To the People Singing the Offenses’ Praises

husker009

41 minutes ago, admo said:

So, with new players, new starters, new rotations, new OC, different plays, new OL Coach, etc... there is no excuse or time to work together and improve?  That is literally what the early season games are for.

I am not as worried, son.  If you want to, go for it.  

I have just been let down too many times the last couple of decades. I try not to build any hope anymore so I don't get disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I haven't seen anyone proclaiming our offense is amazingly great.  However, they have scored 28, 38 and 42 points.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't remember them putting the defense in bad situations with turnovers giving the other team short fields in the losses.  I know it didn't happen this game.  

I don't know what anyone expects more from the offense against an FCS team.  42 points, 575 yards, zero turnovers.  They marched down the field at the end of the game 98 yards for a go ahead TD.  We have a 100 yard rusher in every game.  

They have done enough to win games.  Are they going to be able to do it against OU and the rest of the schedule?  I have no idea.  I'm assuming they will not put up the stats they have been.  They might even look horrible the rest of the way against good teams.  But....it's not the offense's fault we are sitting at 1-2.  It's not special team's fault either.

This record falls squarely on the defense.  

I certainly agree that the defense hasn't held up to their end. I'm just concerned that the offense won't be able to sustain their level of play against better competition. Better teams are going to center their game plan around stopping Grant and making Thompson air it out. With the lackluster receiving group, that will be a problem.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.  Were they perfect in the NW game?  No.  Have they improved every game?  Yes.

Now, those were against FCS teams.  But, I remember some FCS teams where our offense didn't do this well.  Now, they have to prove it against good teams.  I'm a heck of a lot more confident in them doing that then our defense being able to do it.

Georgia Southern is not an FCS team.  They have actually been to 4 bowl games since 2015, winning 3 of them.  Most notable is beating Louisiana Tech 38-3 in 2020.  

Now I do completely agree - the offense has not been the problem this season.  They have absolutely done enough to win all 3 games imo.

36 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I certainly agree that the defense hasn't held up to their end. I'm just concerned that the offense won't be able to sustain their level of play against better competition. Better teams are going to center their game plan around stopping Grant and making Thompson air it out. With the lackluster receiving group, that will be a problem.

I understand that concern. However, what else do you want the offense to do to this point?  They don’t deserve to be labeled the best offense in the last 20 years. But, I’m not sure how they could have done better these first few games with an all new staff and new players. 

10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Georgia Southern is not an FCS team.  They have actually been to 4 bowl games since 2015, winning 3 of them.  Most notable is beating Louisiana Tech 38-3 in 2020.  

Now I do completely agree - the offense has not been the problem this season.  They have absolutely done enough to win all 3 games imo.

Then, they did what they did on Saturday against an FBS team.  Great. They did what they were supposed to do.