Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If I was a betting man it'll be Mickey.

He has significant booster and admin influence.

And while you said no more former Husker players as coaches, boosters will still lean that way.

You stalking me?:D  I did say that in regards to impacting our objectivity.  Frost, Ruud and Austin come to mind.    And after an embarrassing a$$ beating by Illinois.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lo country said:

You stalking me?:D  I did say that in regards to impacting our objectivity.  Frost, Ruud and Austin come to mind.    And after an embarrassing a$$ beating by Illinois.  

.....just proving a point how emotion changes for some posters every other day.

Or maybe every other hour.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

He has significant booster and admin influence.

And while you said no more former Husker players as coaches, boosters will still lean that way.

I won't begrudge your opinion, but booster and administrative folks aren't as myopic as we may think. A lot of them are quite intelligent and looking at the same stuff we are, so I don't really buy the "they lean towards former Husker players as coaches" narrative. I also don't believe MJ's perceived leverage or influence will matter that much if he goes 2-7 down the stretch.

• Haha 1

I want to also add that Mickey Joseph is someone I’d have confidence in that can “figure it out” meaning, that he won’t have convinced himself that he has all the answers but instead employs a process of discovery. He looks for answers curious and determined and tests himself without making assumptions. That’s an admirable quality. You want someone you trust working on your behalf that can figure out whatever their confronted having the desire and intelligence and curiosity to do it. That accounts for a lot. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I agree with this. The front 7 is probably the worst in the conference. If we are going to play this hold your blocks on the DL then the LBs absolutely have to be elite to clean up. If the LBs are pedestrian then you have to have dominance on the DL to get into the backfield and disrupt and bust plays. We have neither, literally the worst of both worlds and it shows. That is why we have this knack for making the average QB and RB look like Heisman material against us. I am 100% confident Dawson and Ruud are gone.

Bro, i am 100% sure everyone not named Mickey J and potentially Busch are gone after this year. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I feel like I have been pretty consistent on my choices.  I also liked what @admohad said regarding to MJ and who we could realistically get.  I have also defended MJ after Illinois that you can't blame hime for this sh!t show. We are still witnessing Frost's hands all over the program.  Read the SI and accompanying Journal article related to MJ's comments on Frost.  Pretty telling.  And yes, the article impressed me.  If I was the AD, i'd liked it.  Straight forward, in your face comments. I like the direct comments and calling out the weak crap he saw as a coach.  And the excuses people use about facilities and recruiting....And yes, I still continue to support Chadwell.  Even after his NCAA violations at Charleston Southern....And Prime. Even after his failed Charter school in Dallas.  

So who do you want?

Agree.  

It's good to be consistent, have a backbone, stand up for what you believe or like, recognize, and also understand if something different happens, it's not the end of the world.  It might be even better?  But it's good to have a starting point and avoid confusion.  So many people talk out of both sides of their mouths, which doesn't do anything constructive.  At some point, the middle ground will be reached by Husker fans with TA's hire.  

I know you like Chadwell, and I started liking him too.  Not my favorite, but I can be ok with him at Nebraska.  

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, 308_Husker said:

Mickey is clearly working his a$$ off for this program.

To be honest, I really don't even think he's in over his head. I just don't think he's got enough guys on the OL to be as successful as he'd want. Blame the guy who was here for the last 5 years, who had a chance to coach this porous OL. There will be mistakes that he makes during games, but I have confidence he will learn from them and he has already managed a few games very well regarding clock management.

He checks the box on every organizational quality I'd want in a HC. He's great with the players and they love him. He clearly has a plan where he wants to go with this program. He's not coaching the team like a guy who will be gone in a few games.

I loved that Sports Illustrated article. Mickey, from everything that I've seen and read, has a lot of integrity and grit. Every parent would feel comfortable sending their son to play with Mickey. He embodies everything that I'd want to see as a Nebraska Head Coach. He's getting valuable experience this season and I'm willing to give him a few years to see what he can do. 

This. And let’s be honest, there are some posters and boosters that have gone overboard with the anti-Mickey derp. 

The fact is, there are zero (realistic) slam dunk hires out there this season, and a lot of mediocre or unproven hires from guys who will have one eye on the exit the whole time they’re here (e.g. Chadwell, Sanders, Leopold, Campbell). 

Mickey ticks all of the boxes—he has a plan and a vision, he’s great at recruiting, he’s saying and doing all the right things as head coach, he’s had a positive impact on this team and their play on the field (along with Busch, even in the Illinois game), and for some of the boosters and purists, he’s a Nebraska man. 

Why not hire Mickey, make him a CEO coach (a la Mack Brown), and go use our B1G money to get the best OC and DC out there that aligns with the vision he has? 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

Good listen.  Describes what NU needs to be.  Just a gritty, mean, grind it out team. IMO, we have been big or bust far too long.  With the inability to eat the clock (spare the D) and bang at the LOS.  He brings up an interesting talking point  regarding does MJ even want to be a HC.  I think this is also something that can be asked of everyone on the fans list.  Does Coach X even want to coach at NU.  Unsure if anyone has even considered what MJ wants.

To the lack-luster crap show that was (is at the times) the O, perhaps that's MJ's hands off approach.  Perhaps as alluded to at the half, MJ wanted Smothers in, but Whip trotted out Purdy.  This isn't the only game where we told the opposing D what we were going to do.  A lot have complained about Whip telegraphing passing plays with his empty backfield.  Whip does have a tendency to be predictable in play calling.  When our OL can't even get out their stance on a PAT as evidenced by the video @knapplchad posted (upon closer exam, 3 didn't come up) no offense is going to work.  Perhaps this is how they have been taught.  Regardless, our OL is horrific at best.  

We just need to decide what we want to be when we grow up and make every action be a step towards creating that.  

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

This. And let’s be honest, there are some posters and boosters that have gone overboard with the anti-Mickey derp. 

I don't know about boosters, but there appear to be far more posters who have gone overboard with the pro-Mickey derp.

The fact is, there are zero (realistic) slam dunk hires out there this season.

While there are zero sure thing hires ever, there are several who are far closer to being a "slam dunk" than Mickey. Urban, Petersen, Deion, Kiffin, Fickell, to name a few.

and a lot of mediocre or unproven hires from guys who will have one eye on the exit the whole time they’re here

This is the worst argument ever. You're going to pass on someone who might end up being so great that he has other options and may entertain other options when that day comes? Makes no sense.

Mickey ticks all of the boxes.

No he doesn't.

He has a plan and a vision.

So does every single candidate out there. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

He’s great at recruiting.

He's good at recruiting. Great at recruiting are guys that have put together top classes a few years in a row for an entire team. He hasn't done that yet. He's been a really good regional position coach recruiter.

He’s saying and doing all the right things as head coach, he’s had a positive impact on this team and their play on the field (along with Busch, even in the Illinois game),

He's saying all the right things. He's not doing all the right things. He's turned diarrhea into a chunky turd.

and for some of the boosters and purists, he’s a Nebraska man.

This means nothing.

Why not hire Mickey, make him a CEO coach (a la Mack Brown), and go use our B1G money to get the best OC and DC out there that aligns with the vision he has? 

Why not hire an experienced CEO coach who's actually proved to be successful at running a program, and go use our B1G money to get the best OC and DC out there that aligns with the vision he has?

I'm actually higher on keeping Mickey than this post would indicate. I agree that once we get past the top candidates, then we might as well give Mickey a shot. But I don't know why you're just ready to skip over getting those 8 or so guys (I think we identified about 8 names that would be much better in some earlier posts) and settle for him?

• Haha 1