Does Anyone Else Feel This Could go bad?

husker009

8 minutes ago, URSS said:

Disagree.  The assistants will do as much as they can to stay in football- no one will hire them to their staff if they are labeled quitters.

The players will give everything except for the losers.  They want to move up to starter status so they look good in the portal, still have a chance for the pros, and most are competitors with pride.  They will respond to the new coach if he is positive.  Pelini got it done.  He was a great coach with a unruly mouth and a childish brother.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is unreasonable to assume things will improve much in just six days. The defense will still be slow in six days, the players will still be used to losing in six days, both lines will still get pushed around in six days. Physicality and a losing culture are not issues that are fixed in just six days.

10 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is unreasonable to assume things will improve much in just six days. The defense will still be slow in six days, the players will still be used to losing in six days, both lines will still get pushed around in six days. Physicality and a losing culture are not issues that are fixed in just six days.

I agree totally with your last post.  The coaches may make changes and make some progress over the next 9 games.  If they don’t get rehired, their work will get lost in the coaching changes next year.  
Devaney was a success in one year with the old players and his coaches.  Bill Jennings was a good recruiter but no head coach.  I remember Devaney got an ovation when he called a pass play on 3rd down instead the usual run 3 and punt.  Today’s situation is different but I think Joseph has a situation where he can get improvements.

On another topic, Urban Meyer may not be a saint but neither was Devaney.  Devaney got results using his lovable character and humor mixed with some kick a$$ standards.  Meyers tendency to quit and move one a lot worries me most.  We should look at some FCS coaches with  5-10 year success record- up and comers like the North Dakota State coach.

I want Joseph to succeed but he needs to make this team his fast and that means Chin must go IMO.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I think things could improve dramatically with better coaching. Somebody needs to take over for Chinander who is starting to look like Pete Rose. Did you see the play where we shifted the linemen to the outside allowing them to easily block our inside lb and run for a td? I doubt they even do that in the Sunbelt.

30 minutes ago, husker009 said:

When did anyone expect things to chance drastically in 6 days?  OU will probably blow NU out, just like it probably would have happened under Frost.

However, with Frost’s job status out of the way and Mickey in charge for this year, Mickey can try to use the bye week before Indiana as his time to make his imprint on the team. Mickey can challenge the players, and try to get more out of them. That’s what good coaches do. Instead of quitting for a lame duck coach, maybe the players will be energized and feel that competitive fire again. These players don’t get to be D1 athletes without wanting to be competitive.

Will it make any difference for this year? There is a good chance it won’t. However, just because it may not work, doesn’t mean it’s not worth trying. 

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I wouldn’t imagine too many of us expect things to get much better this week or even this season. Seems like a highly unreasonable expectation given the last 20 years, the last 4 years and the last 3 games. This s#!t sandwich isn’t going to start tasting that much better anytime soon. If it does it will be a miracle.

• Plus1 1

In regards to this season?  I do not think we will be worse.  I think against OU you see a Husker team we haven't seen since Frost was hired.  You are a D1 player.  You are smart.  You bust your a$$ week in and week out to lose by 3 points, 6 points, one score over 20 times.....Almost 2 straight years worth of games.  Because of your HC.   I think you have a lot of guys who breathed a sigh of relief and probably quietly asked why did it take so long.

Mickey is a smart guy.  He has been around.  Maybe nothing was said to Chin because of the relationship with Frost. And that might even be input from Chins own staff.....As bad as we get mauled on the DL, I don't know if I wouldn't run some version of a 5-2/4-3 as a base TBH.  Unless we have a DD who can eat up blocks, our 3 man front isn't not working.  

And I am not implying that we are going to run the table or even win anymore, but I think we "look" different.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

In regards to this season?  I do not think we will be worse.  I think against OU you see a Husker team we haven't seen since Frost was hired.  You are a D1 player.  You are smart.  You bust your a$$ week in and week out to lose by 3 points, 6 points, one score over 20 times.....Almost 2 straight years worth of games.  Because of your HC.   I think you have a lot of guys who breathed a sigh of relief and probably quietly asked why did it take so long.

It’s interesting that the guys who have performed the best for this year’s team are the newcomers on offense and a couple new starters on D. It’s like they don’t have the baggage that long-time Frost players have. Maybe the veterans will feel free of not having to play for Frost’s job and their play will improve.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, lo country said:

Mickey is a smart guy.  He has been around.  Maybe nothing was said to Chin because of the relationship with Frost. And that might even be input from Chins own staff.....As bad as we get mauled on the DL, I don't know if I wouldn't run some version of a 5-2/4-3 as a base TBH.  Unless we have a DD who can eat up blocks, our 3 man front isn't not working.  

And I am not implying that we are going to run the table or even win anymore, but I think we "look" different.

The only way we can "look" different is not losing one score games.

Just now, lo country said:

And that might be it.  Maybe they look more relaxed and playing like they enjoy the game.

I’m sure Frost often told his players that they need to succeed for themselves, but the players probably never really felt that freedom. Now, the players can just go try to play for themselves, have fun, and maybe they will be more successful.