Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

He’s got a voice that you will never question. 

Love the comment about the player ‘losing culture’. tweet  

‘’we’re going to teach them to not say things like that’’.Paraphrased 

also 

‘’This is not a losing culture. A losing culture is when guys don’t put the work in. This team has played in a lot of close games’’. Again paraphrased.

If you have not listened to the presser, you should. He opening statement was maybe the shortest ever, but then spent 30  minutes answering very specific question.  Media can live a month digesting his remarks. 

also love that he appears to be picking Vance’s brain. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

If you have not listened to the presser, you should. He opening statement was maybe the shortest ever, but then spent 30  minutes answering very specific question.  Media can live a month digesting his remarks. 

Yeah I was a bit startled when he asked if there were any questions.   :lol:

Seems like he's all business.

My favorite comment was when he was asked about his meeting with Osborne.   "He still talks to me like I'm 19".

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl about Mickey, but if he were named full time head coach (which I think would take miracle results this year), Nebraska would be losing the best part about his coaching abilities.

Mickey's strength is being the ace recruiter, where he can watch film of guys, identify the best targets, visit recruits, and work with the guys all through the recruiting process.  Head coaches are brought in to close the recruiting process.  Head coaches are too busy doing all the CEO-type work of the job to be solely focused on recruiting.

Unless you’re Scott Frost, and are too busy partying it up, too hungover to get to work on time. Lol. By the results, I’d say he was a horribly bad CEO. 

6 hours ago, Ulty said:

Even the little special teams decisions mattered in those last few seconds. Palmer tried to return the kick instead of taking the fair catch. He returned it to the 23, landed on his head, nearly fumbled, and ran 6 seconds off the clock. Poor decision, nothing new.

If you had to rely on a field goal to tie the game (or win the game, in several of our past losses), being two yards closer and having six more seconds to work with can make a big difference on that drive. But these little things have been plaguing us for years. In our first three games, we have returned kicks numerous times and come up short of the 25 just about every time. Failure to learn from our past mistakes, while continuing to make new mistakes, has been our identity. I hope Mickey can see that and fix it.

100%

At the time I called it a selfish move, it was at the least a foolish decision. And yes, the details and little things don’t appear to be important enough to this program. Not for years. 

Let’s face it. He can look awesome in front of reporters and answers questions in all the right ways. And to quote Bo, “At the end of the day…” it’s always going to come down to the Win-Loss column.

If he leads this team to a bowl game, he makes a strong case to be the head coach because he proved himself. Anyone else is an uncertainty at that point. Bo did the same in 2003. Granted it was one game, but think of what could have been had we hired him right then and there.

It’s tough because Mickey is a fantastic recruiter. And this is the opportunity he’s been waiting for. I can only hope he makes the best of it and we have more wins than losses during this 9 game stretch.

5 hours ago, floridacorn said:

I expected a dedicated D-Line & S coach.  Did not see this move coming at all.  Clearly MJ is putting faith in Chins & I don’t think that’s the direction I would go in if I were in his shoes.

I think Mickey is convincing Chins to get rid of the bend but don’t break scheme. Obviously he’s already consulted with his brother Vance. He already knows we’re not gap smart. We’re not tackling well. He knows it’s going to take reps and hammering your craft until it becomes muscle memory.

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl about Mickey, but if he were named full time head coach (which I think would take miracle results this year), Nebraska would be losing the best part about his coaching abilities.

Mickey's strength is being the ace recruiter, where he can watch film of guys, identify the best targets, visit recruits, and work with the guys all through the recruiting process.  Head coaches are brought in to close the recruiting process.  Head coaches are too busy doing all the CEO-type work of the job to be solely focused on recruiting.

Says who?  Its pretty well known that the likes of saban and urban are relentlessly maniacal about how their program recruits and they are/have always been actively involved as part of it.  

It doesn't seem like interim coaches get hired on full time that often.  Yeah it happens, I just think the odds are against him.   I imagine he would need to win at least 5 games out of the next 9 to make a case.

Tall task with at team that's only won 1 out of it's last 9.  The 1 being an FCS opponent.

I'm rooting for him though, I think it could be a good thing for the program if he pulls it off.

With HCMJ, the reality is this is the best job interview for HC a guy can get.  IMHO, do well and it's yours.  The "doing well" is subjective.  W-L, statistical improvement, defensive stats. offensive stats, Who really knows.  I'd think if we go bowling, the job should be his.  To be the interim, with no prior knowledge of it happening, to coach with a staff that you might or might not keep, coupled with the innuendos about the program and the past 4 seasons record would be a hell of a resume.  This would show me he has what it takes to get the job done and has proved it in the conference he would be in, with the players he would have and possibly some of the staff.  Something his former boss could not do in 4 years.  It would also mean that he would probably have to beat Wisky, Iowa and Minny to do this....Something Frost failed to do save 1 win against Minny....I  do not know if something like this has ever happened in year 5 with a guy on the staff.  GBR

4 hours ago, Dansker said:

I think Mickey is convincing Chins to get rid of the bend but don’t break scheme. Obviously he’s already consulted with his brother Vance. He already knows we’re not gap smart. We’re not tackling well. He knows it’s going to take reps and hammering your craft until it becomes muscle memory.

That Chinander needs to be convinced is an issue. All the more reason why he shouldn't have been coordinator. Hopefully they can somehow elevate the level of effectiveness as we direly need to.