Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

19 hours ago, Jeremy said:

EXACTLY. Can we just STOP with the race crap? If Mickey had a modicum of success as a college head coach before this year, it wouldn't even be a debate right now. He would be the guy. The lack of experience is the ONLY thing holding him back. I don't know if many people have been on campus lately, but UNL is absolutely a progressive, dare I say liberal place. Trev doesn't care about race, and there are VERY few other people that do. 

Personally, I'm coming around to Mickey, purely because of his tenacious recruiting, and what these recruits are saying about him. They're saying things that no one ever said about Frost, or Pelini for that matter. Coleman said that Mickey is the only reason he chose UNL. I have to think there are others like him. We haven't had that kind of recruiting edge in a long time, and we can't afford to lose it now.

Mickey is the guy.

I wanna see Mickey be the guy too. The biggest concerns I have that could be easily answered:

-What does he want from each side of the ball long term?

Offensively, it's concerning that we have basically abandoned the run game since he took the reigns. Is that him just allowing Whipple to do what he wants? Does he sign off on that plan? I know we have one of the worst O lines in the history of college football, but I don't think it's controversial to say that especially in this conference, you HAVE TO run the ball effectively to compete for championships.

Defensively, where would he take that? Would he hire Busch as the permanent DC or does he go hire a proven big time DC? It's hard to tell what Busch's defense would look like 2-3 years from now.

If Mickey answers those things the right away, I think Mickey would be at the top of my list. But he probably needs to win at least 2 of the remaining games. If he wins 3, I think he should be a lock for the gig given the mess that he took over.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I don't agree with everything either, but a true fan is one who lives with the decision without being cynical

Well, most of the fan base has been up in arms about various decisions by entities on high, which may have been a factor when a certain AD was removed some time ago.  This football program has been trashed by ADs and coaches for over 20 years now.  Dissent abounds.  Lock-step allegiance is not needed but may be a contributing factor in Nebraska failings over time.  It's very difficult to sort, but it appears we're making the same mistake(s) over and over again. 

23 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Had me with the first half about Joseph then lost me with the race crap. Within the realm of college football, I always viewed NU as more of a trendsetter in the "raced doesn't matter" category. Had a lot of black QBs in a time when some actually thought skin color translated to QB ability (or lack thereof). 

16 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Well, most of the fan base has been up in arms about various decisions by entities on high, which may have been a factor when a certain AD was removed some time ago.  This football program has been trashed by ADs and coaches for over 20 years now.  Dissent abounds.  Lock-step allegiance is not needed but may be a contributing factor in Nebraska failings over time.  It's very difficult to sort, but it appears we're making the same mistake(s) over and over again. 

I was a Husker before TO & some of the so called fans wanted to get rid of him.  Then those same fans made him a God when he started winning.  I also disagreed with a few things the univ. did, but I did not constantly whine about.  I gave the new people a chance.  Some things just did not work out, like Scott Frost.  What I do agree with is getting back to our culture.  Winning no matter the cost is getting to be a familiar direction by some posters.  That's not me and I do not consider these fans as being true Husker.  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

We aren't talking QB's here, we are talking head coaches. Sark was a mess as USC, gets another shot at Washington....fails, then gets picked up by Bama.....and then gets the biggest job out there... Texas. You have got to be kidding me. Kiffin, fired as the raiders head coach.....walks out of Tennessee and lands the Ole Miss job. You want me to keep going? All I am saying is give him a shot instead of hiring retreads. If race doesn't play into it, why do we have the Rooney rule? get your head out of the sand. Nebraska isn't ready for it unfortunately. Folks in western Nebraska (another members post) definitely not ready. But to sit here and say "race crap" is exactly the problem. There will always be excuses "he doesn't have the experience". Smh. How is Dabo working out? I keep seeing these coaches get chance after chance. Look at the SEC. Who was the last black coach in the SEC (football), Ill help you out, rhymes with broom.  Again, you can play for em, recruit em and win titles. But meh, not a head coach. You need more experience. You just proved my point. 

I think the point is this: you don't hire MJ because he's black. That's a recipe for disaster. You hire MJ if he's the right leader for your program.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I was a Husker before TO & some of the so called fans wanted to get rid of him.  Then those same fans made him a God when he started winning.  I also disagreed with a few things the univ. did, but I did not constantly whine about.  I gave the new people a chance.  Some things just did not work out, like Scott Frost.  What I do agree with is getting back to our culture.  Winning no matter the cost is getting to be a familiar direction by some posters.  That's not me and I do not consider these fans as being true Husker.  

There you are.  My point showcased right there:  "That's not me and I do not consider these fans as being true Husker."  You were fine talking about your loyalties, but once you put on your judgement glasses looking at other Husker fans you may be making a case for those who are disgusted with blind loyalties (and again, we see it in politics and other venues around the world).  Some of us want to win as badly as any other Husker fan, but we sure don't consider other Husker fans lesser fans out of those considerations you use.   Also, some of us were Huskers in the Devaney era, too. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Hagg said:

There you are.  My point showcased right there:  "That's not me and I do not consider these fans as being true Husker."  You were fine talking about your loyalties, but once you put on your judgement glasses looking at other Husker fans you may be making a case for those who are disgusted with blind loyalties (and again, we see it in politics and other venues around the world).  Some of us want to win as badly as any other Husker fan, but we sure don't consider other Husker fans lesser fans out of those considerations you use.   Also, some of us were Huskers in the Devaney era, too. 

I guess we both agree to disagree!  We both have opinions and are not going to change.  I'm not one to beat a dead horse!

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

And the ticket office charges them all the same.

But if giving yourself a title makes you feel better...

What does that have to do with bring  a true Big Red Husker fan?

This week to me is a great litmus test for Mickey.  He's had a bye week to scheme and prepare for a team that has a style that in the past has given Nebraska fits under the previous HC.  Illinois is going to come rolling in here on Saturday with a ton of confidence and a mindset of looking to beat the absolute tar out of Nebraska.  If Mickey can scheme up and help engineer a game plan that gets Nebraska a win, that will be a huge feather in the cap.  Nebraska is going to be close to a double digit home underdog come Saturday.

11 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

What does that have to do with bring  a true Big Red Husker fan?

About as much as "being happy with a coach no matter what" does.

If you want to put fans into tiers, no one is stopping you.  I just think it's a little childish.  I've said my piece, I'm done.

• Plus1 1