Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Ish.

The point I was making though was some want to move on from the 90s, which is not going to happen with a 90s Husker leading the athletic department and Tom still influential.

And that will be true whether Joseph loses the interim title or goes elsewhere.

I think the players, coaches and administrators from the 90s are smart enough to notice the passing decades and evolution of the game. Scott Frost proved to be a lot more Chip Kelly than he was Tom Osborne. I've seen nothing to indicate either Trev or Mickey is stuck in the past. Point is that we have to move on from the 90s if our expectation is Nebraska Football 1995. And that move was made quite a while ago. 

Osborne is still revered, but I'm not sure he's that influential. He no doubt has thoughts about head coaches and you'd be a fool not to listen, but neither Trev nor Osborne expects Tom to lobby or have a vote in the matter. 

I can back Mickey.  I think he would bring in a good staff.  He can recruit.  He knows the type of athletes to recruit to have success.  He learned and watched alot during his time with LSU.  That team was a great offensive team with some great talent, talent that he helped bring in.  If any of this has legs................

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 4

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

I can back Mickey.  I think he would bring in a good staff.  He can recruit.  He knows the type of athletes to recruit to have success.  He learned and watched alot during his time with LSU.  That team was a great offensive team with some great talent, talent that he helped bring in.  If any of this has legs................

Wonder who he brings in for OC and DC. Does he keep Busch for DC? 
what connections does he have to bring in strong coordinators and support staff?

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Wonder who he brings in for OC and DC. Does he keep Busch for DC? 
what connections does he have to bring in strong coordinators and support staff?

With his reputation on line, and his job, I think he would pull in an established DC that he trust to get it done, and Busch retained in a capacity of ST or DB.  I don't know if Applehwite would be retained, but if he like him for recruiting and continuity, he probably does.  

I don't think he keeps more than 2 or 3 from current staff.

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that Heupel and Dykes have done great jobs at quick turnarounds.  I also think that those coaches better situations than what NU has currently.  I know a quick turnaround can be done quickly, but let's see if Tennessee and TCU maintain these records before saying their rebuilds are complete.  I would love NU to have a single year like Tennessee and TCU, but I am also looking for long-term viability.

Ummm…..I don’t think we have the ability to see them long term before Trev decides who the coach is. 

My question would be what is more important:  OC or DC?  I think we need to have a good OC, and good offensive scheme.  Defenses are now all 3 down and either a bunch of corners or nickel like players.  The game has changed enough in that capacity that we just need 3 or 4 really good D-line players to get pressure on the QB and that seems to work out well.  Regardless of what we think, we all know that if we don't get better O-line play, it won't matter what or who is OC. 

Totally honest here. 

I like Mickey, he definitely seems to care and the players like him. He has more fire on the sidelines and interest than Frost ever did. 

With regards to being named head coach possibly I'm still nervous. He has won one game. I know he has a severely down roster and coaching staff but still, it makes me nervous and kind of queasy to think about naming him head coach and more of the same in seasons to come. 

I see some of the offensive linemen, who have been absolutely horrendous this season, keeping their starting jobs and I wonder, how can any head coach let that continue?

I know there have been lots of head coaches with success that had no head coaching experience before they got the job but I still am not 100% confident that Mickey is the guy. 

He is saying the right things though and if he is named head coach I hope all the success in the world for him, because as a person he definitely is due it. 

21 minutes ago, Micheal said:

Totally honest here. 

I like Mickey, he definitely seems to care and the players like him. He has more fire on the sidelines and interest than Frost ever did. 

With regards to being named head coach possibly I'm still nervous. He has won one game. I know he has a severely down roster and coaching staff but still, it makes me nervous and kind of queasy to think about naming him head coach and more of the same in seasons to come. 

I see some of the offensive linemen, who have been absolutely horrendous this season, keeping their starting jobs and I wonder, how can any head coach let that continue?

I know there have been lots of head coaches with success that had no head coaching experience before they got the job but I still am not 100% confident that Mickey is the guy. 

He is saying the right things though and if he is named head coach I hope all the success in the world for him, because as a person he definitely is due it. 

To throw out a successful HC that was a CEO, at a lower level, was Joe Moglia.  He might be an anomaly, but it can happen.  

Regardless of HC, NU has been found lacking in experienced staff to support the HC.  If we do hire a less experienced HC, Trev has got to throw out mad money at the staff and also ask potential coaches their vision of a staff.  Pretty sure he will.