Does Anyone Else Feel This Could go bad?

husker009

This could go bad?  This year?? No, not with the offensive talent we have.  I mean, it sucked to lose last night but the offense was exciting and got us in a position to kick a game tying FG.  With 32 ticks on the clock.  From our own 2 yard line.  So I have a lot of faith in the offense clicking as we keep moving forward.

Mickey will be fine as an interim head coach this year.  Nobody knows how the season will play out, but the defense needs to make a lot of adjustments, especially with the 4-1-1-defense (4-2 insn't an option either). 

The future of hiring a new head coach is something I feel queasy and good about.  The defensive scheme needs an overhaul.

Next season and after, Things could go bad or remain mediocre, or even show  that future looks good down the road.  But, I am getting tired of the waiting period after a new hire and prefer some stability.  So if the next guy (who could be Mickey or ???? insert name) can keep us moving forward and upward, great.

This year and this team has too much talent.  Defense is the liability so far.

• Plus1 1

The difference between this season and 2007/2017 is that everyone knew the coach was Dead Man Walking four games into the season and had to go through the excruciating exercise of pretending otherwise for another two months. I think we will learn more about these players and coaches now than we would with Frost in the spotlight. And we have nine games to audition for a new coach. It's just better this way.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, lo country said:

(That was my haha face)  Funny response tbh.    Do you think Frost deserved more time?  Honest question.  Not trying to be a d!ck.  I just know that you were a big supporter.  

Of course I was hopeful Frost would succeed.  He didn't.

I think Alberts had Frost's back by firing him before the buyout went down.

I also know these decisions are made by those who have a higher net worth than I do.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

Unsure TBH.  I haven't seen the 3 high as I don't recall being in true 3 man front that much this year.  2 high at times as one creeps down.  

Was wondering if Chin was game planning for future games using the "the Iowa State D" Campbell figured out Lincoln Riley and created the Air Raid Killer 3-2-6 hell even Belichick is running it at times Air Raid Killer. Campbell does more with less just imagine getting some real players in the scheme Black Shirts would be back with Campbell for sure.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, husker009 said:

Joseph can't magically make the defense better in six days. There's zero physicality or speed on that side of the ball. It takes multiple recruiting cycles to fix that, not six days. If Georgia Southern, Northwestern, and North Dakota can move the ball effectively on this defense, then OU absolutely will. Chinander is still on staff, too, so our chances are not great. It's also a concern that we couldn't win the line of scrimmage in the first three games against cupcakes. These are huge issues that don't get fixed overnight.

Nebraska has talent. It’s not playing up to par. It’s a losing culture and hopefully, Mickey can inject some life into the program. You, nor I, have no idea what changes Mickey may, or may not make. The program was dead with Frost. The change couldn’t wait. Still 9 games left. Chinnander is a high school level coach. Maybe he’ll change that up? Who knows, but having some new blood, will not hurt things any worse than they already were. 

2 hours ago, URSS said:

Disagree.  The assistants will do as much as they can to stay in football- no one will hire them to their staff if they are labeled quitters.

The players will give everything except for the losers.  They want to move up to starter status so they look good in the portal, still have a chance for the pros, and most are competitors with pride.  They will respond to the new coach if he is positive.  Pelini got it done.  He was a great coach with a unruly mouth and a childish brother.

100%. Change needed to happen right now. Frost was a beaten man. He was so done. You could just tell. Imo, he was checked out. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Has Been said:

Nebraska has talent. It’s not playing up to par. It’s a losing culture and hopefully, Mickey can inject some life into the program. You, nor I, have no idea what changes Mickey may, or may not make. The program was dead with Frost. The change couldn’t wait. Still 9 games left. Chinnander is a high school level coach. Maybe he’ll change that up? Who knows, but having some new blood, will not hurt things any worse than they already were. 

What talent are you seeing? No one besides Thompson and Grant stand out. D-line has fallen off a cliff when compared to last year, offense couldn’t score 30 on Northwestern, o-line has been mediocre, tackling is terrible. I just fail to see many bright spots on this team that can be fixed in just a nine game span. Part of the issue in my opinion is a lack of talent on both sides of the ball. Talented teams do not lose to Georgia Southern or Northwestern and aren’t in a dog fight with North Dakota midway through the fourth quarter. This team has culture and talent issues that cannot be fixed overnight. It might take years to clean up these issues.

34 minutes ago, husker009 said:

What talent are you seeing? No one besides Thompson and Grant stand out. D-line has fallen off a cliff when compared to last year, offense couldn’t score 30 on Northwestern, o-line has been mediocre, tackling is terrible. I just fail to see many bright spots on this team that can be fixed in just a nine game span. Part of the issue in my opinion is a lack of talent on both sides of the ball. Talented teams do not lose to Georgia Southern or Northwestern and aren’t in a dog fight with North Dakota midway through the fourth quarter. This team has culture and talent issues that cannot be fixed overnight. It might take years to clean up these issues.

This is a teaching, coaching and lack of development issue. Nebraska has recruited mostly top 20 talent. All of its players do not suck. They are playing losing football, the culture is of losing. No one said it will get fixed overnight, but standing pat after last night, would be stupid. Maybe Mickey has new ideas, personnel changes,  defensive changes? We don’t know yet, but I expect a different vibe. We’ll see. Sure as hell can’t hurt.