Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

All first term Presidents have no experience running a country, but we still elect them. And I imagine running a country is more complicated than running a football team.

Experience is an overrated stat that folks put in some make believe formula that they hope will equate to a successful HC. Imagine if only all the ADs around the country knew that to be successful you just need to hire a coach with experience...

Rhule went 2-10 and 1-11 his first years at Temple and Baylor with staffs that were HIS. MJ is keeping pace with those stats on a team that he has only lead for 2 months.

With the new BIG contract we are not a monetary dumpster fire as some folks want us to believe. And I'm not concerned for a second about the sellout streak as BAMA, UGA, Clemson etc. have done just fine without as many sellouts.

MJ's ceiling is high. A lot higher than the others on Feldman's list. And he is showing he can be competitive under less than desirable circumstances. 

Not saying he gets the nod but he has done nothing to be dismissed.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I know you want a complete house cleaning.  I am still old fashion and believe in culture.  I am good with mickey.  I also believe much of the coaching & all the conditioning staff needs to go.

What culture has Mickey cultivated? He certainly hasn’t done much the turn around the culture of losing. He’s done a great job of continuing that. 

22 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t like any of the candidates so let’s take this search into 2023 and leave MJ there for the year 

Yeah. That’s smart. Just keep rolling over the interim tag. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

Some coaches take a 'CEO' approach because they want to more easily focus on the whole team without overloading themselves.

Mickey takes the CEO approach because he has to - he's never been a coordinator before, and doesn't know when or how to step in to overrule his coordinators.

2 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

THIS ISNT MJ TEAM HE RECRUITED FOR THE LAST 4TEARS!!!!!! THIS ISNT HIS STAFF HE HIRED!!! look at the record of coaches who have No HC experience that have coached here and see that have not had a record below .500 but the coaches we have hired with experience all have failed to reach a winning record here 

While I respect and appreciate your defense of Mickey, everybody knows this isn't his team or his staff and that the odds are stacked against him. It's a tough hand to be dealt, but that's the hand interim's get.

And most of them know (or, should know) that they don't have room for excuses. They have to show results with what they've got. This team isn't doing that.

Nobody expected a miracle from MJ, just improvement. It's obviously not fair to him to judge him without his staff and at least one recruiting cycle, but this is also his audition, and that audition isn't going great.

It is very rare that interim coaches are given the HC title. LSU did it because they had an experienced coach in Ed O- with prior HC experience able to go out and pay elite coordinators.

I would say Nebraska's situation is similar to Ole Miss and Matt Luke. He had to go 6-6 to be given the job. Afterward, his team did not make a bowl and he was fired. Mickey is not going to get us to a bowl game and should not be retained as HC. What should happen is Mickey is kept with the next staff. That way he has relationships and trust with players and can help the team give buy in to the next coach from the get go. 

• Plus1 1

There is SO much blame to go around on this team.  IMHO, Mickey is the least of my worries with the blame game.  Not his staff.  Not his recruits.  Not his scheme.  He inherited one of the worst teams easily in the P5.  No way around that.  going on year 5 of bewildering losses. No depth.  Young team.  One of the worst OL's I have seen.  Going on 6 years with no bowls.  All of the mixed bowl practices.  Saban/Dabo/TO/Switzer/Stoops/Johnson/insert name could not turn this product around in 9 games or whatever we are at. 

Yes he is the HC. Yes the buck stops with him, but what would you do?  Tell Whip he sucks (he does) and to start Logan?  Try to take over play calling (never called plays), or just try to do the best you can and hope for the best.  Not advocating for or against MJ, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t.  That's why, I'll say it again, the HC is a HUGE hire, but dude needs to have a rock solid staff.  Something we haven't had since TO tbh.  Solich canned his crew in 2002 IIRC.....

We are wandering in the desert of irrelevance and this hire will set the tone for the future.  Maybe as a poster stated in this or the coaches thread. This next guy is cannon fodder. It might be a multi year rebuild so no "successful" coach will come here knowing that your first priority is to get 6 wins.....And maybe you keep that steady for 3 years and then get canned.  With that argument hard to get a guy doing well at his respective spot. Even if they are only winning 7-8 games/year.....Don't want to flame out and ruin chances to go to a more established team.  Be anxious to see if and where Frost ever gets hired.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 1