Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

41 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Huh? Those are exactly the games Nebraska won during the Scott Frost era. Two bottom tier Big 10 wins and a couple non-con patsies. 

In 2020 we beat a slightly better Rutgers team with a considerably better performance. 

This is what I mean by people who so badly want Mickey to succeed that they start making things up. 

2019: lost close games to Indiana and Purdue, both teams were not good teams

2020: got pounded by an Illinois team that was really not very good

2021: again lost to a bad Illinois team

No, Nebraska did not consistently beat basement dwelling teams during Frost's tenure

• Plus1 3

24 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

2019: lost close games to Indiana and Purdue, both teams were not good teams

2020: got pounded by an Illinois team that was really not very good

2021: again lost to a bad Illinois team

No, Nebraska did not consistently beat basement dwelling teams during Frost's tenure

2019 Indiana ended up 8-5 and NU was playing without Adrian.

I agree that NU under Frost lost to some bad West division teams. My comments were about the cross-over games against bad teams in the Big Ten East. Mickey was able to take advantage of beating bottom of the league teams in Indiana and Rutgers, which Frost was also able to do regularly.  So, that’s not a huge accomplishment by Mickey IMO, especially considering how poorly NU played against Rutgers. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

2019 Indiana ended up 8-5 and NU was playing without Adrian.

I agree that NU under Frost lost to some bad West division teams. My comments were about the cross-over games against bad teams in the Big Ten East. Mickey was able to take advantage of beating bottom of the league teams in Indiana and Rutgers, which Frost was also able to do regularly.  So, that’s not a huge accomplishment by Mickey IMO, especially considering how poorly NU played against Rutgers. 

Frost wasn't able to beat the worst team in the BIG this year...

Not saying MJ gets the nod, but don't take away from his successes.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Disagree. Talent is talent and recruiting remains to be seen. But coaching is about culture, motivation, discipline, inspiration, player assessment/development and scheme. A better coach should be able to take the exact same guys and do better than his predecessor almost immediately. That's why he was hired. I'm not talking overnight miracles, just overnight improvement.  It happens with plenty of interim coaches and first year coaches across all sports.

I was highly optimistic given everything Mickey had said and done, but both the Rutgers win and the Illinois loss left me feeling like he hadn't budged the needle much at all, not even by the terms he set himself. 

Like I just said, he might be able to get the job done given a full coaching cycle — or even this Saturday —  but people who want to give Mickey the job without regard to the 9 game audition he's being given aren't being realistic either.

I agree with your last sentence. I’ve made my opinion pretty clear, we need a new HC with more experience for our situation. I thought I was pretty clear in addressing those who said “but the Illinois game so he isn’t qualified.” If you disagree with me on that being myopic then I guess we disagree (and you’re wrong :P).

• Haha 1

For starters, I'd like a coach that could get u out of the basement.  Start regularly beating everyone in the west more often than not (might take 2-3 years).  No longer having the fan base worry when we play Purdue or Indy or any team not Ohio St.

Go with a coach who prioritizes a punishing running game with dogs in the trenches.  I'm sick of the big or bust O.  We have been too may years on the short end of the sh!t stick when our O depends on that.  A guy who can develop who we  can recruit.  And more importantly keep them.  Gotta bang in the trenches. I still like Chadwell for the aspect of his O.  Two back set with some of the guys we have at RB is intriguing.  As is his RPO triple option with our receivers.  BUT again, regardless of system, that OL gotta grow up and show up.  They are horrible. Even Saban, Dabo or Urbs couldn't make hay with the OL as they are.  And a S&C coach who is up to date on 2022 methodology.  Functional fitness would be great.  We are not looking to win a power lifting championship.  

Interesting few months for sure.  Hoping it's a dude that can unite and excite fan base and one we don't have to google or be WTH....

So MJ takes over a staff and players that he did not select or recruit- mid season and some of you call it an audition? 

Rather than compare  SF and MJ -as if we are comparing apples to apples (both coaches selected their own staff and players) try comparing the what-if MJ was the HC during the NW and Georgia Southern games hypothetical?   Does he lose those?  I think he does not, but that also doesn’t mean he the long term solution either. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

MJ was dealt a bad hand for sure.     but it's the hand he will be judged on.    if he had got us to a bowl with the mess he was handed he certainly would have earned the job.   but earning that is probably out the window like a putin critic in moscow by now.   

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So MJ takes over a staff and players that he did not select or recruit- mid season and some of you call it an audition? 

Rather than compare  SF and MJ -as if we are comparing apples to apples (both coaches selected their own staff and players) try comparing the what-if MJ was the HC during the NW and Georgia Southern games hypothetical?   Does he lose those?  I think he does not, but that also doesn’t mean he the long term solution either. 

Mickey was handed a mess. Really there's a minimum that he can accomplish. It's an audition of sorts. Far from an ideal one though. That doesn't mean that he's simply given the job nor does it mean that he failed miserably if the accomplishments aren't spectacular. He takes the responsibility seriously and is doing his best. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Mickey was handed a mess. Really there's a minimum that he can accomplish. It's an audition of sorts. Far from an ideal one though. That doesn't mean that he's simply given the job nor does it mean that he failed miserably if the accomplishments aren't spectacular. He takes the responsibility seriously and is doing his best. 

100% agree.

While wins matter, I think Trev is mostly concerned about how Mickie is running the program. I've heard more 'you have to respect the process and once you do the wins will come' talk from NU, than I've heard in a long time. 

From what I've seen and heard, attitudes in the program are changing and it's only been a month and a half. That's impressive. The wholesale change folks are holding MJ to account for, with most of the same coaches and players that lost to NW earlier this year, are unreasonable. 

Dont care if the interim coach was Saban, he can't grow lineman in the middle of the season or make them more athletic.

If folks want someone else as HC, just say that. Don't need to bash the man for unreasonable expectations.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2
10 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

100% agree.

While wins matter, I think Trev is mostly concerned about how Mickie is running the program. I've heard more 'you have to respect the process and once you do the wins will come' talk from NU, than I've heard in a long time. 

From what I've seen and heard, attitudes in the program are changing and it's only been a month and a half. That's impressive. The wholesale change folks are holding MJ to account for, with most of the same coaches and players that lost to NW earlier this year, are unreasonable. 

Dont care if the interim coach was Saban, he can't grow lineman in the middle of the season or make them more athletic.

If folks want someone else as HC, just say that. Don't need to bash the man for unreasonable expectations.

Respect and trust the process. Trev Alberts knows it was a difficult position to walk into with limitations to what could be accomplished. It's just one of many considerations. I would add that with Mickey (or someone other that doesn't have a current staff), that would likely be conducive to a more prolific one being assembled. I'd imagine there wouldn't be as many loyalties in play. All Mickey is owed is consideration. He knows he's not entitled to anything more than that or to simply be given the position. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

You’re right- it is an audition. I think I met a “fair” audition 

I do get the nagging feeling that it’s Joseph and has been all along. I guess we will see within the month. 

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, lo country said:

It's a complete and total crap shoot.  

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Coaching hires are always a crap shoot.  That's why it's more important for Trev to identify the qualities and experiences he's looking for in the next head coach, rather than the current trend of teams coached by potential candidates.

I’m starting to think that we just suck at crap shooting. Just ask the gingerhead man.

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

You’re right- it is an audition. I think I met a “fair” audition 

I do get the nagging feeling that it’s Joseph and has been all along. I guess we will see within the month. 

I think that Trev's setting the table up for success involving different potential options. Always in one's interest to have several ways to go depending on how things play out. 

7 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I think that Trev's setting the table up for success involving different potential options. Always in one's interest to have several ways to go depending on how things play out. 

WUT?  No empty planes sitting on tarmacs?  Say it ain’t so! I crave the drama. 

• Fire 1