Do you think the Nebraska job is a Rebuild or they can win now

I think we have a good bit of talent... depending on who we hire, I think we can lure much more and have a quick turnaround. If MJ is given the job, I expect an influx of southern kids who are familiar with him to make the move. If Meyer is hired, our recruiting will immediately take off. Hire one of those middle of the road guys, like Campbell or Klieman or Leipold, and I expect things to improve, but at a slower pace.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think we have a good bit of talent... depending on who we hire, I think we can lure much more and have a quick turnaround. If MJ is given the job, I expect an influx of southern kids who are familiar with him to make the move. If Meyer is hired, our recruiting will immediately take off. Hire one of those middle of the road guys, like Campbell or Klieman or Leipold, and I expect things to improve, but at a slower pace.

But I also believe that the Campbell, Klieman or Leipold don't have the national pull to go get kids from Florida or Texas or California. I mean do you honestly feel like Matt Campbell can go get 4 star kids out side of the midwest. Nebraska needs national kids to compete always have always will.  Nebraska tried to have kids come from Florida but SF said they weren't the right kids for the program. MJ has enough pull in Louisiana rn but you have to wonder exactly what other Huskerboard members already talked about with kids and staying or going depending on MJ.

We aren't Ohio State but we're fine on talent compared to the rest of the West. Plus the transfer portal can obviously be heavily worked, if you can attract players it's a new era in terms of turning a team around. Think a S&C update will help too. Under Riley S&C was halfassed, under Frost it's fullassed but we're working hard rather than smart. With the right staff in place we may well not be world-beaters out of the gate but we can have a winning season. From there we can build towards a team that plays on New Years. 

4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

But I also believe that the Campbell, Klieman or Leipold don't have the national pull to go get kids from Florida or Texas or California. I mean do you honestly feel like Matt Campbell can go get 4 star kids out side of the midwest. 

Bo Pelini, Mike Riley, and Scott Frost were all able to get 4* kids outside the midwest.

I don't know why all of a sudden a one of the coaches you list wouldn't be able to.  I mean Campbell pulled a 4* from Florida to Ames last year.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I think Campbell still recruits a lot in the Ohio area, so the leftovers that Ohio State and some of the bigger boys from the region don't want.  He is able to coach his players up unlike Frost and Riley,  though.  He can up a player a star or so past what they are considered.

Iowa State has visited our school.  There is a ton of talent here that is left over.  Most of them end up in MAC schools.  But, it really comes down to development.  Can we develop kids to make them better.

The recruiting knock on Campbell is fair, but it's already been confirmed that Mickey will be retained as AHC by Steve Wiltfong, so it's fair to assume there won't be a fall-off.

Another key piece of his recruiting results is the fact that ISU has a really underdeveloped NIL program. He's going to have tools he's never used and would stand a much better chance in deep waters.

This is actually true about any we'd hire outside of Stoops, since UK has a pretty solid NIL base to work with.

It's like people have already forgotten how huge it was that Whipple, Joseph, Raiola, and Busch were landed on staff. Ok, maybe not Raiola - but the other three were huge moves for us.

The offensive side of the ball needs no "rebuild" whatsoever. It has all the talent & scheme design and leadership it needs to win at least 6 of the remaining 9 games this season.

But defensively I think everyone but Travis Fisher is pretty much earmarked to be fired...and honestly maybe even let him go.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Huh?

There is no way it is known by anyone right now that Mickey will stay on next year.

AHC = "associate head coach". Brian Kelly tried to retain him as such.

I mean sure anything can happen, but Wiltfong said via Malachi Coleman that Mickey's on a 3-year deal and that he's "not going anywhere". The value he provides a new staff is huge and a lot of people familiar with him don't describe him as a head coach. It would really shock me if he was let go by a new staff. The guy has an exceptional reputation nationally.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

AHC = "associate head coach". Brian Kelly tried to retain him as such.

I mean sure anything can happen, but Wiltfong said via Malachi Coleman that Mickey's on a 3-year deal and that he's "not going anywhere". The value he provides a new staff is huge and a lot of people familiar with him don't describe him as a head coach. It would really shock me if he was let go by a new staff. The guy has an exceptional reputation nationally.

Coleman or MJ himself have no clue if he will be back next year.  A 3 year contract means nothing.

I mean none of the coaches on the staff have any clue if they will be here next year.  It is pure speculation.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Coleman or MJ himself have no clue if he will be back next year.  A 3 year contract means nothing.

I mean none of the coaches on the staff have any clue if they will be here next year.  It is pure speculation.

Yeah fair, it's speculation until there's a university press release but this is a message board where we speculate. Doesn't mean there's not a very high likelihood. Wiltfong wouldn't report it if there was a low likelihood that it was true.

• Haha 1