Can Mickey Hire Fresh Now?

Husker03

I know everybody would like one thing or another, and I know there is something to be said for trying to remain as stable as possible during an early season shake up like this. That said, this is Mickey's audition. In a perfect world, it goes way better than planned and he's the next Nick Saban/Ed O combination that delivers NU to the promised land for years to come. In a less perfect world, he does well enough to land a HC gig somewhere else after NU brings in Urban or whatever god of coaching we can bring in. At the end of the day, all of it works best if Mickey is allowed to try to salvage the team the way he sees fit. So.. The question is. If he were to can Chin, does he have to promote from within or could he bring in an entirely different defensive mind for his DC?

2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I know everybody would like one thing or another, and I know there is something to be said for trying to remain as stable as possible during an early season shake up like this. That said, this is Mickey's audition. In a perfect world, it goes way better than planned and he's the next Nick Saban/Ed O combination that delivers NU to the promised land for years to come. In a less perfect world, he does well enough to land a HC gig somewhere else after NU brings in Urban or whatever god of coaching we can bring in. At the end of the day, all of it works best if Mickey is allowed to try to salvage the team the way he sees fit. So.. The question is. If he were to can Chin, does he have to promote from within or could he bring in an entirely different defensive mind for his DC?

Theoretically sounds like he has the ability to make whatever changes he sees fit, but it's really hard to hire guys mid-season. They would pretty much need to be unemployed, and most of those guys are unemployed for a reason. No self-respecting coach will quit his job midseason to take another one. Somebody in an analyst role might, but probably wouldn't either. Most likely if he fired Chins he's promote Fisher and then elevate a couple of current analysts to fill in the gaps left by Frost/Chins. But I suspect Chins keeps his job and MJ tells him to make changes in how they play. Frost wouldn't dictate any specific defensive style, MJ  probably will.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I would think you promote from within. Me personally MJ job is on the line so what benefit does keeping EC around? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

How is he going to bring in a brand new DC mid-season?

Somebody like a Bo pelini. I know Bo isn’t coming here, but surely there are people out there with expertise that are not currently employed. And certainly a lot of them will probably better for Mickey than Chinander. My question is.  Can it be done? Not, is it likely to happen.  Can he call his cousin/buddy Gus and offer him 400k to come DC for him if he wants to?

• Plus1 1

The only scenario I see for replacing Chins mid-season would be either Bill Busch as DC, or Fisher as DC and Busch taking over the secondary. Busch a pretty accomplished secondary coach and has been a DC at a lower level, while Fisher just seems like the most competent of the defensive position coaches. I would lean toward Busch as DC to be honest if a change was made.

But I still think MJ just orders Chins to be more aggressive and simpler. I have been a Chins defender, but the backslide this year is inexcusable and he's not putting players in good positions at all. I think even a good DC has one or two calls a game where the offense just has them in the exact alignment they want, but it's been more like 10 times a game this year like this: 

9RDKE2m.png

I don't care if it's 3rd and 10, this is too easy for the offense and they were constantly getting looks like this. Buford probably should've slowed him down enough to save the TD, but it was close to an automatic first down just based on the defensive look. The Buford forced fumble against NW was another example where we just lined up already outflanked, and it took a great individual play 15 yards downfield  to salvage it.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The only scenario I see for replacing Chins mid-season would be either Bill Busch as DC, or Fisher as DC and Busch taking over the secondary. Busch a pretty accomplished secondary coach and has been a DC at a lower level, while Fisher just seems like the most competent of the defensive position coaches. I would lean toward Busch as DC to be honest if a change was made.

But I still think MJ just orders Chins to be more aggressive and simpler. I have been a Chins defender, but the backslide this year is inexcusable and he's not putting players in good positions at all. I think even a good DC has one or two calls a game where the offense just has them in the exact alignment they want, but it's been more like 10 times a game this year like this: 

9RDKE2m.png

I don't care if it's 3rd and 10, this is too easy for the offense and they were constantly getting looks like this. Buford probably should've slowed him down enough to save the TD, but it was close to an automatic first down just based on the defensive look. The Buford forced fumble against NW was another example where we just lined up already outflanked, and it took a great individual play 15 yards downfield  to salvage it.

This looks like a drill a coach would set up to help the RB hit the middle of the OL and gain a lot of confidence.  

Even my wife, who hates football, saw the replay and commented "was the defense short a guy?"...

13 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

9RDKE2m.png

Exactly. This is almost criminal by Chinander. 

• Fire 1