“You think he’s better than what we got?”

AdamKuisian

16 hours ago, chamrocck said:

The line about the B1G adjusting to us was also pretty bad. I get you have to have some confidence but struck me as too much, too soon.

He was in his early 20's having drubbed Peyton Manning's Vols to win a championship, standing in front of a camera stating NU's case against Michigan...and boldly.

That's just who Scott is - brazen and pompous.  What made him great in '97 made him, in part, a poor coach.  

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, TheSker said:

My most embarrassing times as a Husker fan were Riley's blowouts.  And there were several.

Frost couldn't get the Ws, but he moved us to being more competitive.

I wondered how you were going to handle this. This is pretty much what I predicted. 

IIRC, your benchmark for Riley was an Ohio State game where the Buckeyes never punted. Fast-forward to Saturday when the same thing almost happened to Scott Frost, but the opponent was Georgia Southern. 

I never, ever imagined that Scott Frost would be a worse coach than Mike Riley, but that's just the way it turned out. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
12 hours ago, chamrocck said:

At the initial press conference a reporter asked how Frost would adjust/modify his system to the B1G and Frost said he hoped the B1G would have to adjust to us. The comment implied he was bringing something fresh and new to the B1G like if Oregon was suddenly in the B1G. The implication was we were going to be hard to stop and score a lot of points. It was a miserable failure. @Farms is absolutely correct in the post about rarely anyone ever adjusted to us. We saw the effort to bring in some skill players but he never rebuilt the lines and never really had the power back everyone thought was coming. 

I actually liked Frost saying this. It made sense. Whatever overblown idea of what Big10 football is, a coach with a Chip Kelly background could totally disrupt it. No point acting intimidated by or subservient to the conference. 

But you do have to adjust team by team, and sometimes quarter by quarter, according to what's working. Every coach was better at that than Scott, regardless of conference. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I wondered how you were going to handle this. This is pretty much what I predicted. 

IIRC, your benchmark for Riley was an Ohio State game where the Buckeyes never punted. Fast-forward to Saturday when the same thing almost happened to Scott Frost, but the opponent was Georgia Southern. 

I never, ever imagined that Scott Frost would be a worse coach than Mike Riley, but that's just the way it turned out. 

That's funny you say that, because I've only left two games early in my time as a Husker fan.  One was the Ohio State game in 2017 that you speak of and the other was on Saturday.  I left both before half time.  Both times was my own little way of casting my vote so to speak.  As for picking between Frost and Riley, it's hard to figure out who was the least worst.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Farms said:

That's funny you say that, because I've only left two games early in my time as a Husker fan.  One was the Ohio State game in 2017 that you speak of and the other was on Saturday.  I left both before half time.  Both times was my own little way of casting my vote so to speak.  As for picking between Frost and Riley, it's hard to figure out who was the least worst.

I couldn't stand Riley.  He did go bowling (1-1), had us ranked, and did win 9 games, was a perfect .500 at 19-19.....He was better than Frost.  And I truly hate to say that.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm happy you're no longer wondering.

I was worried.

Almost.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:34 PM, AdamKuisian said:

“You think he’s better than what we got?”

This is the title for the Frost Era. And sadly he wasn't the first coach that thought that but Frost could have done the right thing and you just never know what could have been.

Frost wouldn't have known how to use Joe Burrow anyway; would've had him running option, zone reads and designed QB keepers.