Does Anyone Else Feel This Could go bad?

husker009

14 hours ago, TheSker said:

Of course I was hopeful Frost would succeed.  He didn't.

I think Alberts had Frost's back by firing him before the buyout went down.

That's charitable of you, but it's hard to overlook the fact that Alberts publicly made Scott take a salary cut and a buyout reduction in order to keep his job. If he had Scott's back, he wouldn't have threatened him with an October 1 clause in the first place, although some thought Season Five by itself was too generous.

We assume money makes up for anything, but it's hard to see a September 10 firing as anything less than "we are willing to eat $7.5 million dollars if you vacate the premises immediately."  Sounds like some donors made this "choice" easier for Trev. 

• Plus1 1

Recipe for mediocrity in coach hiring... Our fan base filling the stadium.  Pride and ego plus for us as fans and for an incoming coach.  Accountability problem in the sense of no consequences for a losing coach other than mass fan grumbling as we file in and out of stadium on Saturdays.  

Callahan even alluded to that off the cuff.  "They'll fill up the place for us no matter." 

Yeah we finally got rid of the guy who said the Big Ten was going to have to adjust to him then coached 47 games for us and won 16 of them.  But every home game he looked up at a full stadium.  Some (most?) programs out there suffer gate money losses as a losing season unfolds.  There are many other sources of revenue, of course.  But those lack of ticket sales HURT many football programs and their athletic departments;  it's a portion of their arithmetic every year.  We get our 50 to 75 (or more) dollars per person times 85,000 (or more) every home Saturday.  That's around five million dollars per home game. 

We can be funny and say, "Oh.. I see, so we need to stop coming to games so the coach sees he'd better win.. duh" in Goofy's voice.  But I'm just saying it may be a factor in the back of some minds that they've got that gate money no matter what.. so it cuts off one set of consequences that others out there do suffer.

44 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

Frankly, though, this is the most enjoyable it's been as a Husker fan in a while. This weekend we literally cannot lose. We get blown out? Well this season is lost anyways and a new coach is coming. We win? Well shoot maybe we lucked into our next HC already.

That’s pretty much how I feel. And really, the GaSo game Saturday was fun to watch in a twisted sort of way. Heartbreaking and disgusting but fun.