Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

15 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Also hope not. He has literally no experience with that, either. I would actually think he would have an easier path to success as HC based on what I know of his resume.

It sounds like you and others are not thrilled with the idea at all. I see your point. It’s been suggested of a seasoned coach being hired that mentors Mickey and him transitioning to HC possibly sometime later in the future.  He’d serve as associate HC in the meantime similar as now. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Mickey has never been an OC or play-caller at any level.  Why would you force him onto a head coach in that capacity? Also, if Mickey were OC, that would take time from what he does best, recruiting!

I’m sorry, I’m not sure what causes this kind of reaction. It’s like Bambi is frolicking through the forest and it’s assumed I’m Mr. Wicked prepared to deliver a shotgun blast…

To be clear, I don’t believe in heavy-handedness or dictatorial leadership but collaboration.

No one is being forced into doing anything. I’m not going to put Trev, Mickey or any other coach into a joint lock and force them to succumbing to my will!

I’m not aware that Mickey’s seriously entertained the idea of  idea of being offensive coordinator. Nor is there any suggestion that it’d be an easy endeavor. 

It would have to be agreed upon between him and the head coach. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Better not be. If we don’t trust a coach to have the expertise to understand what staff he needs and the connections to bring them in, then why would we trust them to have all of the rest of the tools necessary to lead the program. 

Coaches, Assistant Coaches, ADs and their staff, work together during transition periods.  I don't see it as a lack of expertise on MJ's part so much as Trev Alberts supporting him as he moves into the HC spot.  That last part is conjecture (and a bit of hope, I admit). 

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I’m sorry, I’m not sure what causes this kind of reaction. It’s like Bambi is frolicking through the forest and it’s assumed I’m Mr. Wicked prepared to deliver a shotgun blast…

To be clear, I don’t believe in heavy-handedness or dictatorial leadership but collaboration.

No one is being forced into doing anything. I’m not going to put Trev, Mickey or any other coach into a joint lock and force them to succumbing to my will!

I’m not aware that Mickey’s seriously entertained the idea of  idea of being offensive coordinator. Nor is there any suggestion that it’d be an easy endeavor. 

It would have to be agreed upon between him and the head coach. 

It's just the pure speculation or recommendation of having Mickey as OC which seems ridiculous to me, so that's what garners my reaction.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's just the pure speculation or recommendation of having Mickey as OC which seems ridiculous to me, so that's what garners my reaction.

All right understood. It might not be practical. It’s not a recommendation nor am I implying that it’s an idea that should be forced.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I saw that quote in the OWH write up from today's press conference.

I found it interesting, but I'm also not really sure what it means (if anything). I'm sure he and Trev have had regular meetings to talk about the program from a week-to-week functionality standpoint. Recruiting, vision, needs, etc. In many ways, I think MJ has been actively taking part in an interview process, and perhaps Trev laid out from the beginning exactly what this process would look like and what a potential opportunity would look like to get the job. Perhaps that included not sitting down to talk about the vacancy until much later in the season, if at all. Who knows.

I imagine there will be some incredulous fans out there going 'what!?!? he hasn't even interviewed???' but I think that'd be a completely baseless freakout.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I imagine there will be some incredulous fans out there going 'what!?!? he hasn't even interviewed???' but I think that'd be a completely baseless freakout.

What!?!?  Trev doesn't even respect Mickey enough to give him an interview for the full-time job?  I feel sorry for Mickey for having worked so hard the past 2 months.  He deserves better than Trev and NU.

How was that?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What!?!?  Trev doesn't even respect Mickey enough to give him an interview for the full-time job?  I feel sorry for Mickey for having worked so hard the past 2 months.  He deserves better than Trev and NU.

How was that?

Chef’s kiss!

• Oh Yeah! 1

Good for Mickey, because if I am him and knew the writing on the wall, I surely wouldn't be open about it to the Media.  I'd lie because as the interim HC with 2 games left, it is NOBODY'S business.  Definitely not the public's business.

And if there is something different on the table for him at Nebraska, but was asked to keep it quiet, I'd lie and deny anything too.  Media doesn't pay Mickey, NU does.  You keep quiet and do your job.  

And if Mickey is getting options from other schools (FCS/G5), you keep it quiet and keep preparing your team for Wisconsin and Iowa.

So yeah, good for Mickey.  It's pretty obvious to me.