Player reactions

On 9/12/2022 at 9:49 AM, Stumpy1 said:

It’s called Duval and his s#!tty S&C program. 

Scott specifically has called out Duval, the QB Whisperer kook, and Chin as being the best, in their respective roles, in the business.

It's as clear as day Scott doesn't know what he's talking about or doing which is now represented in his employment status.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

Scott specifically has called out Duval, the QB Whisperer Cook, and Chin as being the best, in their respective roles, in the business.

It's as clear as day Scott doesn't know what he's talking about or doing which is now represented in his employment status.  

Duval had ties to the old Husker Power with Boyd.  Times have changed since then.  A really good thread on the other board that got into the specifics of our issues.  Really boiled down to strength gains vs functional fitness.  We do really well in the "getting stronger" part, but doesn't cross over into the functional part.  It doesn't translate to on the field performance.  

• Plus1 3
On 9/12/2022 at 1:18 PM, lo country said:

Duval had ties to the old Husker Power with Boyd.  Times have changed since then.  A really good thread on the other board that got into the specifics of our issues.  Really boiled down to strength gains vs functional fitness.  We do really well in the "getting stronger" part, but doesn't cross over into the functional part.  It doesn't translate to on the field performance.  

I have a friend who started at Buffalo when Zach was their S&C guy. My friend warned me from day 1 about how bad Duval was. Pretty much any concern that's been discussed on here regarding Duval, my friend was mentioning years ago. It'd be one thing if my friend was just some guy on the team with an ax to grind, but he was a starter. He played with the likes of Khalil Mack. He mentioned how guys were overtrained to exhaustion and puking (think about our linemen puking 15 times daily, Tyjon Lindsey getting rhabdomyolysis). This happened at Buffalo. My friend mentioned the tactics that ZD would use to make testing numbers look phenomenal. We hear those stories about how well our guys test supposedly. Long story short, Duval needs to go!

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
On 9/11/2022 at 7:41 PM, Farms said:

I can’t seem to find the tweet but it was posted somewhere that when they announced Mickey as the interim coach there was a lot of cheers and such from the players.

Love that.  Nice to know, and I hope it's team wide.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:51 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I completely agree with him.  

Many players don't know how to win.  It's like they are just going through the motions and thinking that's enough.  The interesting/frustrating thing is, I thought this is what Frost would be able to change.

Mickey didn't like the comment.....

3 hours ago, jlar2486 said:

I have a friend who started at Buffalo when Zach was their S&C guy. My friend warned me from day 1 about how bad Duval was. Pretty much any concern that's been discussed on here regarding Duval, my friend was mentioning years ago. It'd be one thing if my friend was just some guy on the team with an ax to grind, but he was a starter. He played with the likes of Khalil Mack. He mentioned how guys were overtrained to exhaustion and puking (think about our linemen puking 15 times daily, Tyjon Lindsey getting rhabdomyolysis). This happened at Buffalo. My friend mentioned the tactics that ZD would use to make testing numbers look phenomenal. We hear those stories about how well our guys test supposedly. Long story short, Duval needs to go!

Yikes!  That sucks.  Thank you. 

And you are talking about the super short dude, crewcut and beard on the sidelines?  Looks like a troll next to football players and coaches?  That guy?  Someone pointed out last week that it's him (S&C  coach)

I know @Stumpy1 has said over the years that he's awful, which is good enough for me to agree.  

• Fire 1
59 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Different sport I know, but likely this is not the last coach Trev fires. Fred might end up getting the ax, too. I just don’t see him turning it around. 

What's Bolt's buyout?  Could be 3 coaches getting the axe in back to back to back years.

It is what it is.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:09 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

It may have shocked some guys coming in from winning cultures that Nebraska's problem wasn't so much a talent issue.

It’s not a talent issue. They’ve got some dudes. They play below their capabilities because they are coached that way. That’s just the easiest thing to blame. When you’re losing games, it’s easy to say it’s the talent. Nebraska has recruited well enough that it shouldn’t be losing even 1/3 of the games it’s losing. The players don’t know what winning is. This isn’t Kansas talent.  This is and has been, a coaching issue, from day one. 

1 hour ago, Gage County said:

Mickey refuted the premise, here's the presser cued up.

https://youtu.be/wApVrARZwh4?t=740

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I'm not so sure he agrees, but obviously you have a right to your opinion.

Mickey wasn't pleased about it.

Maybe “agrees” wasn’t the right choice of words but he isn’t stupid and he sees what we see. I mean it sure hasn’t been a winning culture. And maybe it’s just me but his presser comment sure seemed like he didn’t want the players saying crap like that, understandably, to the press. Seemed to me it was more about making the comment than the comment itself.

It’s not a big deal either way. I think MJ will deal with the culture much better than Frost has. Leading by example rather than paying lip service to it with the press.