Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

37 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Some head coaches rip their coordinators in post game interviews and in the week - and take away their duties. A few of these coaches are arguably the consensus home run type of hires we currently would desire. 

Deion at 3-0, demoted his OC this year. The running game was not up to what Deion wanted...

• Oh Yeah! 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Graded a little high in spots for me personally, but a fair assessment.  One thing he mentioned that resonates with me as I have complained about the "big or bust" scheme way too much.  I don't remember the last time we played complementary football where the O and D worked "together".  D gets worn out easily. 9 games in, with injuries and little to no back up depth, O have to eat the clock and give those guys a rest.  

Worse, it punted so fast that Minnesota could wear the Huskers down, just like it has for five years now.

9 hours ago, 3gunhusker said:

Put this argument to rest-MJ will not be the HC.  He’ll be lucky to coach WR in Lincoln.

Now that’s that’s some funny s#!t right there. He will be retained by the next staff they would be stupid not to. He’s an ace recruiter and wr coach. I see him in the ACH role agin along with WR coach and recruiting coordinator 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

51 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Now that’s that’s some funny s#!t right there. He will be retained by the next staff they would be stupid not to. He’s an ace recruiter and wr coach. I see him in the ACH role agin along with WR coach and recruiting coordinator 

And that's a great role for him.  Not the full time head coach.

• TBH 2

I was thinking of creating another thread for this, but....

Where do we stand on the talent issue? If the talent you have in place is able put together multiple successful drives against a high ranked defense, if the talent you have on defense is able to shut down a fairly-prolific offense for an entire half, including one of the best RBs in the country, doesn't that imply you have Big 10 competitive talent operating a decent strategic scheme? 

If our OL is so inept, how was it able to open big holes for Anthony Grant on multiple drives? How did it get Casey Thompson a perfectly competitive Yards Per Attempt this season? 

Here are the choices

• Opposing coaches just do a better job of making in-game adjustments. This has been going on through our last four coaches.

• Something is wrong with our S&C and Husker players just fade in the stretch

• There's a lingering losing mojo; the same talent loses confidence and plays too tight; that falls either on game day coaching or the character of players being recruited

• You need to swap out players over the course of a game, and our talent isn't deep enough 

• All of the above

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Where do we stand on the talent issue? If the talent you have in place is able put together multiple successful drives against a high ranked defense, if the talent you have on defense is able to shut down a fairly-prolific offense for an entire half, including one of the best RBs in the country, doesn't that imply you have Big 10 competitive talent operating a decent strategic scheme? 

If our OL is so inept, how was it able to open big holes for Anthony Grant on multiple drives? How did it get Casey Thompson a perfectly competitive Yards Per Attempt this season? 

Here are the choices

• Opposing coaches just do a better job of making in-game adjustments. This has been going on through our last four coaches.

• There's a lingering losing mojo; the same talent loses confidence and plays too tight; that falls either on game day coaching or the character of players being recruited

• You need to swap out players over the course of a game, and our talent isn't deep enough 

• All of the above

All of the above and more.

Is the will and desire what it should/could be? Or, can members of the group execute their tasks for a period of time but as a whole their hearts aren't in it for the actions to be sustained effort. Combine that with a lingering mental aspects lacking confidence where that isn't sustained either. In short, lacking desire and confidence affected by a number of factors.

I think much of this is a reflection of their previous leader blowing smoke a lot of the time unwilling or unable to recognize or take responsibility. Doubt creeps in again and again. It takes a lot of doing to undo imbedded, ongoing patterns and create new ones.  

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here are the choices

• All of the above

Guy, you seem like a reasonable poster on this board, and you bring up some good choices/thoughts on "why NU is so bad".  I would agree with others that it's an "all of the above" situation.  I have been saying all year that there isn't a lot of talent on the roster, to mixed reactions, and that's fair.  But, I wanted to follow up with some comments on thoughts here.

• NU's o-line isn't good, but they were able to run the ball effectively against Minnesota by an effective game plan and scripting of plays. The first drive involved a few runs by Grants, and scrambles/designed runs by Purdy.  That initial scripting enabled the offensive line to be effective by using Minnesota's alignment up front and tendencies against them.  However, once Minnesota adjusted to what NU was doing, the o-line lost effectiveness, along with Whipple not sticking with the run.
  • I have used this term before, but other than a few select players - Palmer, Thompson, Grant, Vokolek on offense; Nelson, Reimer, Gifford on Defense - the talent is "replacement level".  That means that those guys are average D1 football players.  Yes, the players will show glimpses and make a few plays during a game, but they aren't consistently good/great.  According to draft gurus, there are only 2 guys (Palmer and Vokolek) who might get drafted in the 2023 NFL Draft.  There are freshmen/other young guys (Haussman, Ajay Allen, Hartzog, maybe some others) who look to be talented, but will need to develop to be studs.
  • As you commented, the players aren't consistent enough over the course of the game for a number of reasons.  There is very little depth.  Due to that, the starters have to play more snaps, which leads to fatigue (mental & physical) and injuries. When the starters to need to come out, there is a drop off when the backups come in.  Another by-product from the lack of depth, is lack of competition and improvement from the starters during practice.
  • Strength & Conditioning and Player Development have been non-existent in the past few years.  Other than a few players, so many guys have not improved since coming on campus.  I wonder if poor S&C has also led to more injuries, but that's tough to prove IMO.
  • The coaching staff wouldn't have hit the Transfer Portal so aggressively if they didn't have concerns about the roster.  After all, this strategy worked for Michigan State in 2021.  The portal has worked well tobring in Thompson, Palmer, Grant (JUCO), and Mathis (although he hasn't been as good as his hype), however the rest of the guys that they have brought in hasn't done much (if at all).
  • I agree that there is a losing mojo or mentality on the team.  They are just mentally weak and the effort isn't consistent.  After the Minnesota game, Caleb Tannor mentioned that for whatever reason, the team's mentality changed after halftime yesterday.  They weren't playing as hard and as smart, and they thought "we had one good half, that could be enough".  Tannor even said "playing hard and with effort is what we are supposed to do".  This is the biggest reason why I think there needs to be an experienced Head Coach to come in at NU.  A new coach who has led and rebuilt programs needs to come in and re-set the expectations of the entire program.
  • Plus1 1

@ColoradoHusk  Excellent :thumbs

I agree that we need a football program rebuild.  If we do, we need to start all over, from scratch.  Throw in the towel.  Have a bon fire, toss in the uniforms and the past fuzzy feelings and burn it to the ground. 

That being said...

We have the new AD.  Great first step.  

The new AD fired a beloved coach that was unsuccessful.  It was tough to do.  The right thing to do.

What are the next steps though, to reinvent Nebraska's future?

Coaching for sure, including Strength and Conditioning.

But I would also change up the look of Nebraska in order to get us out of the past, and into a modern new look Nebraska.

White N with Red Helmet, all read uniforms, sea of red at home...... all white on road... incorporate some black.  

Point is that if we are going to rebuild Nebraska football and its image, we need to rebuild everything.  

I know it's ridiculous, but I just feel like we need to go in a completely new direction.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, admo said:

I agree that we need a football program rebuild.  If we do, we need to start all over, from scratch.  Throw in the towel.  Have a bon fire, toss in the uniforms and the past fuzzy feelings and burn it to the ground. 

That being said...

The new AD fired a beloved coach that was unsuccessful.  It was tough to do.  The right thing to do.

But I would also change up the look of Nebraska in order to get us out of the past, and into a modern new look Nebraska.

White N with Red Helmet, all read uniforms, sea of red at home...... all white on road... incorporate some black.  

Point is that if we are going to rebuild Nebraska football and its image, we need to rebuild everything.  

I know it's ridiculous, but I just feel like we need to go in a completely new direction.  

We definitely need to do things to hit the reset and begin a new chapter.  Pattern interrupts. That’s sometimes part of the reasoning for changing up practices. Do away with things that can be associated with “here we go again”. I’d like to do away with Sirius being played and replace it. Add in some new traditions or put a spin on the current ones. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

We definitely need to do things to hit the reset and begin a new chapter.  Pattern interrupts. That’s sometimes part of the reasoning for changing up practices. Do away with things that can be associated with “here we go again”. I’d like to do away with Sirius being played and replace it. Add in some new traditions or put a spin on the current ones. 

Whoever the next head coach is, I wish fans, alumni, and media would allow that coach to do things the best way he sees fit.  The OWH writers have discussed these topics on a few of their podcasts this year, and they make good  points.  I think too many times we get caught up with "Well, this isn't how we used to do things...."  Sam McKewon has stated numerous times that he thought Frost did him self a dis-service by having a huge walk-on program which created a roster of 140-150 players and that became un-manageable.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, admo said:

That being said...

Teams do it all the time. We’re way overdue. New facilities will help too.

• TBH 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Whoever the next head coach is, I wish fans, alumni, and media would allow that coach to do things the best way he sees fit.  The OWH writers have discussed these topics on a few of their podcasts this year, and they make good  points.  I think too many times we get caught up with "Well, this isn't how we used to do things...."  Sam McKewon has stated numerous times that he thought Frost did him self a dis-service by having a huge walk-on program which created a roster of 140-150 players and that became un-manageable.

The walk on situation needs to end. This isn't 1995 where your walkons are scholarship quality at lower schools, they are now kids that shouldn't be on a Big Ten roster in any capacity.  Do we want good stories about local kids on the team or do we want a reasonable number of kids that are good enough to help make the starters better in the offseason.  From what I can tell we succeed at things in practice and I surmise that is because the level of competition there has been watered down so much.  Having 15-20 walkons is fine, we need tackling fodder and some special teams heart occasionally, but having 70 is just ridiculous.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2