not on the radar.  Riley was not on the radar.  Frost was a fan fave and sure fire way to win and win big.  It's a crap shoot.  Mickey is a "safe" choice.  Deion is high risk high reward. Campbell, Klieman, Liepold, De Boers, Doeren are safe choices as well.  They have a decent track record showing what their potential ceiling would be.  NU has been down so long, I do not think I'd hang my hat on "imagine what these guys could do at NU.  To MJ's comments, I think a lot of schools are pretty equal in facilities. We can't use it as a crutch or selling point.  Our TV and NIL money could make a difference in money to perspective coaches, but not in development of players.