Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

How do we know he's a great coach?  He could be a really good position coach, but that's about it.

I heard this on the radio after the game, and it is something I said shortly after Mickey was named Interim Head Coach.  If you don't want to count this year's games against him, then let's throw this season out completely and go back to last year.  If Trev would have fired Frost last year, would Mickey have been a serious candidate to be hired for the head coaching job?  If that answer is no, then there should be a lot of other candidates ahead of him on the pecking order.

Just because MJ wouldn't have got the opportunity if Frost was fired last season to be HC, doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good HC.

Frost, Riley, Callahan all had HC cred but weren't nearly as successful as Bo no with HC experience. Let's not mention TO also didn't have HC creds before he got the nod.

The man is doing well with what he has, and the situation he was brought into.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

3 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Just because MJ wouldn't have got the opportunity if Frost was fired last season to be HC, doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good HC.

Frost, Riley, Callahan all had HC cred but weren't nearly as successful as Bo no with HC experience. Let's not mention TO also didn't have HC creds before he got the nod.

The man is doing well with what he has, and the situation he was brought into.

Is he doing all that well with what he has?  Today, the team looked a lot like how they played under Frost.  If Mickey were doing all that well, then shouldn't NU be playing significantly better?  Mickey's wins were against two of the worst teams in the Big Ten, and the Rutgers game was a terribly played game.  I hear fans saying "NU is playing better under Mickey" but NU is playing about the same as they were last year.  Mickey has taken advantage of trading out Michigan State and Ohio State for Indiana and Rutgers.

TO inherited one of the best programs in college football, and struggled to maintain that level his first 6 years.  I admit Bo did very well as a first-time head coach, but he had been a successful DC at three different college programs before coming back to NU as Head Coach.  Bo also inherited a lot of talent, especially on defense.  This year's coaching hire is a lot different situation than either TO's or Bo's situations.  This program is in need of a complete rebuild.  It needs a new voice leading this team.  I would rather have an experienced head coach who has led programs before.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Is he doing all that well with what he has?  Today, the team looked a lot like how they played under Frost.  If Mickey were doing all that well, then shouldn't NU be playing significantly better?  Mickey's wins were against two of the worst teams in the Big Ten, and the Rutgers game was a terribly played game.  I hear fans saying "NU is playing better under Mickey" but NU is playing about the same as they were last year.  Mickey has taken advantage of trading out Michigan State and Ohio State for Indiana and Rutgers.

TO inherited one of the best programs in college football, and struggled to maintain that level his first 6 years.  I admit Bo did very well as a first-time head coach, but he had been a successful DC at three different college programs before coming back to NU as Head Coach.  Bo also inherited a lot of talent, especially on defense.  This year's coaching hire is a lot different situation than either TO's or Bo's situations.  This program is in need of a complete rebuild.  It needs a new voice leading this team.  I would rather have an experienced head coach who has led programs before.

Tell me how you feel about Mike Gundy? His team looked worse than NU today. While I am disappointed with today's performance (mostly with Whipple's), I rarely see teams perform with an upward trajectory every week. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Tell me how you feel about Mike Gundy? His team looked worse than NU today. While I am disappointed with today's performance (mostly with Whipple's), I rarely see teams perform with an upward trajectory every week. 

I agree that it's challenging to keep that upward trajectory every week, especially in today's college football.  I don't see how this pertains to Mickey though, as I haven't seen a lot of upward trajectory.  Here have been Mickey's games:

Oklahoma - complete butt-kicking to a pretty average team, but I am willing to give Mickey somewhat of a free pass

Indiana - solid win, but Indiana is still a very bad team

Rutgers - ugly win (yes a win is a win) against another bad team, and that was not a well-played game.  That wasn't a "positive trajectory".

Purdue - NU got absolutely dominated in this game, giving up 600+ yards and 40+ points.  Yes, NU did well to keep it close by hitting big plays, but that was also not a "positive trajectory"

Illinois -- absolute regression to how NU played under Frost.  Poor game plan, poor execution, and numerous mistakes and turnovers.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost was the head coach literally a month and half ago. So of course there will be similarities. But unlike Frost, who could choose his staff, players, and everything else that comes with being HC, MJ has not been afforded that same luxury. He is finding ways just like any new HC that'll come and make the most of what he got.

And I think that is a point you're not getting, there will be teething pains with ANY new hire.

100% agree with you, but the rebuild is happening now. This team would beat Georgia Southern and NW if those games were played now. I call that progress

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, SECHusker said:

Frost was the head coach literally a month and half ago. So of course there will be similarities. But unlike Frost, who could choose his staff, players, and everything else that comes with being HC, MJ has not been afforded that same luxury. He is finding ways just like any new HC that'll come and make the most of what he got.

And I think that is a point you're not getting, there will be teething pains with ANY new hire.

100% agree with you, but the rebuild is happening now. This team would beat Georgia Southern and NW if those games were played now. I call that progress

Nebraska cannot risk a work in progress leader that has no prior head coaching experience outside of his current interim status. It may not be fair to Joseph, but Trev has to find somebody with a greater resume as a head coach.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Nebraska cannot risk a work in progress leader that has no prior head coaching experience outside of his current interim status. It may not be fair to Joseph, but Trev has to find somebody with a greater resume as a head coach.  

Joseph wouldn’t have even been considered if he wasn’t brought here this year. That’s why I’m out. Not even coordinator experience. I for one am on board with keeping him at WR coach. Would probably help to keep some guys together & he is a solid guy/coach. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

There will be worts on every coach that comes here. And if your expectation is whomever the HC is won't lose a few games in their first season, then this fan base won't be deserving of whomever we get. Even Saban lost six games his first year at BAMA.

• Plus1 3