Do you think the Nebraska job is a Rebuild or they can win now

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We’re you saying that Farniok was a great talent when he was here?

He was a highly regarded recruit who started early in his career at NU, but yes he was very average at NU.  Also, Farniok is on a NFL roster because he can play both guard positions and center. He’s a perfect backup lineman. 

We don’t need to go in circles with this. NU’s ceiling with this roster is 7-5 or 8-4 if everything goes right. Getting the program to 9-10 wins on a regular basis will require improved talent and development on the lines. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He was a highly regarded recruit who started early in his career at NU, but yes he was very average at NU.

We don’t need to go in circles with this. NU’s ceiling with this roster is 7-5 or 8-4 if everything goes right. Getting the program to 9-10 wins on a regular basis will require improved talent and development on the lines. 

I disagree. 

The thing is, we will never know because next year, when the staff is different, the roster will be different. 

I think we agree the staff HC needs replaced. That’s happening. Next year will be fun seeing what happens. 

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree. 

The thing is, we will never know because next year, when the staff is different, the roster will be different. 

I think we agree the staff HC needs replaced. That’s happening. Next year will be fun seeing what happens. 

I just think NU’s o-line has a ways to go to be considered in the top half of the conference. If there was talent and depth, why is a guy less than a year from a major knee injury not allowed the proper time to recover and being forced to start?

• Plus1 2

I strongly believe that the right coach will have this team 8-4 in first year and competing for big ten championship the following year. Frost was way over his head from the get go and apparently was just shooting in the dark hoping that something works out. This is why we had four years of trial and error with mostly failure. The right coach can inspire the talent we have and turn things around quickly. This team has as much talent as Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota if not more. What we didn’t have were the right coaches that can come up with game plans to utilize our talent and get the best out of them. Trev will get the right person here and we will compete again. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

It’s a rebuild. Are there some tools in the toolbox? Yes. The portal certainly helps. Nebraskas actually in a great spot with the portal because it’s just bad enough that great programs can cycle guys here and we can pick off talent from the G5/FCS. It’s kinda already setting up that way. 

That said, this team should be bowling next year with the returning production numbers. It’s probably four years away from competing for the big ten with the right coach. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Your analysis of the o-line is much different than mine. Other than Prochazka, I see a lot of below average players. I see too many guys on the front 6-7 getting pushed around to consider them talented. 

Sam McKewon made a good point in his OWH article today. The roster is built with long and fast players, but he doesn’t see any freak athletes with strength and fast twitch. That’s the type of talent that is missing. 

You see guys most likely not playing to the best of their abilities. You see dudes going thru the motions. You see dudes that are so used to losing, their zeal has been zapped. Give these cats a coach that knows what he’s doing, you’ll see real improvement, quickly. The easiest thing to assume is, these players all suck. They don’t. This is a 100% coaching, culture, losing and attitude problem. 

• Plus1 2

When I saw this years schedule I thought we had a chance for at least a .500 season. This program has been destroyed from the top down. We do have talented players but the desire to win has been beaten out of the program. I wholeheartedly agree with Trev Alberts when he said we need to stop living in the past and forget who Nebraska used to be. That team exists no more. The best we should hope for this season is to see that our kids are still fighting in the 4th quarter. When that starts to happen we will see a true turn around beginning. We need to have realistic expectations…a loosing 5th year coach doesn’t just suddenly figure it all out. This season was doomed when Frost was given the 5th year. On top of that, we didn’t even save any money by starting another miracle year 

Seems obvious the defense needs a massive overhaul.  

Probably the offensive line too.  I don't know if there's one fundamental problem that needs fixed but it seems like it's been a downward spiral since Cotton was railroaded out of the job.  We need to find somebody who can right the ship.

There's a reason Trev emphasized the trenches in the press conference.  Tons of rebuilding need done on both sides.

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Seems obvious the defense needs a massive overhaul.  

Probably the offensive line too.  I don't know if there's one fundamental problem that needs fixed but it seems like it's been a downward spiral since Cotton was railroaded out of the job.  We need to find somebody who can right the ship.

There's a reason Trev emphasized the trenches in the press conference.  Tons of rebuilding need done on both sides.

Sad thing is, I was interested in seeing how our current O line coach would do developing players.

12 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I strongly believe that the right coach will have this team 8-4 in first year and competing for big ten championship the following year. Frost was way over his head from the get go and apparently was just shooting in the dark hoping that something works out. This is why we had four years of trial and error with mostly failure. The right coach can inspire the talent we have and turn things around quickly. This team has as much talent as Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota if not more. What we didn’t have were the right coaches that can come up with game plans to utilize our talent and get the best out of them. Trev will get the right person here and we will compete again. 

I don't "strongly" believe that.  But I can see it, yes.  I think the stuff in the gym and practice field may have been about 75% or so.  Puke or not.  The right coach can up that and get us in that 8 win range I think.  Puke or not.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BaytownHusker said:

Call me crazy if you want to, We will win 6-7 of the remaining games. I truly believe as we all do the culture with Frost around was Bad. MJ probably already has that 60% trending the right way. 

I hope you're right. I'll settle with five and a toilet bowl somewhere this December. 

Also, if Mickey does get them to a (toilet) bowl...does that mean the job is his? I mean...that's a hell of an improvement in a short amount of time...