No Program Identity

B1GRED

When we were succussful we always had an identity as a program.  Even under Pelini we had the identity of being able to pull off close/OT wins. The teams that stomp us into the turf have identities, they knwo who they are, and what they want to do.  Since Pelini ( and I'm to Bo-liever) our identiy has been "take what the other team gives us", heard it in press conferences from both Riley and Frost.  Losing strategy.  Figure out who we are, go out and do it.  Whoever that takes, what ever it takes, just go do it.

I long for the day when the OL breaks the huddle, points to the gap and tells the defense we are going to run right here, then does it.  God, that was awesome.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, B1GRED said:

FWIW our "run the damn ball" identity back in the glory days was AWESOME.

We were all there.

But just in case you’d missed it, we have a back with 428 yards in three games this year. So we are running the damn ball quite a bit even now.

Offensive identity doesn’t even crack the Top 10 on the list of problems this team has.

• Plus1 3

I realize that, but I still don't know who we are, it's different every week. And that doesn't seem to work.  Programs with identity perform consistently year in and year out.

It's about imposing our will on the other team, rather than trying to adjust to theirs.  Hasn't been working.

• Plus1 1

I'm a run the damn ball guy and I like our O.  Especially with the threat of CT running.  Just enough to put it on film for DC's.  Good ebb and flow.  It doesn't appear to be the previous years of big or bust.  Whip has the ability to go deep or dink and dunk in the passing game.  Something we haven't had in years.  Running game opens up the passing game and vice versa.  Good mix of running and passing.  I'd like to toss sweeps to see how AA or AG can do with a head of stem and some blockers out front.  But truly can't complain.  In the past, drop 8 in the box and dare the QB to pass to win.....Now stack the box we have a QB and enough weapons (really missing a BIG TE) to make them pay and pull out of the box.  Then hammer with the running game.  Or hammer the running game and they creep up he safeties to support the run D and open the passing game.  Last years D with this O, we are in the drivers seat for the West.

36 minutes ago, B1GRED said:

You have very valid points.  But ask any B1G fan who Wiscy is, who Iowa is, who Minnesota is, who NW is (they are David to the Goliaths BTW) they can tell you.  But ask them who Nebraska is, and ??? 

Failure shouldn't create an identity.

Iowa is a team that consistently puts up 150 yards of offense.  Definitely know who they are. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I am so, so thankful Frost is gone and I'm glad identity has been a theme since it's happened. Frost has been our identity. I spend most of my time around ISU, Iowa, or Minnesota fans and when nebraska comes up, everyone either mentions Frost/Adrian by name or describes them. I don't blame them, it's pretty wildass that the dude cannot win a one score game to save his life, just as it was that Adrian blew a lot of games for us late. When you're consistent, it becomes your identity.

This is an amazing opportunity for us to be Nebraska. Not Frost, not Adrian, Nebraska. I totally understand firing him before dropping the buyout because the Oklahoma game this weekend, which is probably going to get the largest audience we'll see all year, looks one of two ways:

- Frost coaches. Like last year, the broadcast talks about a coach on the hot seat who says dumb things and has mismanaged his alma mater. He keeps the game close and nebraska loses by a score. Everyone tweets and jokes are made. Identity is reinforced.

- New cool interim coach gives the team something to play for. Maybe it's close, maybe not, but there's something to discuss that isn't Scott. Even if you lose close, it was a good effort by a first-time head coach rallying the team. People root for a team like that.

Indiana, Purdue, and Northwestern don't typically get big noon kickoff, and with the state of the program it's hard to imagine we get many more opportunities to establish brand like this unless there's improvement. I'm stoked to see what our identity is on Saturday win or lose, and going forward. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, TonkaSker said:

I am so, so thankful Frost is gone and I'm glad identity has been a theme since it's happened. Frost has been our identity. I spend most of my time around ISU, Iowa, or Minnesota fans and when nebraska comes up, everyone either mentions Frost/Adrian by name or describes them. I don't blame them, it's pretty wildass that the dude cannot win a one score game to save his life, just as it was that Adrian blew a lot of games for us late. When you're consistent, it becomes your identity.

This is an amazing opportunity for us to be Nebraska. Not Frost, not Adrian, Nebraska.............

Well said.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Well, Frosty is gone, the team is 1-2 with a couple horrible looking losses, and OU is coming into town.

If the whole "No fear of failure." ever would have applied, it's now.

We don't fear failure!  We're confident in our ability to fail!  We have a body of work to suggest that we can fail (though not by a huge margin) more consistently than almost any team in the nation!

GBR!!!

• Haha 1