Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

Another loss (lead squandered) and here we go again on whether MJ deserves to be HC, or at least be given '23 season to recruit and build his staff etc. 

I want to say yes, but that is becoming harder to do as we see signs of lack of player fundamentals and stamina, both of which are coaching issues most often. 

Just now, krc1995 said:

You’re acting like we have thoughbreds in the stable- when what we have is a bunch of sale barn killer pen horses. 

And why would we make adjustments at half? We were up10-0.  This was an excellent long term coach, with players fitted to his system , winning this game.  Not us losing it. 

I am with you in that the talent on this team is poor. I even said the first half was the best half of football played so far this year. However, the 2nd half was one of the worst halves of the year. Coaches and players deserve blame there. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Ironically this game was lost because of dropped balls. Hate to pile on. But the WR coach. Ooof. 

We definitley could have used the WRs to make some plays.  But a lot of those weren't really drops.  They were trying to make a play on a less-than-stellar pass and couldn't come up with it.  Those aren't the same thing.

5 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Minn was favored by 15.5, and we lost by 7 with a chance to win in the fourth. And folks are upset because we didn't pull the upset or Chubba. Chubba I get, but if we won would everyone who doesn't want MJ as HC been equally as enthusiastic to say MJ should be HC? 

Had we won, no, Mickey still is not qualified to be HC. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Minn was favored by 15.5, and we lost by 7 with a chance to win in the fourth. And folks are upset because we didn't pull the upset or Chubba. Chubba I get, but if we won would everyone who doesn't want MJ as HC been equally as enthusiastic to say MJ should be HC? 

I give them credit for doing better than most expected.

But I'm not saying this game changed my mind.  I've always said I think we need someone with some HC experience.  And I think there were some things over the last couple of weeks - clock management, refusing to insist on the guy he wants to play QB - that show he's just not ready for that role yet.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I didn’t think Mickey should be the HC before the game. The first half and game plan, actually had me encouraged about MJ. However, the lack of adjustments, making executive decisions (even during practice week) and overall poor play in the 2nd half, has me feeling the same as I was before the game. 

• TBH 1

Just now, talaricohusker said:

Neither did Bo. Or Tom or soilch 

Tom and Solich didn’t have to do a complete rebuild like the job is requiring now. Bo inherited a lot of talent, and he did a good job of making that work. He also led defensive units at multiple schools before becoming a head coach. You keep on making these comparisons, but it’s not anything close to the same situation. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Tom and Solich didn’t have to do a complete rebuild like the job is requiring now. Bo inherited a lot of talent, and he did a good job of making that work. He also led defensive units at multiple schools before becoming a head coach. You keep on making these comparisons, but it’s not anything close to the same situation. 

Could not have said it better. We aren't hiring a coach in 1997 or 2007. It's 2022 and the circumstances have changed.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Mickey has (next to) no head coaching experience. He's never built a team from the ground up, and he's never had sustained success at the P5 level.

We are not hiring Mickey unless everyone else turns us and our huge bags of cash down.

big-huge.gif

I just hope our huge bags of cash can pull away a highly successful coach from another university like USC did versus something like a fired NFL coach with little major conference experience.

• Plus1 1