Do you think the Nebraska job is a Rebuild or they can win now

It's pretty much a rebuild, but we have a lot of "skill position" talent....whatever that means. To use the Three Little Pigs analogy, we're the first two houses. We need to get some bricks. Oddly, the positions our part of the country is known for producing, big linemen, fullbacks, and linebackers, are what we're lacking.

• TBH 1

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

And if he can't he is remembered as a has-been failure. Thats the problem. He is already cemented as a great. Could winning at NU take him higher? Yes but is it also incredibly risky? Yes 

He's already remembered somewhat as a has been failure after Jacksonville. We can't know how much that bothers him, but I'm sure it tastes a bit like a poo sandwich every time he wakes up.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

He's already remembered somewhat as a has been failure after Jacksonville. We can't know how much that bothers him, but I'm sure it tastes a bit like a poo sandwich every time he wakes up.

Absolutely and I'm saying failure here drives him even further that direction. He probably does want to go out a winner but he can't afford to lose again IMO. He would be better off as a college legend and NFL failure than a guy who can't coach anymore. Just my 2 cents

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I see we’ve reached the “Urban Meyer would rather coach at Nebraska than Alabama” part of the coaching search.

Fair enough. When you put it that way, I guess I get it. I think Urban presents in a rare situation for sure, but maybe he does want to take over a program built by somebody else and keep it level for a few years until he retires.

Remember that woman on this board who was always harping about how we had to hire Frost and if you disagreed she would tell the mods that you were harassing her?
I'm sure Alberts knows a lot more about coaches than me and after just seeing him let Frost go, I think he'll fix our coaching and recruiting problems. I'm just hoping for a great DC, whether that's a head coach or addition to Joseph's staff. Will it magically happen overnight? I doubt it.

If Mickey could fire War Daddy Duval today and replace him with some random person from the local planet fitness the line play might actually improve.

It was a good day in Laramie when he left town.

(Edit) below is what occurred before and after he left

2020 Wyoming Season 2-4 (covid)
2019 Wyoming Season 8-5
2018 Wyoming Season 6-6
2017 Wyoming Season 8-5
2016 Wyoming Season 8-6

Duval Leaves
2015 Wyoming Season 2-10
2014 Wyoming Season 4-8

Duval Hired

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

He was an up an coming coach trying to cut his teeth when he was coaching for Bowling Green and Utah. Now he has a reputation to uphold and after Jacksonville he can't afford another failure. If you think Sabans stint with the Dolphins is the same as Jacksonville last year maybe its time you refresh your memory. Saban wasn't fired from the Dolphins, he accepted the Alabama job after going 9-7 and 6-10. A far cry from Meyers time in the NFL. And frankly, the Nebraska job is a far cry from the Alabama job. Its easier at Bama plain and simple.

It might be easier recruiting-wise, but as far as level of competition goes, I beg to differ. The fact that Nebraska isn't in fertile recruiting grounds just proves the point of why we need someone who can lure elite talent to Lincoln. And regardless of your breakdown, the bottom line is that both Urban and Saban were NFL failures who are elite college-level coaches.

• TBH 1

23 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It might be easier recruiting-wise, but as far as level of competition goes, I beg to differ. The fact that Nebraska isn't in fertile recruiting grounds just proves the point of why we need someone who can lure elite talent to Lincoln. And regardless of your breakdown, the bottom line is that both Urban and Saban were NFL failures who are elite college-level coaches.

Saban didn't fail out of the NFL. He chose to go to Alabama. Urban was ran out of Jacksonville. Big difference. The scenarios are far from parallel.

Saban was a good coach but not a college legend at that point. Urban Meyers legacy in college is set as an all time great if he never coaches another game.

I'm not saying he can't win here but to me with the current state of the program it would be a big time risk for him to try and right the ship. If he gets it done then yes it further adds to his legacy as an elite college coach and possibly vaults him into the same sentence as Saban. But if he fails to bring us to national prominence he will be more remembered for his failures at the end of his career than for his success early in it. High risk high reward but the thing is he is in a position to quit while he is ahead.

If we can land the guy whatever I will support him and our team it just doesn't seem likely at all to me.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Saban didn't fail out of the NFL. He chose to go to Alabama.

The writing was on the wall. 6-10 wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. Bama entered the frame at the precise moment and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

He's 272-67 in college. He was 15-17 in the NFL. 'Nuff said.

Is it likely? No. Is it remotely possible? Yes.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The writing was on the wall. 6-10 wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. Bama entered the frame at the precise moment and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

He's 272-67 in college. He was 15-17 in the NFL. 'Nuff said.

Is it likely? No. Is it remotely possible? Yes.

15-17 and leaving on your own accord is far different than 2-11 and getting fired midseason. Like not even close at all. Nuff said.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

15-17 and leaving on your own accord is far different than 2-11 and getting fired midseason. Like not even close at all. Nuff said.

Well you made your point that Saban won more football games in the NFL but the Dolphins were going to fire him. There was alot of chatter about his loses. In the end does it really matter how much more games he won or that he lasted 2 years instead of not even one. Not really bc HE WAS A FAILURE. We aren't talking who is a bigger failure bc in the end both didn't succeed period.

• Thanks 1