Do you think the Nebraska job is a Rebuild or they can win now

I know that Trev Alberts said rebuild in his press conference but I truly believe that the Nebraska job isnt a rebuild. What I believe is that Nebraska can get the best possible coach and they can bring out the best out of those kids and win. Meaning with great coaching put the kids in the best possible position to succeed. Thoughts on Nebraska being a rebuild or can win with elite staff?????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We have talent on this team to win the west. Above that, will take some time. 

But, until that happens, at least we could enjoy winning the west every so often and competing for it every year. 

I don’t see that talent that people keep on referencing. There is some talent at the skill positions, but not nearly enough depth.  The defense has very few playmakers (if any).

Our talent level is middle of the pack in the West, but the good thing is that the top isn’t that far ahead. I am not talking about recruiter talent, I’m talking about the talent I see on the field every game.

I think this team is closer to a rebuild, than a win quickly rebuild. The good part, is that a turnaround may be available with the transfer portal, but the long rebuild needs to be completed on both lines. 

• Plus1 4

24 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

The OL and DL need built.  Outside of that, it is just culture.  My view is that Frost never got those two areas ever recruited or developed.

This, moreso to the DL. I think there are things you can do on the OL that can pay immediate divdends...whereas our DL, you can't just magically learn half-man on a rush in the immediate term, of course they could just say to the ends "get up field" but unless you understand it, our guys will just get washed by. Additionally our hand fighting (getting half man, hitting arms, etc) is poor. Very robotic

• Plus1 1

Coaches aren't paid 5 million a year to just be great coaches.  They are expected to work the portal.  They are expected to create NIL deals. They are expected to recruit. They are expected to work the fanbase.

No time for rebuilds.  Show progress in 2-3 years, or at least sell the fan base on whatever you got.  If you aren't a coach, you better damn well be a salesman....

• Plus1 1

The right coach will draw the in recruits and transfers that we need and will have immediate impact. I think he will improve the play of our existing players who return next year as well. Right now the OL & DL are on he biggest concern and may be a rebuild projects taking a few years to build depth 

Just now, funhusker said:

Coaches aren't paid 5 million a year to just be great coaches.  They are expected to work the portal.  They are expected to create NIL deals. They are expected to recruit. They are expected to work the fanbase.

No time for rebuilds.  Show progress in 2-3 years, or at least sell the fan base on whatever you got.  If you aren't a coach, you better damn well be a salesman....

Good coaches make progress in 2-3 years, and that’s been proven. But, there is still a difference in making good progress in 2-3 years, and building a consistent, great program. The latter is going to take time, but getting to 7-8-9 wins is very do-able in a short time period. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I don’t think it takes a whole lot of rebuilding to get to 6 wins and a bowl game. But I agree that to get to 9, it will take some rebuilding on the lines and with some depth.

The transfer portal can make for quick changes though.

Agree here.

I would guess we will see crazy player turnover this off-season. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

This, moreso to the DL. I think there are things you can do on the OL that can pay immediate divdends...whereas our DL, you can't just magically learn half-man on a rush in the immediate term, of course they could just say to the ends "get up field" but unless you understand it, our guys will just get washed by. Additionally our hand fighting (getting half man, hitting arms, etc) is poor. Very robotic

It's not that I disagree ... it's just that the only OL I can point to worth anything only gave us one decent season before he moved on.  

Scott got his OL coach, and we heard all sorts of new coachspeak about really firing off the ball finally.  Still, even with his choices for players and for coach, through the three easiest games we looked at a minimum adequate in the OL.  I don't think that the OL is fixed yet, but perhaps there are a few "tricks" to mask the deficiency.  We are all waiting.  If you've got "immediate dividends", please contact the coaches and get your expertise to them.  They could use that about now.

When I think rebuild, I think of a need to completely wipe out and restructure an entire mindset and program a la 2017 when both Eichorst and Riley were let go. I don't think that's where Nebraska is out right now. IMO they're closer to being a good team than they are being a bad team

On paper, they're more than capable of being a bowl eligible team. It's all the the little things from being a "good" team to being a "great" team that they need to resolve. Perhaps their biggest need (and maybe this does require a rebuild... I'm not in the weeds enough) is how the program approaches recruiting and player development. It is uncommon in modern day college football to have most of your recruiting class still be there 3-4 years later, but you HAVE to hit on some key guys and critical positions in order to be successful in the Power 5. I look across this roster and I see a lot of guys that don't look like they've earned their spot, but more that they were the best of a questionable bunch. That's a tough position to be in.

• Fire 1