Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

You never answered me in the other thread.  If he doesn't win another game in 2022, will you feel that way?  What about 1 more?

Sorry @Hilltop, my bad!  You are one of my fav guys, so for sure I will gladly answer.

If the Huskers don't win another game this year, Mickey is still the guy for the job.

Really listen here.... no matter who the coach is or could be at this time of the year, we have the toughest part of the entire schedule in our face and will not be predicted to win any of these games.  

From 6-1 Illinois to Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa

Aranda, Campbell, Fickel, etc would not have the Huskers favored to win if they were thrown into the same fire and situation.  Now if any of those do get hired (I do really like Fickel, Ruhle and Aranda), they get to have an offseason, pick their staff, etc.  But these coaches would do no better than Mickey Joseph the rest of this year with the current staff and players.  To think so is ridiculous.

Maybe let Mickey pick his staff after the season, and run his offense and defense accordingly.

Should Mickey win 1 or 2 games with the Huskers obviously underdogs the rest of the way, that will speak volumes.

I'd retain him.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

I have a lot of friends who identify as Husker fans but don't watch many games, can't name more than 2 or 3 players, and don't know anything about the college football coaches we might be pursuing. 

But they do buy the swag that I don't, like Cornhusker license plate holders. Sometimes I think it's more about the state than the team.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Where do you think Mickey would get hired if NU doesn't?  Another Big Ten school?  Another Power 5 school?  A Group of 5 school in the South?  An FCS school in the South?

I don't know those answers.  But I think G5 schools like Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, Temple, South Florida (all AAC conference for example) would take a chance on him.  Not that they would, be just giving an idea of schools to answer your question.  At the end of the year, he will have 8 games under his belt as a HC of Nebraska, interim status or not.  That will peak enough interest in my mind.  He's not just W-L guy, he is a leadership guy for a football program and for student-athletes, which will be ideal for a lot of programs out there, including Nebraska.  

Gain success somewhere (examples given), and the SEC/Big 12 will come calling his name down the road.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, admo said:

I don't know those answers.  But I think G5 schools like Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, Temple, South Florida (all AAC conference for example) would take a chance on him.  Not that they would, be just giving an idea of schools to answer your question.  At the end of the year, he will have 8 games under his belt as a HC of Nebraska, interim status or not.  That will peak enough interest in my mind.  

Get success there, and the SEC/Big 12 will come calling down the road.

So, you are saying it's ok for schools at NU's level would only hire Mickey after he has shown to be a successful head coach, but Nebraska should take a leap of faith and hire him as an unproven coach?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

59 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, you are saying it's ok for schools at NU's level would only hire Mickey after he has shown to be a successful head coach, but Nebraska should take a leap of faith and hire him as an unproven coach?

No I did not say that.  I thought you had asked who would hire him if Nebraska don't?  I already say he should be coach next year in Lincoln. 

I gave examples of other places that I think would be interested in him if he isn't made the Husker coach next year because that is exactly what you asked me.  And I prefaced by saying I don't know the answers.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

No I did not say that.  I thought you had asked who would hire him if Nebraska don't?  I already say he should be coach next year in Lincoln. 

I gave examples of other places that I think would be interested in him if he isn't made the Husker coach next year because that is exactly what you asked me.  And I prefaced by saying I don't know the answers.  

I understand that you answered what I asked and I appreciate that.  But, in your answer you state "If Mickey proves himself as a winner at a lower, G5 level, then schools in the SEC or Big 12 could come calling."  I do agree with that statement.

However, I am just curious why your standard for Nebraska hiring Mickey as an unproven head coach at the FBS level is ok for 2022, but schools in the SEC or Big 12 would only hire him after he shows a positive track record.  Shouldn't Nebraska have the same standards for Mickey, as the SEC and Big 12 schools?

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand that you answered what I asked and I appreciate that.  But, in your answer you state "If Mickey proves himself as a winner at a lower, G5 level, then schools in the SEC or Big 12 could come calling."  I do agree with that statement.

However, I am just curious why your standard for Nebraska hiring Mickey as an unproven head coach at the FBS level is ok for 2022, but schools in the SEC or Big 12 would only hire him after he shows a positive track record.  Shouldn't Nebraska have the same standards for Mickey, as the SEC and Big 12 schools?

OHhhh, gotcha.  I think the current coach would bring some stability and continuity moving forward.  And he has shown he can get his team to win 2 out 3 so far (forget the OU game, that was like one day of practice from firing Frost).  And he won on the road in the Big Ten.  I think he is in a super tough situation, but doing an admirable job.  If he get fired after 3 years, well the next splash hire would could get hired instead of Mickey, might get fired in 3 years also.  However, that is nowhere near my main points.  I would safe Fickell would be my safest bet, then Ruhle, then Aranda.  But I am all in on Mickey right now keeping the job for reasons I have state before.  And also to be honest, Fickell won't be in a tough conference (Big 12) for another season... Ruhle is out of a job, and Aranda has it good where he is at.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, admo said:

Sorry @Hilltop, my bad!  You are one of my fav guys, so for sure I will gladly answer.

If the Huskers don't win another game this year, Mickey is still the guy for the job.

Really listen here.... no matter who the coach is or could be at this time of the year, we have the toughest part of the entire schedule in our face and will not be predicted to win any of these games.  

From 6-1 Illinois to Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa

Aranda, Campbell, Fickel, etc would not have the Huskers favored to win if they were thrown into the same fire and situation.  Now if any of those do get hired (I do really like Fickel, Ruhle and Aranda), they get to have an offseason, pick their staff, etc.  But these coaches would do no better than Mickey Joseph the rest of this year with the current staff and players.  To think so is ridiculous.

Maybe let Mickey pick his staff after the season, and run his offense and defense accordingly.

Should Mickey win 1 or 2 games with the Huskers obviously underdogs the rest of the way, that will speak volumes.

I'd retain him.

I would remain optimistic if Mickey was retained and given a full recruiting cycle and resources. Given the crap shoots out there, it's an acceptable combination of risk and safety. Several coaches excite me less.

But I don't get the metrics for declaring Mickey a success this season. Scott Frost was expected to go 6-6 if he wanted to keep his job, and that would have included at least two wins in the harder part of the schedule --- a schedule most definitely easier than last season. If we are giving Mickey credit for righting the ship, then it's reasonable to claim the dumpster fire part is over and Mickey and staff can show improvement with what they inherited, which includes motivation, assessment/development, and offensive and defensive scheming. Have we seen that in his four games? Again, I'd like to think so, but the quality of wins and caliber of opponents feels really familiar to the past 7 seasons.

Should you expect a new coach to show immediate improvement with the same players? Yes. Absolutely. That's the whole point. 

Only one more win really won't speak volumes. Two will definitely cheer me up. But if a 5-7 season would have gotten Frost fired, I don't see why it should protect Mickey.

That still leaves MJ in the driver's seat. Come late November when the big names spurn offers --- hopefully behind the scenes --- Mickey Joseph could easily look a lot better than some of the panicky, expensive and uninspired options. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, admo said:

OHhhh, gotcha.  I think the current coach would bring some stability and continuity moving forward.  And he has shown he can get his team to win 2 out 3 so far (forget the OU game, that was like one day of practice from firing Frost).  And he won on the road in the Big Ten.  I think he is in a super tough situation, but doing an admirable job.  If he get fired after 3 years, well the next splash hire would could get hired instead of Mickey, might get fired in 3 years also.  However, that is nowhere near my main points.  I would safe Fickell would be my safest bet, then Ruhle, then Aranda.  But I am all in on Mickey right now keeping the job for reasons I have state before.  And also to be honest, Fickell won't be in a tough conference (Big 12) for another season... Ruhle is out of a job, and Aranda has it good where he is at.

I know you and are having different thoughts on things, but I don't see the purpose of providing stability and continuity going forward?  Why have stability and continuity of a program that has been complete crap over the past few seasons. and this season included?

Yes, Mickey was just brought in this year, and he has made some initial changes to the status quo, and I commend him for it.  However, I can't emphasize this enough.  I think NU is in need of a complete overhaul and rebuild.  The program is a complete mess and the results of the games show this.  This program needs a shock to the system.  IMO, a new coach and staff of assistants (with potentially keeping Mickey on the staff) is the best way to do it.

• Plus1 1