Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

9 hours ago, SECHusker said:

100% agree.

While wins matter, I think Trev is mostly concerned about how Mickie is running the program. I've heard more 'you have to respect the process and once you do the wins will come' talk from NU, than I've heard in a long time. 

From what I've seen and heard, attitudes in the program are changing and it's only been a month and a half. That's impressive. The wholesale change folks are holding MJ to account for, with most of the same coaches and players that lost to NW earlier this year, are unreasonable. 

Dont care if the interim coach was Saban, he can't grow lineman in the middle of the season or make them more athletic.

If folks want someone else as HC, just say that. Don't need to bash the man for unreasonable expectations.

This is an understatement.   Everyone from the players to the support staff really like MJ being in charge.   He brings a different type of energy to the room and they all gravitate towards that.   I would not be surprised to see kids that he didn't even recruit leave if he is not retained in one way or another.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, commando said:

keeps the fans talking about husker football?

If I were to grasp at some straws, the biggest reason I could think to delay an MJ announcement (if that was the already agreed upon action) would be to convince the fan base of due diligence, which would be a bit snake-like and nearly unbelievable. Because frankly, I think fan reception would be quite poor overall if you effectively end the whole process 60-70% of the way through the season by hiring an interim who is 2-3 and has no HC experience prior to this season.

But like I said, that's straw grasping on my end. The more likely scenario is that there is no decision yet (or, it's not MJ) and Trev is conducting a full and thorough search and weighing every available opportunity to do what he feels is best for the program.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If I were to grasp at some straws, the biggest reason I could think to delay an MJ announcement (if that was the already agreed upon action) would be to convince the fan base of due diligence, which would be a bit snake-like and nearly unbelievable. Because frankly, I think fan reception would be quite poor overall if you effectively end the whole process 60-70% of the way through the season by hiring an interim who is 2-3 and has no HC experience prior to this season.

But like I said, that's straw grasping on my end. The most logical reason is that Trev is conducting a full and thorough search and weighing every available opportunity to do what he feels is best for the program.

I think that's a pretty solid straw that you're grasping.

If MJ was announced a week ago, the rest of the season would have been nothing but people talking about what a horrible hire it is.  If they wait, and Trev decides after the process that MJ is the guy, the announcement can come with explaining the plan going forward with a new staff.

The biggest issue with not announcing it is recruiting.  It appears that recruiting is going forward as it should.

18 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Disagree. We were down 14-0 at half to Rutgers. SF beat teams like Bethune-Cookman and on the very rare occasion-a BIG team that he got an early lead on.   In his last year he pulled out zero wins in competitive games.  

It's not even up for debate. At this point Mickey has us exactly where Scott Frost had us: two wins against the bottom of the Big 10, two losses to the second-tier Big 10, a blowout loss to a surprisingly mediocre Oklahoma. If you want to celebrate the 14-13 win against Rutgers as plucky and un-Frost like, knock yourself out, but I saw a really sloppy game that failed to build on the Indiana win. Pretty sure we wouldn't let Frost defenders celebrate a 1 point win against Rutgers, either. The Purdue game felt very much like a 2021 game; competitive but ultimately doomed. 

I'm rooting for Mickey but also.....you know....watching the games. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

Steven Godfrey stated Colorado had interest in Mickey before moving on to a list that includes Bronco Mendenhall, Ryan Walters, Tom Herman, and Casey Dunn and that ASU has interest but are running a really slow search that hasn't involved any interviews yet, likely to due the hemming and hawing that they're doing about their AD. You're probably looking at a similar list for both openings, so there's probably a 15% chance Mickey takes a job.

Guy is pretty credible and not known to carry water, so take it for what it's worth.

My opinion on Mickey to ASU is that they're probably more likely to retain Aguano than hire Mickey due to some overlap in criterion and Aguano actually being in the building.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, SECHusker said:

If folks want someone else as HC, just say that. Don't need to bash the man for unreasonable expectations.

But some of the anti-Mickey crowd can’t just come out and say “he’s black” as a reason (as much as they want to) so they come up with unreasonable expectations and incoherent comparisons instead. 

And yeah, I’ve heard from certain members of the fan base (that think because I’m a 2A guy I’m automatically in the MAGA camp) who find it unacceptable Nebraska would hire a black man to be it’s (interim) head coach. 

• TBH 3
10 minutes ago, beckmanfloyd said:

Enough of the talk that MJ doesn't impress you or you have to win with what you have.  That's BS.  Urban Meyer couldn't even come in and win with the talent Nebraska has right now.  Stop already. 

I'm sorry but it is what it is. Everyone is getting all sentimental about this. He gets a break on things, yes. But two wins against bad football teams (one of which was very close), a beating by what turned out to be a pretty mediocre Oklahoma team, a close loss to Purdue, and pretty much getting shut down by Illinois don't inspire a lot of confidence in me. I'm not asking the man to run the table. He beats Purdue, maybe I'm singing a different tune.

But I'm not going to let the fact I want Mickey to succeed be the determinant here. Right now, I'd say he's better than Frost. But that's a very low bar, and if we have the opportunity to get someone who has shown the ability to really succeed at the college level but pass because "Well we gotta give Mickey a shot and the players like him" I'm sorry but we're just doing the same thing we've done before. Get the guy you think is the best coach available and willing to coach here.  If you think Mickey Joseph is the best coach available willing to coach here, great. I think there are a number of better candidates with what I've seen.

• Plus1 1

Everyone stating MJ hasn't wowed you .. for Pete's sake, the dude has yet to put a staff together. Heck, he's not publicly said a word about who he'd bring in. His job right now is to keep afloat a sinking ship and hold together a recruiting class that is potentially better than past years. In those two "job requirements" he's done masterfully well and though we don't know whom MJ is considering as assistants there's one who does. Nobody could have held things together better than MJ has... And tbh, virtually every "desired" coach spoken of here has one negative that MJ doesn't. That negative is they've been fired from other programs. As this season progresses I find myself becoming a HUGE Mickey fan. Yes, because he's successfully accomplishing that which was asked of him.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2