Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost just didn't do a good job at it.  He went after RB's....Don't remember him really hitting up Juco to build the lines.

Pretty sure one of his buddies advised him not to. Don’t remember which one - Taylor or Graham? - but one said to not go after JUCO OL as they need the time to develop and gel together. 

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, admo said:

No, I am ducking from your constant fastballs up and in.  

Sorry to say this, but I am blunt and opinionated.  I think Mickey is the best option.  I've said that at least 5-10 times.  I've given my reasons, look them up and brush them off all you want, I don't give a dang.  I've also said many times that if he doesn't get the job, I will still support whoever the AD hires.  

You need to work on you and YOUR own opinion of who should get hired.  And not on mine or anybody else.  Speak up and put it out there who you think/wish/believe should have 2-3 years to rebuild Nebraska from the ground up.  Because I don't recall who you said is realistically the next Head Coach for the rebuild job.  If you have, I must have missed it. Sorry.  But I'd rather know who your guy is, then having to keep defending an opinion of mine.  

ColoradoHusk wants a white collar guy who doesn't have a big 'ol chaw in during press conferences or public appearances......or at least that's what I understand 

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Frost just didn't do a good job at it.  He went after RB's....Don't remember him really hitting up Juco to build the lines.

We went after JUCOs quite a bit.  Held recruited them a lot.  Just few of them really turned into game-changers - Grant looks like the best of the bunch.

But not many on the line.  It's pretty hard to get JUCOs and transfers on the lines.  The instant-impact guys get snatched up by the big boys.  After that it's a crap shoot.  We got a few, just no real contributors.

2018 - Greg Bell, Will Honas, Deontai Williams, Will Jackson, Jaron Woodyard, Mike Williams

2019 - Jahkeem Green, Desmond Bland, Dedrick Mills

2020 - Niko Cooper, Omar Manning, Pheldarius Payne, Nadab Joseph, Jordon Riley, Eteva Mauga-Clements

2021 - None (No JUCO season due to COVID)

2022 - Anthony Grant, DeShon Singleton

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, you are saying it's ok for schools at NU's level would only hire Mickey after he has shown to be a successful head coach, but Nebraska should take a leap of faith and hire him as an unproven coach?

This is kind of a weird hangup when you realize Mickey Joseph has more D1 head coaching experience than Tom Osborne, Frank Solich, Bill Callahan, and Bo Pelini had combined when they took the job.  And Nebraska was at a much higher level in the landscape of college football when those hires were made.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

This is kind of a weird hangup when you realize Mickey Joseph has more D1 head coaching experience than Tom Osborne, Frank Solich, Bill Callahan, and Bo Pelini had combined when they took the job.  And Nebraska was at a much higher level in the landscape of college football when those hires were made.

That’s kind of my point. I think NU is in need of a complete rebuild and program overhaul.  The program is a complete mess and IMO experienced head coach who has led a program and can start this whole thing over is what I would be looking for.  I know past experience isn’t always an indicator of future performance, but with this hire, it’s my preference. I will just let this whole thing with Mickey rest, because he’s becoming the fan’s choice and I am in the minority on that side. 

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

We went after JUCOs quite a bit.  Held recruited them a lot.  Just few of them really turned into game-changers - Grant looks like the best of the bunch.

But not many on the line.  It's pretty hard to get JUCOs and transfers on the lines.  The instant-impact guys get snatched up by the big boys.  After that it's a crap shoot.  We got a few, just no real contributors.

2018 - Greg Bell, Will Honas, Deontai Williams, Will Jackson, Jaron Woodyard, Mike Williams

2019 - Jahkeem Green, Desmond Bland, Dedrick Mills

2020 - Niko Cooper, Omar Manning, Pheldarius Payne, Nadab Joseph, Jordon Riley, Eteva Mauga-Clements

2021 - None (No JUCO season due to COVID)

2022 - Anthony Grant, DeShon Singleton

Didn't realize we had that many TBH.  Sadly, as you mentioned, no real contributors.  Hoping that a new staff (whoever they are) can actually develop the guys we can get. Until we start winning, I do not think we will win a lot of battles with the big boys as you mentioned.  We need to learn to develop them into impact guys.

36 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Despite having my concerns if Mickey were named full-time head coach, this is the one thing that I like best about Mickey.  He does know what talent and depth on successful college football teams look like, and he will put in the effort into recruiting to bring in the talent.  For too long, NU fans have been watching the team, thinking there is quality talent.  There are a few spots, but it's not across the board, and there is absolutely no depth.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

What message does that send to the current roster?

We have quite a few high 3 star and 4 star players wearing the uniform.  I would like to assume they are capable, just lacking in some development.  Shouldn't the message be we need time instead?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

We have quite a few high 3 star and 4 star players wearing the uniform.  I would like to assume they are capable, just lacking in some development.  Shouldn't the message be we need time instead?

Mickey can spin it as "we need depth, and we need to improve at developing the players on the roster".  I don't think the current roster is all that good, but Mickey hasn't come out and completely said they are crap like Frost did early in his tenure.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I find it interesting that, the only people I ever hear talk about maybe it's not a good idea to hire Joseph because he's black and "people in western Nebraska aren't ready for that.....are the ones claiming we shouldn't hire him because other people are racist.

Wait, that's actually a thing? 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I think you could potentially look at it like a call-to-action if you’re a current player. He didn’t necessarily say “we need new players.” Somebody already on the roster could take that next step, develop, and be the kind of guy MJ is looking for. 

(Admittedly, it’s not lost on me that some players might see that and take it personally.)

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
37 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think you could potentially look at it like a call-to-action if you’re a current player. He didn’t necessarily say “we need new players.” Somebody already on the roster could take that next step, develop, and be the kind of guy MJ is looking for. 

(Admittedly, it’s not lost on me that some players might see that and take it personally.)

Probably anyone who plays Tackle or Guard