No Program Identity

B1GRED

49 minutes ago, 307husker said:

We don't fear failure!  We're confident in our ability to fail!  We have a body of work to suggest that we can fail (though not by a huge margin) more consistently than almost any team in the nation!

GBR!!!

New position: UNL Athletic Department Director of Inconsistency.  Ensuring Inconsistency, on a consistent level.   85% of the time, it works every time. 

26 minutes ago, walksalone said:

It's not so much even running the ball.

I remember when our O & D lines were just beasts.  That's what I thought our identity was.  The O line just doling out pancakes, and the D line so mean that linebackers didn't have to blitz.

Stupid PED testing.  Ruined everything...

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

National coaches bring in enough kids for that

What is a "national coach"?

Our identity has changed because our talent pool has changed. We were built on the back of hardworking rural kids in the trenches that knew what it was like to spend 10 hours a day throwing hay, carrying buckets of feed and water across farmsteads at a young age, working livestock with every muscle in their body. The decline of Rural America means there aren't as many of those kids around. The industrialization of agriculture means that even those kids who do still live on the farm don't work the same way they did 20 - 30 years ago. In most cases, kids can't even drive the equipment any more because it has gotten too computerized. 

There is a difference between muscles for go vs muscles for show. - When you're working in manual labor you learn to use all of our muscles together, in sync, incredibly enhancing your strength.  When you're in the weight room, you're isolating single muscle groups increasing muscle group power, but not using your entire body in sync. No matter how good your weight room and strength equipment are, its impossible to replace 20 years of hard manual labor training, learning how to utilize your entire body, learning balance, and leverage, and pushing yourself beyond limits because you have no other choice. Kids these days don't have that. They have 8 hours of video games or school, sitting- interspersed with ever shortening periods of physical activity. I think during the school day now, in grade school, my kids get a total of 1hr and 15 minutes of physical activity breaks during school and for at least half an hour of that they are supposed to eat lunch too. Then they go home and play video gams.  Back when I was a kid (god saying that makes me feel old.) we had at least 2 hours of physical activity during the school day followed by manual labor at home. It's a different world. 

If it were up to me, every spot on both lines would be filled by wrestlers. Its the only high school sport left, imo, that teaches a kids how to use their entire body in effort to achieve an athletic goal.

• Fire 1