Rutgers fan here

The Rut

With all the news going on at Nebraska, I wanted to stop by and say what’s up to the board. 

born and raised Rutgers fan completely brainwashed by my old man who graduated from RU in ‘81. 

Always liked Nebraska and the commitment from your fans, really thought it would work out with Frost.

Who are you guys hoping for next HC? BTN Radio was just talking about sitting HCs at Big 12 schools. I would think you’d want to lean into coaches with Big Ten experience?

Thoughts on a guy like Pat Narduzzi? I think he would be super successful at Nebraska.  

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, The Rut said:

With all the news going on at Nebraska, I wanted to stop by and say what’s up to the board. 

born and raised Rutgers fan completely brainwashed by my old man who graduated from RU in ‘81. 

Always liked Nebraska and the commitment from your fans, really thought it would work out with Frost.

Who are you guys hoping for next HC? BTN Radio was just talking about sitting HCs at Big 12 schools. I would think you’d want to lean into coaches with Big Ten experience?

Thoughts on a guy like Pat Narduzzi? I think he would be super successful at Nebraska.  

Pretty much every name in football has been brought up with no real general consensus.  Some would like to steal your coach. 

I'm not a Narduzzi fan at all but some think he would be good.

5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Pretty much every name in football has been brought up with no real general consensus.  Some would like to steal your coach. 

I'm not a Narduzzi fan at all but some think he would be good.

I know this sounds crazy, but I don't think Schiano will ever leave Rutgers no matter the offer. He's a very religious guy and believes this is where God wants him to be. 

Keep in mind he was offered the Michigan job and Miami job (some said this was his dream job) in the mid-2000s and he turned them down. I also know for a fact that he never would have left Rutgers for the NFL if he knew the Big Ten invite was coming. Paterno was his mentor and he thinks his place in this world is to turn Rutgers into what Paterno did for Penn State. 

Obviously, it's Nebraska and it's one of the best jobs in College Football though, so you never know. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, The Rut said:

Yo, love Schiano but I see Kirby leaving Georgia before Schiano leaves Rutgers. The only better fit for Rutgers is James Gandolfini.

As for Narduzzi, this year has really turned me off on him. He seems to be extremely loyal to a single defensive scheme to his detriment and talks way too much trash in the media for a middling coach. Gives me a lot of flashbacks to Bo that I don't wanna relive. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see him in the big ten soon, though.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Yo, love Schiano but I see Kirby leaving Georgia before Schiano leaves Rutgers. The only better fit for Rutgers is James Gandolfini.

As for Narduzzi, this year has really turned me off on him. He seems to be extremely loyal to a single defensive scheme to his detriment and talks way too much trash in the media for a middling coach. Gives me a lot of flashbacks to Bo that I don't wanna relive. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see him in the big ten soon, though.

Agreed. RU fans are comparing Lance Leipold to Schiano because he was another name we were looking at, but Schiano was just the right guy for the job. 

Was Bo really that bad? I thought Nebraska had some really solid teams with him. I guess it's a little different when you're so close to the situation, but I wanted RU to hire Bo at one point in time. 

2 minutes ago, The Rut said:

Agreed. RU fans are comparing Lance Leipold to Schiano because he was another name we were looking at, but Schiano was just the right guy for the job. 

Was Bo really that bad? I thought Nebraska had some really solid teams with him. I guess it's a little different when you're so close to the situation, but I wanted RU to hire Bo at one point in time. 

Bo has some some success but his attitude and demeanor was not popular. That and the blowouts in big games cost him the job

32 minutes ago, The Rut said:

Bo was extremely frustrating to deal with. You'd win every single game that didn't matter with a B+ grade on the report card and lose every game that did by 20+ points. Sure, we'd love to have those easy wins now but at the time it made sense. The 2009-10 defenses that he hung his hat on had some absolutely monster talent and his staffs were meh recruiters. As his guys came in the holes started to get worse and worse. 

There was also a really toxic culture he and everyone else in the administration contributed to that's been flushed out since, thankfully. He hasn't accomplished anything since for a reason.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, TonkaSker said:

Bo was extremely frustrating to deal with. You'd win every single game that didn't matter with a B+ grade on the report card and lose every game that did by 20+ points. Sure, we'd love to have those easy wins now but at the time it made sense. The 2009-10 defenses that he hung his hat on had some absolutely monster talent and his staffs were meh recruiters. As his guys came in the holes started to get worse and worse. 

There was also a really toxic culture he and everyone else in the administration contributed to that's been flushed out since, thankfully. He hasn't accomplished anything since for a reason.

This is revisionist history. We were dogs in both big 12 title games and lost those at there very end of the games. He upset Missouri in Martinez freshman year.

We just hadn't adapted to big 10 football yet. His defenses were designed to kill the air raid and pass heavy teams. It takes time to rebuild that into a power team. Had eichorst had his back, I believe he could have turned things around.

But let's not pretend Bo was a bad coach. He's the best we've had since solich.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, irafreak said:

This is revisionist history. We were dogs in both big 12 title games and lost those at there very end of the games. He upset Missouri in Martinez freshman year.

We just hadn't adapted to big 10 football yet. His defenses were designed to kill the air raid and pass heavy teams. It takes time to rebuild that into a power team. Had eichorst had his back, I believe he could have turned things around.

But let's not pretend Bo was a bad coach. He's the best we've had since solich.

Kinda proves my earlier point that he hung his hat on the defensive talent he inherited. I'd hardly call it revisionist history to say blowouts killed him.

Here's some scores from the Pelini years after leaving the Big 12. This would account for three years of Pelini recruits filling out the roster:

(8) Nebraska @ (7) Wisconsin: 17-48 L

(13) Nebraska v (9) Michigan State: 24-3 W

(19) Nebraska @ (12) Penn State: 17-14 W

(17) Nebraska @ (20) Michigan: 17-45 L

(21) Nebraska v (10) South Carolina: 13-30 L

(21) Nebraska v (12) Ohio State: 38-63 L

Nebraska v (20) Michigan: 23-9 W

(14) Nebraska v Wisconsin: 31-70 L - Conf. Championship Game

(23) Nebraska v (6) Georgia: 31-45 L

(23) Nebraska v (16) UCLA: 21-41 L

Nebraska v (14) Mich State: 28-41 L

Nebraska v (23) Georgia: 24-19 W

(19) Nebraska v (10) Mich State: 22-27 L

(11) Nebraska v (22) Wisconsin: 24-59 L

This is the entire library of Pelini's games v ranked opponents plus one conference championship game appearance. Awful stuff.

I completely agree that he had a terrible AD. If he had Trev I think it would have been a bit different but his scheme got absolutely exposed time and time again and he never adjusted. The exact same results took place at LSU when they brought him in.

• Thanks 2

I think Narduzzi would be slightly underwhelming.  He's older and has sub .600 winning percentage which is worse than most candidates on the odds list, and if he stayed five years - I think we would make a bowl for 3 of those seasons.  It could be worse than Narduzzi, but it would feel underwhelming and I think we'd have some seasons where we just squeak into a bowl and the fans' behinds would be puckered a bit too much for comfort.  He's a bit too susceptible to some roller coaster seasons I don't think it's worth the time to look into him much. 

• Thanks 1